Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

sick in Tacoma
Posted by: ambaryarena ()
Date: October 08, 2008 07:08PM

I've been raw for over a year now. I've lived my whole life in the suburbs of the Twin Cities in Minnesota. I just moved about six weeks ago to Tacoma, WA (about 40 minutes south of Seattle) and I have been SICK!

At first I thought it was just adjusting to living in a dorm with lots of other kids (I am in college-- and my roomate smokes cigarettes, etc). But I have continued to have head-cold like symptoms with congestion, ocassional sore throat, ears popping, headache-y, etc. And I never felt like this at home. My nose was always clear, and I rarely felt sick.

I feel like I am constantly detoxing maybe? I guess my question is if yall think the change in environment is enough to do this? Tacoma is considered an industrial, dirty city, but this is a little ridiculous. I feel like I'm living in New York or something!

My diet has remained the same--lots of fruits, salads, very little overt fat (like 8-1-1 if anyone is familiar--but probably with more like 5% fat). I considered it to be a pretty "clean" diet. No processed raw junk, etc. Just fresh fruits and veggies. I guess I have smoked weed since being here...would that have an effect like this?

Any suggestions for what I should do? I feel like I'm constantly clearing my sinuses/nasal passages of JUNK... Especially when I wake up in the morning...

Maybe someone has gone through a similar experience??

Thanks so much
Ambar

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sick in Tacoma
Posted by: pampam ()
Date: October 08, 2008 07:21PM

I live near Tacoma. Welcome smiling smiley

Sometimes it is the weather that produces the symptoms. I was talking to someone who just moved out here and she was haveing simular symptoms. Smoking would cause such symptoms and smelling others smoke. I use to smoke cigs and had phlem and sinus problems. We havent had so much rain here lately though its been real sunney lately but there is a lot of moisture in the air.
There are some things you can do for sinus and one is to snif wheat grass juice up in the sinus. That is one suggestion Ann Wigmore had. You can also clear sinuses by useing salt water.

How long have you been here? Have you found all the whole food places? It seems that Marlenes is practally the only place around. You can get some wheat grass there.

Best of luck

Date: October 08, 2008 10:40PM

I do have a netti (sp?) pot and was thinking I would try and use that.

I have been to Marlene's and yes, it does seem to be just about it. I picked up some Floradix there the other day so I was happy to have at least one natural foods store!

Thanks for your thoughts. I will definitely try the wheatgrass idea as well.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 08, 2008 10:42PM

I hear you man. Sure. Living in the same environment as smokers is enough right there. Add to it the natural environmental stuff of living in a city....and/or an old building and VOILA! All you can do is what you can do man. The above suggestions are great. Eat healthy, clean out your nasal passages....eat more simply...and do not smoke. Get plenty of air and exercise in woody environments whenever possible. I seem to recall some decent parks in and around Tacoma.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 09, 2008 03:27AM

Could there be mold in your living space? Perhaps you can get a air cleaner that will filter stuff out of your indoor air.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: October 09, 2008 06:42AM

Are you liveing in the North end of Tacoma? Just wondering what college you are attending. I love the old houses in the north end and it is such a nice neighborhood. Some of the large industries in Tacoma have quit business and are being cleaned up the best they can. Asarco deposited mass amounts of arsnic in the soil in some areas in Rustin and other areas. The mills have not been so stinkey as they were years ago. I never liked the water in Tacoma. One thing I loved were the old buildings. I think it takes an adjustment to different climates. If you can open a window a crack at night That might help a bit.

Hope it clears up for you

Date: October 09, 2008 07:29AM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'll look into getting an air filter, thanks Bryan. And DZM your ideas/suggestions are always wonderful.

Pampam I'm going to UPS. I am in an old building. What more its a dorm so who knows whats going on in the walls... blech.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: October 09, 2008 06:03PM

Gotta add my two cents on the air filter --

Go for it! My air filter is the most expensive thing I own besides my (crappy!) car. Having a good air filter is vital for anyone suffering from the symptoms you describe. It is key to have the room in which you sleep be as "clean" as possible.

Also, keep the room in which you sleep as dust free as possible. And, even if you think you are not allergic, eliminate your exposure to feathers, down, dust (mites), cat dander and dog dander... and cigarette smoke if possible. I don't rate as allergic to all of these items according to any official allergy tests. (I have been tested comprehensively, twice.) However, many people who don't have a reaction to allergy testing for these things find themselves experiencing fewer respiratory, sinus, and congestive type problems upon eliminating their exposure to them. Might the pharmaceutical company's tests be inaccurate? (YES!)

You are doing the right thing with eating well. Unfortunately, food is not the whole picture. I'm glad you are here though!

Best of luck to you.

Posted by: ecjames1120 ()
Date: October 11, 2008 08:35PM

Hey, I don't live in the city or have any allergies (anymore) so would it be beneficial/worthwhile for me (or for anyone else) to still invest in an air filter for the room?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables