Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Question for those of you who use Coconut Oil....
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: October 11, 2008 10:57PM

What is the best kind to get? Traditional Phillipine or Centrifiuged ?

I get mine from here and I can't decide which to use. I like the "Traditional" taste better.
[www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com]

But supposedly the Medium Chain Acids are one of the benefits of coconut oil and the other kind has more.

[www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com]

Any thoughts? Besides "just eat a coconut".
Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for those of you who use Coconut Oil....
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 14, 2008 03:53AM

IMO, the best coconut oil is from Quality First.

I've tried at least eight different kinds including wildness family natural's (which is pretty decent).

Posted by: frances ()
Date: October 14, 2008 02:52PM

I would go with the "traditional" if you feel that it tastes better. I don't think you can go wrong with raw and yummy.

The science around which nutrients are healthy and/or necessary is far from complete, and I wouldn't choose one variety over another on the basis of a single nutrient. Next year scientists may discover another exciting nutrient that's more prevalent in the other variety. It's unpredictable, and in the end probably not completely knowable.

As I see it, the best answer is to follow your personal taste, and to eat a diet that's varied enough to hedge your nutritional bets. Especially in this case, since the nutrient in question is one you'll get from either variety, just in different amounts.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 14, 2008 03:40PM

Hmm, I imagine different people have different availability depending on where you are in the world. I get organic, non-refined, cold-pressed.

Posted by: rufio ()
Date: October 14, 2008 06:11PM

I use the centrifuged CO. More lauric acid and longer shelf life, it says. I use the stuff very sparingly.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 15, 2008 09:41AM

Date: October 17, 2008 07:48AM

I agree with Frances! I'm often asked which virgin coconut oil (VCO) brand is the best. And my usual response is "The best VCO brand is the one the agrees with your nose and taste buds." At the end of the day, all that really matters is if you like the scent and taste of the oil, right?

Since I'm here in the Philippines, I have an endless array of VCO brands to choose from. The brand that I'm taking at least four tablespoons of VCO daily is obviously in agreement with my nose and taste buds. And you know what, I know full well that it isn't made from 100% fresh coconuts. I know that dried or dessicated coconuts are used as well. But hey, I have no problems with the aroma and flavor, and you can't beat the price and availability.

Interestingly, the medium chain fatty acid content of refined or processed coconut oil is essentially the same as virgin coconut oil. I know this sounds unbelievable but it's true. For me, the difference, if any, is insignificant.

Cheers,
Frederick
[www.coconut-oil-central.com]
Your Drugstore in a Bottle

Posted by: stylestacey ()
Date: October 17, 2008 07:51AM

what exactly is eating coconut oil good for?

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: October 17, 2008 09:42AM

I get my coconut oil as part of the whole food. The natural coconut comes in a shell surrounded by a husk. Here's some pictures and description: [en.wikipedia.org]
I like to blend together the coconut pulp and the coconut juice of the young coconut for a delicious drink and as always is the case the whole food is more nutritionally complete then the separated, processed, and packaged product.

Posted by: sunshazza ()
Date: October 17, 2008 09:56PM

You're definatley right about eating coconut fresh and whole without all the processing.

That being said, the coconut oil has many health benefits if eaten in the right quantites. Some people find it hard to find good fresh coconuts to get
their daily supply of its goodness. That is where the coconut oil will come in very handy.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: October 17, 2008 10:51PM

I use Coconut Oil, but I'd never consider putting it
in my Body. It makes a good lubricant. I use it all around
my house, especially on my Wheatgrass Juicer auger, and at
the bottom of my sliding-glass doors.....WY

Date: October 20, 2008 02:01AM

stylestacey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what exactly is eating coconut oil good for?

It tastes good & doesn't make you gain weight (at least it doesn't make me gain weight). It is very stable & a high end brand (like Quality First) can last for years.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: October 20, 2008 03:29AM

I bought it once (spectrum) and it tasted like soap.

I'd rather have an actual coconut now and then.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 21, 2008 02:23PM

Maybe the soap tasted like coconut oil, arugula. winking smiley ANd you just experienced soap first.

Date: October 22, 2008 02:19AM

I don't remember ever actually tasting soap, it was more the smell. Definitely not appealing in any way. It was expensive, too.

But I agree totally with what the spectrum people write on their website: this is better than butter for cooking, sauteeing, etc. And not to overdo it.

Posted by: mira ()
Date: October 23, 2008 11:52PM

CoconutOilGuy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with Frances! I'm often asked which virgin
> coconut oil (VCO) brand is the best. And my usual
> response is "The best VCO brand is the one the
> agrees with your nose and taste buds." At the end
> of the day, all that really matters is if you like
> the scent and taste of the oil, right?
>
> Since I'm here in the Philippines, I have an
> endless array of VCO brands to choose from. The
> brand that I'm taking at least four tablespoons of
> VCO daily is obviously in agreement with my nose
> and taste buds. And you know what, I know full
> well that it isn't made from 100% fresh coconuts.
> I know that dried or dessicated coconuts are used
> as well. But hey, I have no problems with the
> aroma and flavor, and you can't beat the price and
> availability.
>
> Interestingly, the medium chain fatty acid content
> of refined or processed coconut oil is essentially
> the same as virgin coconut oil. I know this sounds
> unbelievable but it's true. For me, the
> difference, if any, is insignificant.
>
> Cheers,
> Frederick
> [www.coconut-oil-central.com]
> Your Drugstore in a Bottle

Wow!!!! I fee like i've found my twin!!! I just discovered your site, and read the articles with a large smile on my face!!! A site dedicated to coconut oil!!!! Too beautiful to be true! You are so lucky to live in the philippines, im really jealous now...!

I could also eat coconut all day long, no matter if its fresh dried or the oil by itself....

You just made my day! smiling smiley

Date: October 24, 2008 01:24AM

[the medium chain fatty acid content of refined or processed coconut oil is essentially the same as virgin coconut oil. I know]

The proportion of different fatty acid chain lengths should be exactly the same.

But there will be some oxidation not only of the fatty acids, also of the fat soluble phytochemicals present, in the processing, including the extraction, the dehydration of the fruit, etc.

I think fresh coconut tastes great, best when you've just cracked it open. It becomes fair-to-middling pretty quickly after a few days in the fridge. After a week I can hardly stand it.

Date: October 24, 2008 11:25AM

mira, thanks a lot for the kind remarks! Yeah, be it fresh, dried or straight from the container, the humble coconut (coconut oil, coconut milk, coconut water, coconut meat, etc.) will nourish me and my twin! :-)

I wish I could post like this every night before I go to bed. You made my night! :-)

arugula, "But there will be some oxidation not only of the fatty acids, also of the fat soluble phytochemicals present, in the processing, including the extraction, the dehydration of the fruit, etc."

- I agree. As a result, will the difference in health benefits between virgin and refined coconut oil be significant?

Cheers,
Frederick
[www.coconut-oil-central.com]
Your Drugstore in a Bottle

Date: October 24, 2008 12:19PM

Yes, Frederick, especially if cooked.

I still don't consider coconut to be a particularly healthy choice. But it is much less unhealthy than many other excess (no body requirement) fat options that are out there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables