Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

poor grapefruit sad smiley
Posted by: shane ()
Date: January 06, 2009 12:04PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: poor grapefruit sad smiley
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 06, 2009 04:30PM

Oh C'mon.
I love grapefruit!

Brian

Posted by: cy ()
Date: January 06, 2009 06:10PM

I adore grapefruit!!!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 06, 2009 06:29PM

That chart sure is a matter of opinion. I like grapefruit smiling smiley

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: January 06, 2009 07:14PM

I love grapefruit too, but only when I juice it-- love the way it gets all foamy.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: January 06, 2009 08:36PM

I eat the grapefruit seeds that come inside the grapefruits that I juice for breakfast as a good natural alternative source of fresh raw GSE supplement. I use my molars to throughly chew them and then wash them down with the fresh made juice. Anyone else eat grapefruit seeds ?

Posted by: justin1 ()
Date: January 06, 2009 08:58PM

EZ rider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I eat the grapefruit seeds that come inside the grapefruits that I juice for breakfast as a good natural alternative source of fresh raw GSE supplement. I use my molars to throughly chew them and then wash them down with the fresh made juice. Anyone else eat grapefruit seeds ?

---i have been drinking both: a gently squeezed juice of organic sun-ripe lemon (firstly) and then followed by juice of organic sun-ripe grape-fruit (secondly), for the last 12 years of my life now, either as a starter to my day (before) or as a starter to my one meal only in the evening now... and i experience that the water from these both fruits is God given... - very biovailable and easy-quick to absorb (even more so than plain water...)

--and i have been too, snacking on grapefruit seeds during some short period until lately, when i gave up that completely, as i think these seeds are not meant to be eaten by us humans at all, as they contain digestion inhibitors and other known and unknown toxic substances, aimed to defend themselves against being consumed...i think...

Date: January 06, 2009 09:08PM

justin1

they contain digestion inhibitors

I think I will start soaking the seeds for a day. Thanks smiling smiley

Date: January 06, 2009 11:59PM

EZ rider Wrote:
> I think I will start soaking the seeds for a day.

---what is the seeming need you perceive to eat them in a first place...?

Date: January 07, 2009 02:08AM

justin1

---what is the seeming need you perceive to eat them in a first place...?

Grapefruit seeds are a natural alternative source to the GSE supplement.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: January 07, 2009 02:57AM

Sorry, guys; I'm with what's his face -- tongue sticking out smiley tongue sticking out smiley tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 07, 2009 03:33AM

I love grapefruit. And what kind of a booby thinks oranges are "difficult?" I have opposable thumbs and I take that personally. The seeds of grapefruit aren't bad for you. I throw the whole thing in the Vitamix, first removing some of the pith if it's too thick. Instant virus-killer cocktail!

Posted by: shane ()
Date: January 07, 2009 03:37AM

Yeah, I love grapefruit, too. I peel them and eat them like oranges. Especially in the summer, I eat them all day long. I posted this little cartoon because I think it's clever and funny.

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: January 07, 2009 07:17AM

Did you know that pink/red grapefruits are mutants that developed from radiation breeding?

"A similar story unfolded in Texas. In 1929, farmers stumbled on the Ruby Red grapefruit, a natural mutant. Its flesh eventually faded to pink, however, and scientists fired radiation to produce mutants of deeper color — Star Ruby, released in 1971, and Rio Red, released in 1985. The mutant offspring now account for about 75 percent of all grapefruit grown in Texas."

[www.nytimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2009 07:21AM by Omega.

Posted by: mira ()
Date: January 07, 2009 05:46PM

Grapefruit rocks.

I would squirt grapefruit juice in the eyes of the person who did that silly chart. hahaha

Date: January 08, 2009 12:05AM

EZ rider Wrote:
>Grapefruit seeds are a natural alternative source to the GSE supplement.

---can you elaborate, what is this "GSE supplement" good/needed for?

Date: January 08, 2009 12:28AM

Justin,

EZ rider may be able to answer this more fully, but Grapefruit Seed Extract is a broad spectrum anti-pathogen. One can take it internally to effectively kill virulent infections, as well as bacterial and fungal ones; and it can be applied as a topical antibacterial salve on wounds and animal bites. I use it on a cotton swab to destroy particularily invasive mold on my shower tile grout. It's great!

Date: January 08, 2009 01:24AM

I like to eat some Grapefruit Seeds during the winter to help ward off colds and flu. Here's some more info: [en.wikipedia.org]

Date: January 08, 2009 01:52AM

EZ rider Wrote:
> I like to eat some Grapefruit Seeds during the winter to help ward off colds and flu. Here's some more info: [en.wikipedia.org]

---OK, i see, "G"rapefruit "S"eed "E"xtract..., - yes, i know what that is, i have tried it earlier in my life..., i understand it is "controversial", and is not allowed being advertised in "health-shops" in sweden at least...?

EZ-rider, why would you use a supplement, if you eat healthy raw foods which makes you glad and vibrant...?

to not catch a cold or flu, a more certain way to go is to maintain the balance, by not overeating or enervating your body-mind too much, as well fasting occasionally with a purpose of keeping body-mind clean, and natural body defenses high, will keep off the uninvited "invaders"...winking smiley

Date: January 08, 2009 04:05PM

Justin,

You are fun! Perhaps you are vigilant enough at all times that your immune system is a good enough barrier against all disease--you are very lucky! But, for example, there is some horrible "mystery" virus cutting a swath through the northern United States now. Well people I've talked to all over and who seem immune to the flu are having a hard time with it, and I bet even committed raw foodists shall fall prey to it before it's done! The pathogens are getting more resilient. There is no way to predict maximum resiliency for a new mutation of a virus. But a human immune systme can get only so fit, in our polluted world, before it may be out-matched by a wee little germ! I don't see a problem with helping oneself along with the natural concentrated form of the nutrient you get in modest amounts from food otherwise. Maybe Sweden is a "cleaner" country in general.

And I'm curious: why is GSE controversial in Sweden? Why? I have this fantasy that in Northern Europe, medicine is still more based in botany than it is here . . . is this a misconception? Oh dear.

Date: January 08, 2009 04:24PM

justin1

EZ-rider, why would you use a supplement

I don't use the GSE supplement . I eat the fresh, raw, and natural seeds.

Date: January 08, 2009 11:34PM

EZ rider Wrote:
I don't use the GSE supplement . I eat the fresh, raw, and natural seeds.

---what i mean with "supplement" is..., if you would not know that "GSE" is seemingly "good" for you, would you still eat this seed?

---it is similar to if mixing different foods to get a taste sensations using for example: garlic, onion, pepper, etc... - one should always ask and test himself, would i mono eat any of those foods (food ingredients) separately stand alone...? would these still taste good to me...?

---i think if a food do not taste too good or appealing on its own it should not be eaten...

---i think that grapefruit seeds on its own are not so tasty or appealing, and therefore they are not meant to be eaten...

---when i ate these seeds before, it was not because they tasted appealing to me, it was because i followed some other "smart-guy" concept of "How good it is to eat grapefruit seeds because all the good properties of GSE", - not eating these because of my own body instinct and guidance...

Date: January 08, 2009 11:53PM

Tamukha Wrote:
> Justin, You are fun! Perhaps you are vigilant enough aall times that your immune system is a good enough barrier against all disease--you are very lucky! But, for example, there is some horrible "mystery" virus cutting a swath through the northern United States now. Well people I've talked to all over and who seem immune to the flu are having a hard time with it, and I bet even committed raw foodists shall fall prey to it before it's done! The pathogens are getting more resilient. There is no way to predict maximum resiliency for a new mutation of a virus. But a human immune systme can get only so fit, in our polluted world, before it may be out-matched by a wee little germ! I don't see a problem with helping oneself along with the natural concentrated form of the nutrient you get in modest amounts from food otherwise. Maybe Sweden is a "cleaner" country in general. And I'm curious: why is GSE controversial in Sweden? Why? I have this fantasy that in Northern Europe, medicine is still more based in botany than it is here . . . is this a misconception? Oh dear.

---i do not believe that GSE will protect one from viruses...

---flu viruses travel with clouds and winds..., so it does not matter if Sweden is clean or not...smiling smiley

---eating moderately and not overeating, and not enervating your body-mind, and resting-sleeping out properly, is the only way to go to maintain your body-mind balance and organism defenses at high...

---GSE was heavily advertised in the commercial "health-shops" as a super-duper miracle thing against... you name it... then, it was discovered it has some bi- and adverse effects..., but please do not ask me what these are, i do not remember anymore, as i gave it up at that time, and have not eaten these since.

---much of plant based "natural remedies" are very toxic upon your body, similarly to as "commercial medicine drugs", no difference there... much of curative properties of toxic plants and substances are based on misconceptions and myths... i think...

---just eating proper raw unprocessed foods in a proper manner and amount in not overeating, should be enough..., and no other natural or unnatural remedies-supplements need or should be included..., that is my understanding in how i see it...smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 09, 2009 12:40AM

" eat the grapefruit seeds that come inside the grapefruits that I juice for breakfast as a good natural alternative source of fresh raw GSE supplement. I use my molars to throughly chew them and then wash them down with the fresh made juice. Anyone else eat grapefruit seeds ?"

Interesting...I've never heard of anyone eating the seeds!

Grapefruit has always been one of my favorite fruits...I'll have to try eating the seeds sometime.

Date: January 09, 2009 12:51AM

justin1

if you would not know that "GSE" is seemingly "good" for you, would you still eat this seed?
My research has found benefits to eating the seeds and no detriments. If you know of any detriments please post them.

it is similar to if mixing different foods to get a taste sensations using for example: garlic, onion, pepper, etc... - one should always ask and test himself, would i mono eat any of those foods (food ingredients) separately stand alone...?
I eat the seeds fresh out of the grapefruit (see my second post in this thread) along with the fresh squeezed grapefruit juice and because it is a part of the grapefruit I consider the grapefruit and its seeds to be a mono meal if eaten fresh and as is without any other foods eaten at the same meal. Sometimes I VitaMix the Grapefruit and its seeds and I also consider that to be a mono meal if their are no other foods in the smoothie except for the whole grapefruit.

This has been an interesting thread and since it started it has caused me to go back and do some more reading and I found that the seeds of the other members of the citrus family share the "GSE" properties as a "family" trait so I am now eating orange seeds and other citrus family seeds as well as grapefruit seeds.
Citrus family seeds have more nutrients to offer then just the "GSE" benefits. Seeds in general are a storehouse of nutrients.
Why throw a good thing away ?

Date: January 09, 2009 04:06AM

EZ rider Wrote:
> My research has found benefits to eating the seeds
> and no detriments. If you know of any detriments
> please post them.
> I eat the seeds fresh out of the grapefruit (see
> my second post in this thread) along with the
> fresh squeezed grapefruit juice and because it is
> a part of the grapefruit I consider the grapefruit
> and its seeds to be a mono meal if eaten fresh and
> as is without any other foods eaten at the same
> meal. Sometimes I VitaMix the Grapefruit and its
> seeds and I also consider that to be a mono meal
> if their are no other foods in the smoothie except
> for the whole grapefruit.
> This has been an interesting thread and since it
> started it has caused me to go back and do some
> more reading and I found that the seeds of the
> other members of the citrus family share the "GSE"
> properties as a "family" trait so I am now eating
> orange seeds and other citrus family seeds as well
> as grapefruit seeds.
> Citrus family seeds have more nutrients to offer
> then just the "GSE" benefits. Seeds in general are
> a storehouse of nutrients.
> Why throw a good thing away ?

---i remember reading here in this "rawfoodsupport" forum some time ago about eating the fruit seeds pros-cons, specifically apple seeds, as someone was very eager in wanting to eat them, i think that conclusion was made that seeds in general (at least apple seeds) were not so beneficial to eat after all...

--is it cyanide, and/or some other toxic stuff there in the seeds, no matter how small dosage, should be enough to keep off them..., i do not remember exactly the details...

---would be great when you find that info and pass it over to us once again to learn...

Date: January 09, 2009 04:29AM

justin1

apple seeds, as someone was very eager in wanting to eat them

I participated in a discussion on this forum about eating apple seeds and I may be the eager person you are referring to except that I am not "wanting" to eat apple seeds. I do eat fresh raw apple seeds along with the apple they come in. I eat them for their natural vitamin B17 as well as being a store house of nutrition as most seeds in general are.

Date: January 09, 2009 03:42PM

I remember the post about raw apple seeds; I think I contributed to it. The cyanide[Amygdalin or B17] is INERT--it doesn't activate except in the presence of aberrant cells, which it then detroys. Overall, I'd say that's beneficial.

Every juicing book I've read, commercial or raw, has specified that seeded fruits, including citrus, not be de-seeded prior to juicing. It is advised that all the matter just be chucked into the juicer and whizzed up. I'm sure the FDA would've already dismantled the careers of all those juice-guide people if they were recommending we "poison" ourselves! Presumably, eating the seeds of citrus fruits is the same as juicing them, so it can't be bad. The seed's job, biologically, is to survive digestion to form a new plant. It may resist this physically or chemically, but that doesn't mean it is deadly. If it kills its consumer, it doesn't get @#$%& out and back into the soil! Well, not until total decay and that could make the seed unviable. My point is that scientists have discovered that grapefruit seed extract is a broad anti-pathogen. It's not a matter of debate. What is, is the inclination to eat seeds from grapefruit. I have found it's OK.

Date: January 09, 2009 05:40PM

New American Standard Bible
Genesis 1:29

Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth,
and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you;

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: January 09, 2009 06:28PM

.. the apostles ate clusters of wheat seeds from plants growing along the road when they were journeying and hungry..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables