Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Alcohol - yes or no?
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 08, 2009 07:18PM

How do people feel about alcohol? Are there any raw alcoholic drinks? Is that one glass of red wine good for you as so many people claim?

I'm interested to know people's attitude on this if you feel like sharing.

Philippa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alcohol - yes or no?
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 08, 2009 07:30PM

I think a daily glass of red wine might help clear the otherwise seriously clogged arteries of heavy meateaters.

For raw vegans though, any kind of alcohol is only detrimental. Whether a person eats meat or not, alcohol kills brain cells.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2009 07:35PM by suncloud.

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: January 08, 2009 07:46PM

According to David Wolf Wine is raw... and in moderation is not so bad... i don't know about the meat eating and arteries and such...but for me it's more of an emotional thing... i have maybe one or two glasses a month... and it just seems to jostle some of my stuck emotions around... and sure maybe i could find something better to do this... but it's what works for me now...

love laugh and dream

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 08, 2009 07:50PM

alcohol will ruin your life to the point that ANY GOD you believe in will be destroyed forever and ever.
DO NOT even think of touching a drop of the stuff.
Its the drink of hell.
Brian

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: January 08, 2009 07:54PM

i never thought of anyone or anything capable of destroying God!!!

Posted by: fluteye ()
Date: January 08, 2009 08:20PM

Brian--I can relate to your post. For some of us it is death. But for others I think in moderation it probably isn't too bad. Although I wouldn't think wine or any alcohol would be considered raw. Doesn't the fermentation process include heat? Maybe not, I'm not sure.

Linda

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: January 08, 2009 08:32PM

Put some grapes in the juicer and your desire for wine will go away. Its all about addiction and social addiction.

Right?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 08, 2009 09:28PM

fluteye,

As I recall from my grandfather's winemaking, the fermentation process produces its own heat, but I cannot remember how high. I remember the wine casks being slightly warm to the touch; they were glass, so they couldn't have been that warm. I think real, slow food, small volume-produced wine SHOULD be raw. I am going to investigate, as I am fond of a glass now and then for the flavor--I don't respond addictively to it, luckily.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2009 09:29PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 08, 2009 09:32PM

Raw1228 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> alcohol will ruin your life to the point that ANY
> GOD you believe in will be destroyed forever and
> ever.
> DO NOT even think of touching a drop of the
> stuff.
> Its the drink of hell.
> Brian

For you....

Date: January 08, 2009 09:55PM

I don't want to create an uncomfortable feeling here for anyone and I apologise if I have struck a nerve.

I genuinly just want to know about people's feeling towards a drink with their food or whatever.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: January 08, 2009 10:54PM

Nope. Just get high from raw instead. smiling smiley

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 09, 2009 01:21AM

In my opinion, grape juice tastes better....and my nervous system doesn't need any depressing! Ha! ha! But if YOU feel you want it....go for it! smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 09, 2009 01:27AM

I'll pass on the alcohol thanks. (just say NO)

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 09, 2009 03:48AM

I still do alcohol. I wouldn't recommend anything more than a glass or red wine per day, though and I'm pretty sure that zero is better.

Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: January 09, 2009 09:19AM

Anything that artificially alters my mind and feelings just isn't good for me. Even the small amount of alcohol in Kombucha has that effect, which is why I try to stay away from it.

I get a much better high from after-exercise endorphins and raw clean food. Also no side effects...just more mental clarity and peace.

~lanie

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 09, 2009 09:33AM

i think the detriments far outweight the benefits of any alchohol

that said if you want to partake occaisionally it probably doesnt hurt much .. nor do you much good smiling smiley

to each their own smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: January 09, 2009 02:10PM

Thanks for asking this question, because I've been wondering myself how others view alcohol. I've been eating raw for two weeks now and the only time I've had beer or wine was when we had friends over and had a cooked meal. When we ate cooked food, it was very enjoyable to have a glass or two of red wine and made the food sort of "come alive" (flavor-wise).
Since then, it has been very interesting to me that our raw meals don't lend themselves to this. I haven't even thought of having wine with dinner, although I wouldn't be opposed to it; I just don't. Makes me think that our meals now are alive and complete within themselves and alcohol would lessen that somehow.

Posted by: ruby ()
Date: January 09, 2009 03:22PM

GREAT TOPIC!

Well, alcohol was my struggle for a long time. I was not a "drunk", or had an uncontrollable urge for alcohol, but it was a daily glass or two of wine, or a martini. The first few sips would feel really good, but most of the time I would end up with a headache (even that HEALTHY, one glass of wine would cause it!). When my emotional attachment to alcohol stopped (thanks to balanced diet and Yoga), I did not need it any more. It was effortless. People drink around me all the time, and I am not tempted at all. I had a sip of wine the other day (just not to be disrespectful to people that made a toast to someone), and it was nasty. Now, I know for sure, it's not for me...

To answer the question: I do not think there is anything wrong with an occasional drink of your choice, if it's not causing you any physical and emotional harm.

Cheers (this time with a nice shot of WGJsmiling smiley

Posted by: globalresult ()
Date: January 12, 2009 02:52AM

Justifications.

Find out why you need that drink becasue this will reveal something to you?

You don't need it but your fullfilling something by doing it.

It has no benefits other then those that want to sell it to you tell you.

You can get the same high you would get from alcahol by simply being yourself, loving yourself and being thankful for what you have.

The smell of that stuff is enough for me to get away.

Date: January 13, 2009 06:04PM

Tumukha

Most home made wine will not be raw as there is sugar added. Commercial grape wine does not have sugar added to it but they all have sulphites in. Organic wine may be ok. One also has to discover what has been used to 'clear' the wine. There are vegan wines available.

Date: January 13, 2009 11:17PM

I rarely drink but do so on special occasions. smiling smiley

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: January 13, 2009 11:28PM

I like a good cup of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol mixed with water, when I think I need it. It's great stuff...

for cleaning my lenses, that is! :~)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 11:29PM by swimmer.

Posted by: globalresult ()
Date: January 14, 2009 12:21AM

swimmer

lol

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: January 14, 2009 05:55AM

I used to have a drink every now and then, but I noticed I'd feel a little different the next day (not quite so vibrant). I think it makes me a little bloated too, even if I only have one or two drinks. My body seems to consider it mildly toxic, so I've recently stopped doing it. Maybe if I want to get a little high once in awhile I'll have one of those kombucha drinks instead. ;-p

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables