Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

If all almonds from California are now pastheurized, then ...
Posted by: mira ()
Date: December 22, 2008 03:17AM

...how come online stores still sell what they call truly raw unpastheurized almonds from California? How could they possibly obtain them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: If all almonds from California are now pastheurized, then ...
Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: December 22, 2008 04:11AM

They're are private farms still able to sell and get around the laws. I just obtained a great source. There are a couple of others.

[dimondhealth.com]

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2008 04:12AM by GilmoreGirl.

Posted by: mira ()
Date: December 22, 2008 06:53PM

ok, so it's not a lie when they say their almonds are truly unpastheurized...I tought it was now illegal to sell them unpastheurized...

Date: December 22, 2008 10:43PM

Actually many are lying about pasteurization, just like many other products say they're raw when they're not. Only a select few are able to get around the almond laws. Most don't want to bother with it because it's a hassle or costly or they don't know how.

Posted by: Wies0087 ()
Date: December 22, 2008 11:35PM

Are Walnuts and Pecans, sold in any average grocery store, as likely to be irradiated as almonds are? I have heard so much controversy over almonds, but not over the other nuts. Thanks if anyone knows!
-Lisa

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: December 22, 2008 11:54PM

There is no legal definition of "raw" so anything can be called "raw" and frequently is. Buyer beware.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: December 23, 2008 12:11AM

Only almonds have been singled out for 'pasteurization.' I would trust the 'raw' label on pecans, walnuts, etc., if I'm seeing it in a natural food store or my local co-op, but not in a regular grocery store.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: December 23, 2008 02:56AM

I always ask detailed questions of the companies selling them-shelling process, temperatures used, etc. Not just almonds, but all raw products. Even the products in health stores are not truly raw most of the time. I'll find out the manufacturers/suppliers and email them. You can't blindly trust your health store/co-op as they're not any different than any other source. Unfortunately it's just easiest, safest and cheapest to buy everything on-line for the most part. Unless you're lucky enough to have trusted sources nearby.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: December 29, 2008 07:47PM

It's a black market. Supposedly all sources are out or truly raw almonds this season so we have to wait until next year.

What a scam huh?

You spelled Pasteurized wrong, btw

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: December 29, 2008 07:58PM

One can purchase truly raw almonds from growers at farmers markets (I just did).

I believe that only large-scale commercial almond growers pasteurize.

Also, does the pasteurization law apply only to shelled almonds? If so, one could always purchase in-shell almonds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2008 08:00PM by Omega.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 09, 2009 10:17PM

Hello Everyone, I am a newbie here and trying to transition to vegan. Recently I was tested for allergies because of a horrible facial breakout, It came back allergic to gluten, yeast, sugar, dairy, soy and eggs. So, I am going to just dive right in and convert. I have most of the kitchen wares for prep but am not sure how to best stock a kitchen for vegan.

Anyhow, almonds are a big thing that I will be using. I looked on ebay and saw several small farmers selling bulk raw almonds. I emailed one of them to see if it is unpasteurized and he replied yes. The almonds were only $4 a lb. Is there a way to verify that his almonds are unpasterurized. Has anyone run into this before?

Date: January 10, 2009 02:57AM

Yep, you can still find some small farmers that do have truly raw almonds but it is rare since they can't sell them commercially.

Also keep in mind that there is absolutely no regulation regarding the use of the word "Raw" in labeling or advertising, so just because a package or ad says 'raw' it doesn't mean much.

Posted by: Quest for Peace ()
Date: January 11, 2009 04:17AM

kwan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Only almonds have been singled out for
> 'pasteurization.' I would trust the 'raw' label on
> pecans, walnuts, etc., if I'm seeing it in a
> natural food store or my local co-op, but not in a
> regular grocery store.

Pecans and walnuts are often dried at high temperatures to get them down to a specific moisture level. You need to ask the supplier.

There are still US unpasteurized almonds available...there are a few very good raw on-line sites that sell them.

Posted by: fluteye ()
Date: January 12, 2009 07:06PM

Mira--I'm so glad I read your post today. I just called my local Whole Foods, and the manager there said that any nuts sold in the US are pasturized, and if I want truly raw nuts, I have to get them from a different country. That just shot down my idea of going raw. I can't afford to spend that kind of money on imported nuts. Or is this manager clueless? Help!

Thanks--Linda

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: January 12, 2009 07:30PM

If you buy nuts directly from small independent U.S. farms, they should be raw. Just ask them to make sure.

The manager at Whole Foods is not fully informed.

Also, aren't in-shell nuts always raw?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 12, 2009 10:37PM

I am surprised no one's posted this:

[www.livingnutz.com]

Posted by: fluteye ()
Date: January 14, 2009 12:23AM

I just E-Mailed the supplier who supplies raw nuts to Fruitful Yield. Here is what they said:

"Many nuts we and most nut sellers provide are generally pasteurized by the supplier and most commonly use Propylene Oxide, an approved gas similar to the Ethylene Oxide that is used on fruits.
Since this is not a heating they are still raw.
The Almonds we sell are pasteurized using a flash steam process. The regulations on this allow them to be legally called Raw (though we do not do so) since this process only subjects the outer skin to heat."

What does everyone think about this? I can't very well get my nuts from a local grower since I live in a cold climate and they aren't grown around here. What does everyone else do? It can't be this hard to be raw.

Thank You All---Linda

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 14, 2009 07:03AM

eat avocadoes
since uccan't quite trust that nuts are raw cuz they aren't
i mean if u are looking for a source o yummy fats

Date: February 06, 2009 08:47PM

If you buy Raw California Almonds at Farmer's Markets you can probably be pretty sure that they really are raw. The ruling is that small farms that sell under X many pounds a day dont have to pastuerize(spelling?) their almonds. Basically small farms and farmers slip under this ruling, it is still there but they dont have to follow it, YET. Hopefully we can continue to slip by. smiling smiley

Date: February 25, 2009 07:44AM

this is just plain funny

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: windy ()
Date: February 25, 2009 11:26AM

I didn't know that they pasturize almonds.. sad.

But I do know that cashew is almost always heated.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: February 25, 2009 02:24PM

Windy--
Almonds are flash-heated in a chemical that was originally intended to be race car fuel. Some of the residue is apparently left on the almonds, according to what I've read. The phrase 'What were they thinking of?' comes to mind, lol.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 25, 2009 02:30PM

illuminationhighrock,

VERY funny! Cinéma vérité at its raw foodiest!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables