Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Food Attack / Healing Crisis (?) and Mucus
Posted by: Soraya ()
Date: October 26, 2008 04:08PM

Weird heading, I know!

So it's like this...sometime Friday afternoon after my customary salad I started having some serious stomach cramps - OUCH! I was NOT a happy camper! Having had an aweful experience with food poisoning before a lot of this felt too familiar...great...I have no idea what may have been the offending ingredient(s), and now am suspicious of all those gorgeous greens and veggies that I'd only purchased the previous day. Or maybe it could've been the sprouts?...hummnnn... I haven't slept or eaten since then, of course...

It seems like my body is using this as a means of purging as well; I've been expelling loads of mucus from my nose, throat, and the - ahem! - rear end of things ;} A very surreal experience, to say the least! I don't quite mind the expulsion, or the slight elevation in temperature, but the cramping, man...has GOT to stop soon...

I'm going to make some carrot juice in a minute (been mainly doing the water thing), but I was wondering how to aid this process but maybe slow it down a bit as well; might eating (very lightly) watery fruit like grapes or watermelon help flush me out and help ease and eradicate the cramps? Any ideas, folks?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Food Attack / Healing Crisis (?) and Mucus
Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: October 26, 2008 04:47PM

Sounds like no fun! Hope you feel better soon.

If it's a bug grapefruit seed extract can be helpful. Taking a high quality probiotic is recommended by Mercola to strengthen the good bacteria (over whatever is bad right now).

Maybe staying with water until it passes and letting the body do its thing?

Bananas are of course high in potassium and can help restore the elctrolytes balance.

Posted by: ecjames1120 ()
Date: October 26, 2008 06:08PM

So, it seems like you and I were going through the same thing on Friday. Great! (Except I think I gave myself food poisoning... this actually happens about once a month...) I made a batch of kombucha this week following a youtube video (that might have been my first mistake?) anyway, I let it sit and cultivate for just over a week (closer to two?) Thursday I drank some and it tasted GREAT! I have been buying it before, but what I made tasted better than any kombucha I had ever bought before--and much more mild. So, I drank a lot of it (three tall glasses.) Yummy. Then I woke up at 3 in the morning with gas and cramps... which just got worse and worse (shall we say, classic food poisoning experiences!) until one final purge got it all up. Then I felt FABULOUS! Better than I had in weeks. I'm going to lay off all probiotics and supplements for a while... but I took advantage of the purge to 'start over'.

Today I drank some green lemonade for the first time... GLORIOUS! I think I'm going to make more before I go to work... (but to get back on track!) I think bananas are great 24/7, but I can't eat solids for about 24 hours after being sick. So, I recommend lots of green juices for your first couple of days post being sick for the mere reason that there are a bazillion (that's a real number!) different enzymes and nutrients that greens have to soothe the digestive tract, replenish lost electrolytes (add young coconut water), and really capture toxins that are loose to keep them from being reabsorbed.

Anyway, I hope you feel better!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: October 26, 2008 06:31PM

I have found that when I experience stomach distress It is better to stop putting more food in. Additional food seems to compound the problem and just adds more stuff to have to puke up.

Date: October 26, 2008 10:26PM

Thanks for the well wishes, guys! I've had stomach issues before - ecjames, I'm glad you're over yours, at least - but I can't remember having cramps quite like this! And though I love juicing ( I usually aim for 2 green & veggie juices a day) nothing but water is passing these lips right now - my intuition won't have it! I just haven't fasted in a looonngg time, so was a bit nervous about not eating and re-introducing food correctly, you know? And about not reabsorbing all the toxins that I'm sure are being released right now...

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: October 28, 2008 09:49PM

Can you tolerate raw ACV (apple cider vinegar)? Braggs w/mother is raw. Try putting 2 tbs in a glass of water. It may help. Could be you have a low HCL count issue in your stomach.

Grapefruitseed extract is also wonderful for stomach problems. 2-15 drops in a glass of water will help.

Hope you feel better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2008 09:50PM by rawangel.

Date: October 29, 2008 01:13PM

Rawangel, thanks for the suggestion, but my body doesn't like anything fermented at all!!! I am feeling much better now after drinking mainly water along with a little lemon, hot water and a touch of honey (re. Dr. Ehret's suggestion to thin out the mucus) every now and then. I was actually able to eat for the first time in four days last night! It was a rough weekend, to say the least, but I've learned so much from and through it that I can call it a blessing.

Thanks again, everyone!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables