Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Oat Bran
Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: January 06, 2009 08:02AM

I know that oatmeal isn't considered raw because of how it's processed but what about oat bran? Is it raw?

Thanks!

~lanie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oat Bran
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 07, 2009 03:40AM

I have never seen raw oat bran. I have seen raw wheat germ, but avoid it because I imagine it would be difficult to digest. All conventional flour products have been dried in some unnatural way to retard mold growth, so packaged oat bran, even from the health food store, isn't "raw."

Date: January 08, 2009 07:53AM

Thanks for the response Tamukha. I wonder if that includes oat bran sold in the bulk foods section of Whole Foods, which doesn't seem to be in the same class as conventional flour products. Hard to know since the label is so rudimentary.

~lanie

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 08, 2009 11:02AM

If you are interested in oats, get whole oat groats and sprout them. I think they probably have a better nutrient profile than the bran anyway. Many health food stores sell them in the bulk bins, they have a bit of a greenish tinge sometimes and they are easy to sprout.

Date: January 09, 2009 08:54AM

Good point Arugula. I actually do sprout organic whole oat groats all the time, which I just love. The reason I'm interested in oat bran is it was recommended by my nutritionist (who's a 30-year vegan veteran, by the way, and recently joined "our" raw ranks) for digestive issues I've been having.

~lanie

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 09, 2009 11:11AM

Oh-- if he or she thinks it's a good idea, go ahead with it. I used to love it in the morning with apple or pear juice and soymilk--I mixed both in after it cooked. I always thought oat bran was much tastier than oatmeal. You could also stir in some ground raw flax seed.

You might also use lightly steamed sweet potatoes in your salads. They are pretty mild.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 10, 2009 12:41AM

My 89 year old mother 'swears' by Oat Bran. She buys 4 or 5 boxes
at a time. Plus, she tells me how good Olive Oil is for one (every time we
talk). I say "Mom, tell me once and let it go"....but she can't.......WY

Date: January 10, 2009 10:28AM

Thanks for the great advice Arugula. I actually don't even bother cooking oat bran as it seems to turn out just as good when mixed with boiled water.

Have stirred in ground flaxseed as well which adds a nice nutty flavor, not to mention nutrition.

~lanie

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: January 20, 2009 02:00PM

don't know if it's raw when you buy it, but you can soak it in oat milk or water rather than cook it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables