Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is salt necessary for human life?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 31, 2008 10:40PM

Just was involved in a discussion on another forum (and with a friend of mine in RL) about whether or not salt is necessary for sustaining human life.

I'm pretty skeptical that is (though it does taste good at times) but I thought I'd ask here. Hoping to hear from arugula & others. Has there been much/any scientific study on salt-free diets & how people fare on them long-term?

Happy New Year! smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is salt necessary for human life?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 31, 2008 10:49PM

Hmmm...I don't think so. Did fine when not eating salt for over 10 years. I sweated less...but that was a good thing! smiling smiley

-David Z. mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: December 31, 2008 10:50PM

How were your sodium levels when you got your tests done?

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: December 31, 2008 11:09PM

Date: December 31, 2008 11:11PM

Thanks fresh.

Also wondering if there's any medicinal literature on the bioavailability of sodium via food vs. via table salt.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 01, 2009 01:04AM

Sodium levels fine.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 01, 2009 01:24AM

I believe God put trace amounts of natural salt in many foods because we need some. For example we need natural salt to move fluids in and out of our cells via the sodium/potassium pump.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 01, 2009 05:27AM

EZ rider is correct. We need sodium, and the sodium-potassium pump in an individual cell is the biggest user of energy in that cell. But we also need potassium, and modern diets tend to be too high in sodium and too low in potasium.

There is sodium in all whole plant foods.

But there is no need for *added* sodium in the diet.

The Na/K ratio is important and it's hard to screw it up with a whole foods diet high in f+v that does not make use of added NaCl.

But modern processed foods tend to be high in added NaCl and it's easy to screw up the balance. The most often cited problem that can ensue is high blood pressure.

Also, the RDAs are artificially inflated, taking into account that most people in the USA are going to be using foods that have a lot of added NaCl, they figure that lower is pretty much out of the question but the adjust to a level they think is "doable."

There is more detail in the paleo papers by the Eaton.

But, that Eaton paper isn't free. This is free, though:
[www.jacn.org]

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: January 01, 2009 07:32AM

I've read quite a bit on this and have concluded that yes, salt is necessary for human life. But it's not necessary to add any salt to our diets, ie over and above what is contained in our food. In fact, Natural Hygiene says that any added salt will have a negative impact on our health (see rawfoodexplained.com).

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: January 01, 2009 07:39AM

Communitybuilder,

I have been also saltfree for 10 or more years the only sodium I get is from the food I eat.
I live in warm climates most of the year after the first year without using soysouce or braggs I had no desire for salt.

Cherimoya,

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: January 01, 2009 04:58PM

The Water Cure

[curezone.com]

Date: January 01, 2009 05:35PM

Thanks arugula. I also was hit with the claim that ALL vegetarian mammals need salt licks to survive, this seems dubious but I don't know much about biology & animal ecosystems.

I'm skeptical that EVERY mammalian habitat contains salt licks. Forest, prairie, desert, public parks?

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 01, 2009 06:57PM

Funnily enough a friend told me about a wireless program that she had heard where a British consultant was most emphatically saying that we DO NOT need any salt in our diet.

There has been a spate of 'healthy' eating cookery shows recently where the breakdown of ready made meals has been shown. I was simply stunned to see how much salt and sugar are put into items such as a tomato sauce on a pizza. I always knew that they were loaded with the stuff but really wasn't prepared for quite how much went into a meal for one. If you put the same amount of salt in a glass of water you would never be able to drink it.

Sorry - just realised that I am preaching to the converted - ha ha.

Seriously though - what is the damage that this quantity of salt is doing, taken on a daily or regular basis?

Date: January 01, 2009 07:16PM

DavidZaneMason, are you saying that you didn't have salt for ten years but then you started having it again?

If so, why was that?

And did you notice any effect on your body when you resumed consumption?

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: January 01, 2009 07:36PM

I think they are rocks. If you like eating rocks go ahead. Salt your plants growing in pots or in your yard and then eat your plants.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2009 07:37PM by suvine.

Posted by: dinesh75 ()
Date: January 06, 2009 02:43PM

Suvine, how come your posts are so flashy? they just grab your attention!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 06, 2009 10:42PM

I am skeptical.

I can see the need for added salt in domesticated animals on processed diets.

Wild animals will go for either natural or contrived concentrated sources when given the chance. But I don't take this to mean that their natural diets are always deficient.

Posted by: Kombaiyashii ()
Date: January 06, 2009 10:54PM

I remember reading that if you have a diet with very little salt (I guess you can't get less than frutarian) then it will boost risk of heart attacks.

What do people think of this?

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: January 07, 2009 12:19AM

These articles are pretty informative, check them out:

Sodium
[www.healthy.net]

Chloride
[www.healthy.net]

dinesh75, I think that Suvine's pictures probably match her personality...Fun, sparkly, bubbly, flirty, cute, and girlie. I like the pizazz!

Date: January 07, 2009 12:40AM

What is a good raw snack to eat when I'm craving salt? I admit I sometimes put a little salt in my palm and lick it....but what I'm reading here is interesting. I always thought salt was necessary in an additive way.

Thanks,
CJ

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 07, 2009 06:44AM

Celery and tomatoes are healthy raw foods that have a salty taste. If you need more salt, try eating some sundried tomatoes.

Date: January 07, 2009 07:09AM

Only thing is - a lot of sun-dried tomatoes have salt added in the drying. In the UK, there's only one brand I know that doesn't.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 07, 2009 10:20AM

Debbie, which brand is that please? My daughter always finds sun dried tomatoes too salty.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 07, 2009 11:08AM

IMO there is only one healthy salt and that is plant salt (salt incorporated into a plants structure).
All other forms of salt including sea salt is just chemical salt.

Date: January 08, 2009 02:03AM

Thanks for the suggestion Bryan. I will get some celery!

CJ

Date: January 08, 2009 03:11AM

I think 99% of modern mankind have been conditioned to sea salt for too long. To turn away from the practice suddenly is as futile as putting manure on the fruits. Practicing moderation and gradual lessening may be helpful.
John

Date: January 08, 2009 05:49PM

Hi flipperjan

Sorry I missed the public post. Although I've replied to you via personal message, in case anyone else would like to know, it's Suma (sold by the Ethical Superstore, and other places I expect). ES tell me Suma are currently salt-free, but that this might not always be the case, as Suma's suppliers vary, and many do use salt in the drying.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: January 08, 2009 08:43PM

FlipperJan

Put some fresh tomatoes, split in half and put in excalibur. Dry until it's still a little moist inside and devour! Continue drying for more salty taste.

Date: January 09, 2009 04:43AM

Interesting - I've tried making my own sun-dried tomatoes in the dehydrator, but have not been successful.

A few months ago I experimented, using salt, not using salt, using oil, not using oil, etc etc.

I've found that they have not dried at 105 F, or at least, not without keeping the dehydrator on for such a long time (eg 2 days+!) that the energy cost would make it ridiculous.

What temperature do you dry at, healthybun, and for how long?

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: January 09, 2009 10:36AM

If I dry them totaly I must use smaller bits in the dehydrator, and very close the fans. Extra salt helps. 105F, but also tried the Gabriel Cousen method: 145F for 1-2 hours and then lover to 105F.

It's alot of hours.. 2 days at least that you noticed. And yeah, you must have like your own solarpanels to not be runied by the electrical companys bills... smiling smiley

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables