Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Does a Romaine lettuce qualify as a dark leafy green?
Posted by: Kombaiyashii ()
Date: November 11, 2008 08:24PM

Romaine Lettuces are the most cheap organic greens I can find...I've heard that they are very nutrient dense...

I have about 1kg a day quite easily...

Is this as good as spinnach say?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does a Romaine lettuce qualify as a dark leafy green?
Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: November 12, 2008 12:23PM

[plantanswers.tamu.edu]

it seems spinach is quite higher in amino acids

depending on what nutrients you're dealing with; romaine is not exactly better then spinach, but it's not extremely far away from having equal nutrient qualities.

how much is 1kg in lbs?

Posted by: irena ()
Date: November 12, 2008 04:43PM

iLIVE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> how much is 1kg in lbs?

2.2 lbs

Date: November 12, 2008 06:10PM

irena Wrote:
> iLIVE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > how much is 1kg in lbs?
>
>
> 2.2 lbs

Is that good or bad?

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: November 12, 2008 06:18PM

are you sure?

that would be like 3-4 or large heads of lettuce.

I think that is probably overkill on your digestive system

Romaine is a good staple green but isn't a dark leafy

dark greens are like collards, kale, chard, things that arn't all that digestible raw except in small quantities.

some think its ok to just have romaine and/or celery as a greens source, but especially if you are starting out, it can't hurt to have a variety of tender greens, even conventional.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2008 06:25PM by anaken.

Date: November 12, 2008 06:39PM

Yes, I have 4 romaines per day!smiling smiley

I heard somewhere that it was recommended to have a kg of greens...i've also heard that people really experience healing when going heavier on greens and lighter on fruit.

Seriously, I've had MAJOR detox reactions when first starting out. I almost didn't want to leave the house because my skin was so bad...Now I'm eating even more hardcore than I started out and my skin has only been this good since I did my 28 day fast.

My main concern is how expensive it is to eat raw vegan, I'm not joking when I say that I just can't afford it unless I am very careful...How about cabbages? They are quite cheap...

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: November 12, 2008 07:36PM

Well taco bell sells 79cents tacos and BK 49 cent hamburgers, if that is the price of food yes, a 6 dollar mango is expensive.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: November 13, 2008 01:23AM

oh my, 3-4?? HOW DO YOU DO THAT! haha! I have like one small head a day.. then again i'm only like 5'5'' and a teen so. it's probably different for larger men. if you are a man who is tall.

anyway, i wouldn't ask me haha. I'm not the expert. I just found that link and hooked you up with some nutritional charts broo

anaken makes sense in saying it might f up your digestion. that is unless you got a vitamix and shred those leaves to hell in that wonderful machine smiling smiley

food is expensive dude, i know what you're saying...
I found out my harris teeter was selling strawberries - organic AND conventional for 5 dollars a pound. Whole foods it was that much for like half a pound (organic)- or some crazy price (wierd..sometimes whole foods has good prices and sometimes they are just out of whack). and at lowes the organic strawberries were 3.99 a lb and 2 for 7 if conventional. So you can also compare prices at different grocery stores and make sure you're not getting ripped off!! smiling smiley

there needs to be like a "how to be an effective cheap raw foodist" website, haha, who wants to invest?

i think cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable (contains oxalic acid - there for best to eat in smaller amounts), no?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 13, 2008 02:57AM

hmm well its dark .. green .. and leafy so yep i say its a dark leafy green veggie .. at least thats what ive always classed it as .. with my beet greens and spinach smiling smiley

Posted by: LeslieRaw ()
Date: November 17, 2008 04:59AM

yes, it is considered a dark leafy green. I recommend the book "Green for life" by Victoria Boutenko, and making green smoothies out of your greens.

It is important to rotate your greens (spinnach, kale, parsley, lettuces, etc) because your body will be over taxed by the alkaloids in each plant by eating the same greens day after day. you will feel sick and not desire greens at all.

Date: November 17, 2008 12:14PM

Thanks for your replys...

I was just wondering how much should I eat of leafy greens? KG or LBS acceptedsmiling smiley

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: November 18, 2008 01:29AM

One kg is not too much, IMO. Joel Fuhrman (Eat to Live) has a "one pound one pound" rule that calls for eating one lb. raw and one lb. cooked each day of "green vegetables". I could have sworn he used to advocate 4 lbs/day of greens but can't find the reference now. When I do a kg of greens (not often) I always juice them (all raw), which reduces the heck out of them, and follow it up with the "pulp salad", which with my juicer tastes like a nice juicy slaw.

I've tryed chewing huge plates of greens and veggies.. could not keep it up with my TMJ issue. loeve

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: November 18, 2008 07:10PM

The romaine I eat is as dark green as kale. Anything dark, leafy and green, is considered a dark, leafy green. If the romaine is light green, than no. So I'd say depending on how dark green the romaine is, sometimes it is and sometimes not.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 22, 2008 06:30AM

LeslieRaw Wrote:

> It is important to rotate your greens (spinnach,
> kale, parsley, lettuces, etc) because your body
> will be over taxed by the alkaloids in each plant
> by eating the same greens day after day. you will
> feel sick and not desire greens at all.

This is interesting. I haven't read anything about this anywhere. And idea where you learned this? I'd like to find out more.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables