Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is frutarian more healthy than simply raw?
Posted by: Kombaiyashii ()
Date: January 06, 2009 05:04PM

Is frutarian better than basic raw with oils? (no nuts)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is frutarian more healthy than simply raw?
Posted by: suvine ()
Date: January 06, 2009 08:12PM

How would anyone know this ?

In my experience, I think so , yes, I have just started a banana and celery smoothie fast and right away I feel a cloud lifted from me and my life. I feel like I want to go out and get some sun and do things.

On high greens I just want to stay in bed alot.

Posted by: justin1 ()
Date: January 06, 2009 09:05PM

fresh raw organic sun-ripe fruits, combined with healthy fats from: organic ripe avocado and some raw unprocessed inshell nuts, and NO plants (veggies) is the best way to go... i think...smiling smiley

Date: January 06, 2009 10:16PM

When I went fruitarian I overdid the avocados I sure did , I had so many a day. Maybe that was why I could not continue, I do not know, but Doug Graham says that.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 06, 2009 10:40PM

Restrictive raw food diets can be very helpful in getting rid of toxic buildup. I suggest you just go ahead and experiment. Try a fruit and nut/seed diet like Justin's, a smoothie fast like Suvine's, 80/10/10 like Bryan, an all juice fast, an all-fruit diet, a mono fruit diet, a water fast, a dry fast; and see what they all feel like. See how you do on them in the SHORT term, AND in the LONG term.

You will have disappointments along the way. Don't blame yourself for perceived failure. Try something new. The possibilities are endless. You'll be learning all the time, if you choose to.

Whatever you're able to do CONSISTENTLY, and feel good, is probably your best choice. "Consistent" may mean a combination of the above. For example: so many days per week/month of Justin's diet and so many days per week/month of Suvine's smoothie fast. Or, so many days eating the complete array of raw vegan possiblilites, and so many days of some kind of restriction. Whatever, try to find the diet where YOU (rather than your appetite) are COMFORTABLY in control, satisfied, and happy.

And then still be prepared to try something new if what works for you now, doesn't work so well for you 20 years from now.

The important thing is to find what is appropriate for YOU.

It will take a lot of experimentation, nutritional knowledge, self exploration, and TIME.

For many, the journey is not easy. But it's definitely worthwhile!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2009 10:50PM by suncloud.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 06, 2009 11:01PM

suncloud

The important thing is to find what is appropriate for YOU.
It will take a lot of experimentation, nutritional knowledge, self exploration, and TIME.

Focusing on reading your inner coach can be a short cut to finding what works best for you in the now.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 06, 2009 11:31PM

EZ rider, I agree.

Now is the essence if is.

It's important to keep in mind that whatever we read from our inner coach today, may not work well for us again tomorrow, or for every single day for a year, or for every single day for 30 years.

Most people's inner coach won't tell them to do the same thing everyday. But if we listen carefully everyday, if we don't shut off communication with our inner coach today, just because we may have ideally preferred what our coach told us yesterday, then over time, we'll familiarize ourselves with a pattern that we can consciously work with that will allow our inner coach to comfortably and appropriately merge with - and become - our reality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2009 11:35PM by suncloud.

Date: January 06, 2009 11:43PM

...i forgot to mention one important thing...smiling smiley...

...it has as well to do with how you form and fill the purpose of your life and being... - for example, i choose to eat only one meal per day within 24-hrs, and i eat in the evening..., because i want to use high day time for other things than eating and digesting foods... and i don not feel any hunger for eating at that time either...

...as i understand, if you choose 8-1-1 diet according to Graham, you suppose to eat quite a large amounts of foods, to get your calories, ..i think that is what Graham suggests... so, it can only be done by having several meals during a day...etc etc,

i agree with the thoughts, that you should "listen" and be guided by the inner intelligence and ability of your body to choose and navigate right...

there are lots of confusion and contradicting views "out there in the world", so instead of blindly copying concepts and force them upon your body, listen to your body's own will... and act accordingly...

...and as some has mentioned here, a few fastings will really make you more sensitive,- to both in interpreting of your body's language as well as choosing of "right" foods, foods combination and quantity of foods, in harmony with your body...

Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: January 07, 2009 01:26AM

So Justin,
Funny you mention eating only once a day and in the evening within 24 hours.
This is what Im starting to do.
What do you eat in the evening and how much?
IM fruitarian and have been for almost a year.
Right now im on apples and orange juice meaning Im EATING apples and drinking freshly juiced orange juice.
But Im eating nothing during the day and when I get home from work is when im eating the apples, like 6 in a row. With an avocado.I drink a big glass(20 oz) of Orange juice with the apples and avocado.
So basically Im fasting daily other than this evening meal.
I dont really get hungry during the day either, a little sometimes but not really.
Personally I feel the less we eat the better our health.
We dont need high calories, for me 500 or less a day is sufficient.
This is just my opinion.
I love fruitarianism. 100%
www.fruitarian.com
www.fruitpages.com
Both great sites on the fruit life!
In the winter and if its cold where one lives like it is here citrus and light juicy fruits are best. if I eat banannas I get cold and banannas dont appeal to me right now. I eat what Im drawn to and apples and orange juice I cant get enough of right now.All organic. I have a case of oranges(40 lbs) and 2 cases of apples coming to me saturday 40 lbs, 20 lbs of Pink Lady apples and 20 lbs of Fuji apples. 80 lbs of fruit for 80 bucks, all organic, thats sweet!
I just finished a 5 day water fast, and Im wanting to try intermittent fasting.
Eating every other day but recently I have tried eating only in the evening and it sems to work but Im ALWAYS experimenting.
This is what raw is all about, experimenting to find what works for us.
Rob

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2009 01:37AM by roadrunner.

Date: January 07, 2009 01:44AM

OMG Suvine, lol I thought that was a TELLYTUBBY in your picture!, LMAO!!
Youre a very beautiful girl but apparently thats quite obvious!
Rob

Date: January 07, 2009 03:36AM

Thank You Rob That is nice.

Date: January 07, 2009 09:56AM

Hey Roadrunner, that was a very interesting post. What you are doing is EXACTLY what I am planning on doing (except I'm planning on eating more bananas than apples).

If you don't mind me asking. How long have you been eating less than 1,000 calories for? Also what is your height/weight?

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 07, 2009 11:13AM

please, anyone that can thrive on 500 calories a day for more than 2 months while active, document it so we can find out what is possible.

we often eat more than we think

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 07, 2009 12:41PM

Roadrunner, do you weigh 35 lbs? The calorie number you mention will not support life indefinitely in a person who weighs significantly more than that.

I think it's more likely that you might have one 500 calorie day and the next 3500 so that you average out to a level that is more appropriate for an adult male.

Either that or your estimates are far less than what you are actually consuming.

Date: January 07, 2009 01:02PM

IM 5-11 and weigh 175
Apples are only about 45 calories each last I checked.
On days I eat banannas Im sure I reach 1000 calories
because Ill eat 10 in a day but I dont feel as good as
the days I eat apples.And I get cold when I eat banannas.
As I mentioned Im experimenting just like most everyone
to find what works for me and so far ive found the LESS I eat
the better I feel.
Oh, Back when I ate the SAD diet more than a year ago now
I weighed 250.

Date: January 07, 2009 02:14PM

What is the lowest amount of calories before you start to look unhealthily thin?

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 07, 2009 02:21PM

Kombaiyashii

What is the lowest amount of calories before you start to look unhealthily thin?

I think if a person just listens to their body signals then they will know when to eat and how much to eat so they won't be skinny or fat but just right.

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: January 07, 2009 02:53PM

roadrunner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And I get cold when I eat banannas.

I get cold when I eat bananas too (in cold weather) -- it's because bananas contain hormones to keep the body cool in the hot tropics where they grow.

I usually avoid all imported tropical fruit in cold weather to prevent that cooling effect.

Posted by: ruby ()
Date: January 07, 2009 05:55PM

Frutarian does not work for me, as my body cannot process sugar properly (if ingested in excess). Also, I feel more energetic on some fruits, and high greens. Do not ignore what your body is trying to tell you.

Daily calorie amount definitely depends on many factors (gender, age, daily activity,..) I never count calories. Some days I feel like eating more than other days, so I follow that inner guide, and it works for me.

Cheers.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 07, 2009 06:08PM

roadrunner Wrote:
> IM 5-11 and weigh 175
> Apples are only about 45 calories each last I
> checked.
> On days I eat banannas Im sure I reach 1000
> calories
> because Ill eat 10 in a day but I dont feel as
> good as
> the days I eat apples.And I get cold when I eat
> banannas.
> As I mentioned Im experimenting just like most
> everyone
> to find what works for me and so far ive found the
> LESS I eat
> the better I feel.
> Oh, Back when I ate the SAD diet more than a year
> ago now
> I weighed 250.

congrats on your progress, coyote nemesis...

so many people say they eat less than X calories.

i tried it and felt fine at a low caloric level, but near my BMR, not 500, or 750.

again, i would like to see anyone that will document accurately a low caloric intake without losing weight. certainly one can eat a small amount of food during transition or weight loss period.

Date: January 07, 2009 08:51PM

ruby Wrote:
> Frutarian does not work for me, as my body cannot process sugar properly (if ingested in excess). Also, I feel more energetic on some fruits, and high greens. Do not ignore what your body is trying to tell you.

---have you tried to combine fruits and fats...?...like organic avocado and unprocessed inshell nuts, or olive oil/flax seed oil...? that would eliminate your sugar problem. Sugars from fruits are healthy and needed by your body (and brain), as well as your body (and brain) needs healthy fats.

---if you eat of boredom or for entertainment purpose, you will ingest too much of foods and calories, and get into different problems.....including with the excess of sugars, IF you overeat on them or not balance them well out with fats...

---you can not really overeat on fruits, as fruits do not contain any addictive substances, which exist in milk and dairy products,or which develop during the heating preparation of foods...

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 07, 2009 11:01PM

I think including greens, dark leafy ones and seaweeds, is healthiest.

Just like a raw foodist, by definition, would eat 80% or more raw, a fruitarian eats 80% or more fruit, so some fruitarians will eat more than fruit if they go by the definition.

Posted by: sunshazza ()
Date: January 20, 2009 04:53PM

I think you're right, eating pure fruits isn't right for everyone and can be quite unbalancing. Most people need a large amount of the dark leafy greens to keep them healthy.

It's best to experiement and see how your body reacts to it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 21, 2009 02:33AM

Is frutarian more healthy than simply raw?
No. Raw veganism is a pretty restricted diet as is.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 21, 2009 03:33AM

I agree with CB, I think raw is so restrictive in itself that the possibilities of problems arise with even more restrictions. If you want to be "fruitarian" you can still eat mainly fruit but throw in a handful of nuts/seeds and a big salad every day and you are going to be assured of covering more of the nutritional bases, especially the more difficult ones.

Veganism in itself is restrictive enough, and many people can't even get that part right. Or maybe they are not really convicted enough to try to get it right.

That's not the same as saying pure fruitarianism is impossible. I think some people do it well, at least for the five years or so they have been doing it, but there are so few of them. They are pioneers, guinea pigs, going on faith that I myself lack. I wish them well and I hope for sure that they take their B12 or whatever if they start to have problems.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: January 21, 2009 04:21AM

People can be fruitarians even if their diet is not 100% fruit, just like other diet classes are defined by the major food consumed even if it is not the only food consumed.

Posted by: AVOJAMACADA ()
Date: January 21, 2009 03:03PM

Worst thing I ever did was go RAW Fruitarian when I was 16(body still growing,etc).My teeth are F*cked still from then.It's not a bad thing but just be carefull....food these days are NOT like they used to be...they nutritionally dead in comparison andf that we need to keep in mind.EAT UP!!ALOT..Overeating is a bAD habit but if your eating the cleanist foods on the earth then eat ALOT of them!!mass amounts!!Think big...eat big...get big!!Gorillas aren't eating 500 calories of fruit a day mto maintiaN there size and strenth.Eat up!
I'm sorry but 500-100 calories is simply NOT enough IMO.I mean if your active your in trouble IMO.I was a toothpick while fruitarian and did alot of things wrong.Wish I could pin point AND CLARIFY my advice ot whatever but you jus do what feels good for ya!!

all THE BESTA!!

Smiles...

See you at the top!!

Date: January 22, 2009 06:56PM

That makes so much sense. I never really thought about it because I am a naturally cold person in Minnesota, but I do get colder when I eat bananas. I guess I should stop.

thanks.

Date: January 23, 2009 10:36PM

A medium apple is between 85 and 105 calories depending on what kind, and one medium avocado is 306 calories. Just looked that stuff up for a log, thought I would share...........a medium banana is 105 calories.

Date: February 11, 2009 08:33PM

I have eaten one evening meal a day over the last four months and have spent the last 12 months moving towards this. I wanted to add my experiences to this thread. During the day, I only have an orange if I feel cloudy or a juice if I was ambitious to make one in the morning. I at least try to get a green juice in 2-3 times a week solely for nutrition. I have not lost any weight doing this and my weight has stayed at 160 which is good. Usually the evening meal is large and spread out over a few hours. I would estimate the average meal has 1200 - 1800 calories and this varies. Lately though, there are evenings that I am not that hungry and just have a soup and small salad or sometimes nothing at all. These meals may only be 500 calories. These lighter meals happen once or twice a week and I am just honoring how I feel. I was eating every night even if I wasn’t hungry simply out of fear. I now simply honor the body and trust in its own wisdom. Even with the reduction of calories, I am maintaining my weight and notice that I feel lighter in spirit. The effects of this type of eating are more spiritual than anything else. I was eating approximately 3500 calories a day and I just felt overwhelmed with the amount of food I was eating everyday and my life felt like it was ruled by food. I started moving towards this way of eating for simplicity and my body has really embraced it. Originally, I never wanted to go to one meal a day as I was just striving for the standard two meals a day raw way of eating but I realized I was skipping lunch as I wasn’t hungry and just went with it. The one thing I did notice is that the earlier one eats the large meal the better. Therefore, the way I am doing it is not optimal. I eat at nite as I could eat as little or much of whatever I want and am not limited by what’s in my lunch bag. I have actually over the last month started to have a light Friday nite meal and eat my large meals at lunchtime on saturday and sunday and feel even better on those days as the quality of sleep is much better. To put this in context, I also wanted to add that I work out 3-4 days a week doing strength training and work in an office environment and do not want to lose any weight but simply maintain what I have. My workouts have not suffered from this and i eat my large meal after my workouts in the evening. I almost seem to have more reserve to pull from when needed for the workouts even though I haven’t eaten all day. Not much info out there on this so it's great to see a discussion with this.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables