Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bodybuilder transitioning to RAW LIFE style
Posted by: herbalgerbals ()
Date: January 15, 2009 04:08AM

So I have ulcerative colitis wich is why I am ready to make the transition.

Ive been vegan for 2 years,
then had a flare up of my smaller intestine and large colon.

Ive been put on different medications that havent worked, I want to fix the CAUSE, not the Symtpoms.

Unfortunatly I started eating Fish, however the rest of my diet is still the same..I love to excersize. I love to build muscle mass wich is why I turned back to fish..
I Really am concerned that once I make my transition Im gong to wash up.
I am scared just becuase I want to be muscular,

Anyone have any words of encourements? maybe some Raw vegan pictures of proof of muscle mass with a raw diet?

Any ideas or anything would really help..
Thank you guys hope to speak soon.

-syd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bodybuilder transitioning to RAW LIFE style
Date: January 15, 2009 04:10AM

Also, I would like to add that my idea so far of starting this transition is to switch to a week or two of straight juicing and water... or maybe some bananas and fresh fruit?

anyone have any advice on how to first transtition to a whole raw food diet?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 15, 2009 03:12PM

herbalgerbals,

Search this forum for Richard Blackman's posts--his pics are inspiring and so are his words.

As for transitioning: I have tried many ways in fits and starts, and what I'd advise is to follow your body's signals. The easiest way seems to be to go lots of watery juices and juicy fruit, without high fat foods like nuts and seeds. However, YOU may need these. The fastest way is to do just a water fast, which requires a lot of rest. However, YOU may not be able to do this. Try the regimen you have planned and see how it feels. If you have been vegan, it may be easier for you than for a SAD individual. If you've been eating a lot of organic vegan foods, much easier. If you've been eating a low grains, high produce vegan diet, much, much easier. But everyone responds differently to the shift and any way you've been living, you CAN do this, at your own pace. Just be sure to hydrate and rest. Fatigue is a normal transition symptom for most people. And remember to come here and ask for advice as you need it--people here are so helpful and full of wisdom! Good luck smiling smiley

Date: January 15, 2009 06:24PM

Thank you for that post, the time to write it as well.

Ive atually heard of Rchard a while ago, maybe a year. Ive seen pictures, videos, even admire him without really getting to know him aha.

Im a smaller guy aswell, 5'7 and Ive never gotten bigger then 150lbs.
Thats why when I transition Im worried ill be around 130lbs basically small as hell. ahah whatever.. he says learn to love the skin your in. Thats my problem, Im to insecure and uncomfortable ith my appearence that I spend more time worrying about my size. Its insecurity, I thnk the transition would definitely help me stabalize my mentality towards myself and the person I am.

Well as far as the SAD diet goes, when I became vegan, I thought automatically Oh Im healthy. ahah, no thats wrong.. most vegans I meet are replacing the bullshit with more bullshit, just leaving out the dairy and replacing it with lots of sugar and oils..

Bascially for the last half a year my diet has consisted of,

brown rice, tempeh, sweet potatoe, garlic, avocados, all whole foods ofcourse, I try my hardest to avoid processed foods. Lots of bananas, protein shakes from whole food brand companies, hemp protein, and as I mentioned I started eating Fish. Fruits and veggies, but not NEARLY as much as I have..

See I have Ulcerative colitis, an inflammatory bowel disease, if your heard of Paul nison basically Imw orking with the condition he has. Lots of pain, diarea, bleeding. So I dont eat as much raw veggies aor fruis as I should.
Definitly lots of banananas, the blood loss caused me anemia. So now Im taking iron supplements.

Question, on the raw diet can I still take L-glutamine, hemp, lysine, amino acid supplements? and how does that work into a 100% raw diet?

Basically Ive tried the entire system shown to me.
Ive tried all there medications for my conditon, Ive tried even eating Meat again like Ive always been told. OBVIOUSLY somthing is wrong, I mean obviously there system isnt working, and its creating a Lot of pain and discomfort DAILY.

I cant even work because of the condition, my bowel movemts are of the hook and quite painful.

So why not try raw. What do I got to loose. Im 20 years old. Im to young to be dealing wth colon and intestinal problems. I got nothing to loose anything, except beating cancer.

So, thanks for listen to my post ahah. Its early, I just woke up and Im in pain so Im quite upset.

So as far as the fast goes, Just lots of water and juice would be ideal?

Also, should I still avoid bananas during the fast? or would it still be beneficial?

Ill figure out what Im working with here. Ill let you guys know. Thanks again <3

Date: January 15, 2009 10:33PM

herbalgerbals,

After reading your post, I would recommend what a few very astute people on these boards have recommended and that is doing this grain-free. The main problem I had with the vegan diet was that I had a tendency, as most vegans do, I think, to over-rely on starches for carbs and proteins and not enough on plants, that is, fruits and vegetables. This was not my problem as an ovo-lacto vegetarian, so it really bothered me. It's almost like you get addicted to the neurochemicals in grain foods! If you have perhaps the slightest inherent sensitivity or allergy to grain foods, it would show up as intestinal problems, so I would consider getting off brown rice(that includes tempeh, as it is frequently mixed with brown rice or barley in processing) as soon as possible to see if the flare-ups subsides. I am not an allergist, and that is why I am telling you firmly, you sound like you have an allergy to something you're eating. This is a good time to make the change, because you are right--you are too young to deal with intestinal problems!

The water fast is the fastest way to transition, but it is also the hardest. When you starve your body of nutrients, it starts to expell all kinds of nasty things it's been storing, and that can feel awful, especially couple with the uncertainty of how long it will take to end. Bryan, our moderator, and a few other people on the boards have done it this way and it is very effective. Staying hydrated allows your cells to push out the bad stuff and ready themselves for the good stuff. Because there's no way to calculate how much bad stuff you contain, you have to be very careful not to exert yourself during this period and abort your healing process. Perhaps the hardest people who do it this way must submit to is rest, rest, rest. We lead busy lives, and it's hard to know when to take a break. That's why there's the less strenuous way to transition, with lots of thin juices. In your case, I'd recommend leafy greens for their chlorophyll and sulpher(good anti-inflammatories) and vitamins & minerals, especially alkaloids and Vit K. If you can find a source of raw[cold pressed] aloe vera gel, consume a few tablespoons a day mixed with juiced raw green apple flesh(no peels) or orange flesh. Aloe has been clinically proven to heal the tissues of the intestinal tract.

As for bananas, I'd do without for a while. They can be constipative, and in any case, it may benefit you to eliminate fiber right now until your pain abates. Yes, fiber is good for you and a typical raw foodist consumes a lot. And if you do some juice, you will get small amounts of fiber. But you don't need tons of bulk in your colon if it's inflamed! Give it a break! Consuming huge amounts of liquid, like clear water or thin juices, will really help.

As for your size: work with what you got, kiddo. Don't worry about amino supplements right now. You are sick. Worry about that. Supplementing while raw is a matter of personal preference. No one can tell you what to do about it. And you're twenty, dear. You're still growing, and you've got lots of time to "make your body." As everyone knows, it's your insides that count, and I'm only partly metaphorical here. If your lower intestine packs up and leaves during the night, you really won't care how ripped you look in a mirror, right? Right. And believe me, as soon as your insides heal, your mental insides will start to heal also. And then you'll be more able to assess your physical stature and form with objectivity and love for yourself, rather than negative judgment and insecurity. As I always tell my friends: there are plenty of people in this world more than willing to kick you when you're down--don't give them a head start. Let us know how you are doing, and good luck. I'm pullin' for ya smiling smiley

Date: January 16, 2009 04:43AM

Wow, thank you for all of that.. That was really Helpful.. I was smilin by the end of it.
Im getting a juicer tommarow, and im gonna start doing it.

So all kinds of leafy greens, Should I avoid fruits? I had an impression fruit was the cleaner and the greens are the builders..
Drink lots of fruit and greens and watermelon!

I will keep posting here my daily trials and events surrounding this diet, Hopefully you guys dot mind reading my daily blogs!
I really appreciate those kind words, Im taking it to heart.

Im quite excitied about this transition. Ive been preparing myself mentally for a lot of positive changes.
Wich use to be hard for me. Thinking postive that is, Im use to thinking towards failure, so I dont experience the pain as much.. stupid I know.

Date: January 16, 2009 02:32PM

Yep, drink lots of fruits, and greens, and watermelon. The point is to get this stuff in liquid form with the fiber broken down by a juicer(or high speed) blender--this will give your intestine extra help.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 16, 2009 04:19PM

i respectfully beg to differ.

when we eat fruits and chew them properly and thoroughly,
they should be in a form that the digestive system, even a damaged one, can handle.
this is merely an assertion on my part, but it is no different from other assertions made here without proof.

i see no reason for it to be the case that we need to juice.

the argument could perhaps be made for veggies, but not necessarily if chewing soft greens thoroughly.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 16, 2009 05:59PM

Herbalgergals

I don't know enough to advice you I merely wish to offer you support. I have a nephew who had ulcerative colitis as a teenager and I know how horrid and painful it is. I saw what it did to his social life and his confidence.

I really congratulate you for looking for ways to sort it out through your diet.

Please don't worry about your stature - my partner and father of my child is a little guy but to me he is the best in the world. I won't wax lyrical here but remember it's what you say and do that matters. No body wants a guy with a perfect body who is a total arse!! Anyway as Tamukha says you do have time on your side - health first, muscles later.

Best of luck - do keep us posted - every one here will be supporting you

Philippa

Date: January 16, 2009 06:45PM

fresh,

[sigh]There is no therapeutic benefit to chewing whole vegetables and fruits with acute ulcerative colitis. Period. A soft or liquified diet has always been prescribed for conditions such as these by allopathic and alternative healers alike, through trial and error testing. It's just easier on the small and large colon, physically. I am all for eating foods in their whole form if one's intestine is already healthy, as I do when I'm not having IBS symptoms. But that's not herbalgerbals' current state. In any case, there is no harm in a juice-based diet while ill.

Date: January 16, 2009 06:50PM

<3 thank you all..

So, basically where Im at today.

I just had some papaya, and I also have some melon cut open, but I remember somthing about proper digestion?

Isnt there a rule of thumb about eating melon? that it cannot be eaten with anything else?

So I had the papaya instead.. now waiting on the melon, maybe 30 minutes ors omthing.

Also, is there any arguements against eating fruits Cold? kept in the fridge? I also thought that eating fruits cold places stress or spasms for the intestinal tract?

Im not sure how accurate that information is, the food combination is quite confusing to me...

Also, flipperjan what ended up happenng with your nephew with ulcerative colitis?

Did he heal? Or go raw? Or take a bunch of medicines?
If you could fill me in I would love to listen.

Also, so am I on the journey of alkalizing my digestive tract?

Aha, a lot of also's in there huh.

Im getting the juicer in the next couple of hours. Gonna get my greens, and it worked out perfectly the weekend is here so Im just gonna juice, rest rest rest and let my body slowly recover.. Im hoping some of my intestinal pain will subside by monday. =]

Lets see what happens. It took me 20 years to get here, so I am sure it wont change in a week ahah.

<3 much love thank you guys.

Date: January 16, 2009 08:43PM

better not to eat food cold from refrigerator, herbalgerbals....

tamukha,

[sigh]

amazing how condescending something like the above can be.
i wonder why you think you are so right and i am so wrong .

>There is no therapeutic benefit to chewing whole vegetables and fruits with acute ulcerative colitis. Period.

i do not speak of therapeutic benefits.

if you chew your food thoroughly, it will be in a state that the digestive system can handle, including the fiber. are you trying to tell me that the digestive system cannot handle the watery mush and minimal soluble fiber that results from proper mastication of fruits? we can certainly disagree in philosophy. i'm not buying your logic or proof offered.

best of luck to you herbalgerbals whatever you do...

Date: January 16, 2009 08:58PM

david klein who was referenced here, does not say juice ONLY as is being said here.
he says whole non acidic fruits. he healed himself in a couple months

Date: January 16, 2009 11:37PM

Herbalgerbal - my nephew couldn't stand it in the end and chose to have the major operation which chopped it out. He has a bag for life now - but is happy with his choice and getting on with his life. Before the op. he couldn't work, often couldn't stray far from the loo and became severely thin. He was often in terrible pain. Nothing the doctors did seemed to help. He is 6'2" and became like a walking beanpole. His mother tried eliminating certain foods like wheat and dairy one at a time to see if it helped and nothing did. They didn't know about raw then although i doubt they would have embraced it. I probably wouldn't have offered that information but since you asked i did. I hope it doesn't depress you - I am sure that you can find a way to heal your intestines with the right foods. I wish you all the luck in the world.

Philippa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2009 11:41PM by flipperjan.

Date: January 17, 2009 03:12AM

Unfortunatly, that option has already been awarded to me.

Im on the prednisone wich is a steroid, or immune supressent.

The next thing is Remicade, or other types of drugs in that degree.

the operation has always been spoken about as an option,

Im not ready to give up tho... my friend has crohns disease, he had his operation, parts cut out I believe 32mm of his intestines, 5 or so years ago.

He has complained of minor flare ups since then, so I believe the diseas needs to be controlled, not cut out..

I bought my juicer. =] UNFORTUNATLY, I cannot find either of those books!
The bookstore says there out of print.. and so I must wait a week so they come in the mail...

So, just to make sure. Suggestions have been

Light juice diet? None-acidc fruits, and LOTS OF LOTS of water.
And let me body rest? Sound a bout right so far friends?

I have bought a bunch of collard greens, kale, beets, spinach

Any other suggestions for greens/veggies to juice? or that I should stick with while Im int he first stages of transition?

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: January 17, 2009 02:34PM

herbalgerbals Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I have bought a bunch of collard greens, kale,
> beets, spinach
>
> Any other suggestions for greens/veggies to juice?
> or that I should stick with while Im int he first
> stages of transition?

..yes re. the collard greens, kale, beets, spinachsmiling smiley.. another one is dandelion, and would like to second the use of whole leaf aloe vera (I eat about one large stalk a week) -- even if one has to hold their nose to get these things down tongue sticking out smiley.... the chlorophyll in greens works well as a colon cleanser -- it chemically binds with toxins, and the nutrients nourish the colon.

..also like carrots and coconuts for vitamins, minerals and calories; and they can be juiced or blended to suit.. and coconut water as a blood builder.

peace

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: January 17, 2009 04:02PM

UC and CD are both fat sensitive and having trouble digesting them. Just keep the fatcalories below 10% and you will not have THAT problem. =)

Date: January 17, 2009 04:47PM

Oh, and watch your food combining.. it sounds like you have eaten lots of protein (i.e. "fish"winking smiley in the past (search "protein myth"winking smiley.. if one were to eat meals high in protein AND fat (bad combo) they may not digest completely resulting in putrifaction etc. in the digestive tract resulting in bad bacteria. We want the GOOD bacteria to rule..

"Aetiology
"It seems likely that the transcription factor T-bet involved in the host-commensal interface has a key role, as demonstrated in a mouse model of the disease[1]. T-bet regulates TNF-alpha production from colonic dendritic cells which is important for colonic epithelial barrier maintenance. Loss of T-bet in mice influences normal colonic bacterial populations to become colitogenic, and these bacteria once transformed can produce colitis in a genetically intact mouse. This would be consistent with the emergence of harmful intestinal flora due to an abnormal immune system response and with TNF-alpha being the key driver of the inflammatory disease process. It would suggest that bowel flora and TNF-alpha are both necessary for ulcerative colitis to occur, but more importantly some sub-populations of colonic bacteria can be transformed into pathogenic forms by activation of TNF-alpha." [www.ganfyd.org]

..the foods you have listed, herbalgerbals, are excellent in promoting good bacteria.

Edit: sorry, another mice study, which are of dubious value IMO and often harm the mousesad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2009 04:55PM by loeve.

Date: January 17, 2009 09:28PM

Good afternoon friends.
WellIve been juicing since yesterday!
But I am addin hemp protein and brown rice protein to my smoothies twice a day...

Otherwise, Im juicing it up!

I mae some delicious carrot juie,pear juice, apple juice, collard greens, chards,kale, spinach!!!! grinning smiley beets ad papaya an watermelon and even some jicama!

Its wierd to, after drinkig the GREENS I feel like puking.. is this normal? Or is it the detox?

Its seriosl, right afterI drink the collard or kale or chards I feel awefully full.
And then nauseated...

Aso, what do you uy recommendfor juice consumption a day for my second day?

Just juiceas much as I can tolerate?

Thank you for being so patient about my questons.
<33

Im gonna go walk in te sun with the dogs. Ill keep in touch! BUT SO FAR IM SO FULL OF ENERGY =]

Oh last thing, did anything notice any muscle soreness, llike you just worked out yesterday and now your sore when you were frst transitioning?
My musles feel all tight and mildy sore.. feelg good, but just wondering if i too is becuase of the detox proces?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2009 09:30PM by herbalgerbals.

Date: January 18, 2009 01:23AM

I wouldn't drink things that make me feel like being sick.

Go gradually towards green juice. I believe that as you get more used to being raw this type of juice becomes more enjoyable.

I find that a juice made of apples and carrots gives me tremendous wind - I love it but it has consequences!!!

Trial and error as to what juices are best for you but I guarantee that if you force yourself to drink or eat things that you do not enjoy you will not be able to remain raw.

Walking with the dogs in the sun sounds lovely - try not to spend all day thinking about food - give yourself a break.

all the very best to you

Philippa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2009 01:26AM by flipperjan.

Posted by: richard blackman ()
Date: January 18, 2009 02:27AM

Hey buddy....Get some proper coaching from a medical professional in your area that can see you in person and that you can hold accountable...

RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2009 02:30AM by richard blackman.

Date: January 18, 2009 02:46AM

>But I am addin hemp protein and brown rice protein to my smoothies twice a day...

i wouldn't suggest adding in protein. it's not necessary and actually not a good idea in many ways.

>Its wierd to, after drinkig the GREENS I feel like puking.. is this normal? Or is it the detox?

avoid those greens like chard, etc., they can cause problems as your body is trying to tell you.
if you must drink greens, only drink those you like the taste of.

Date: January 18, 2009 03:05AM

herbalgerbals Wrote:
> Good afternoon friends.
> WellIve been juicing since yesterday!
> But I am addin hemp protein and brown rice protein
> to my smoothies twice a day...
>
> Otherwise, Im juicing it up!
>
> I mae some delicious carrot juie,pear juice, apple
> juice, collard greens, chards,kale, spinach!!!! grinning smiley
> beets ad papaya an watermelon and even some
> jicama!
>
> Its wierd to, after drinkig the GREENS I feel like
> puking.. is this normal? Or is it the detox?
>
> Its seriosl, right afterI drink the collard or
> kale or chards I feel awefully full.
> And then nauseated...

..that's a good start.. it is normal to feel sick when eating lots of foods outside your normal diet, a little like learning to walk again.... kale, collards, spinach and dandelion taste bitter to me but are welcomed big time by my body.. too many beets and sometimes swisschard make me queasy but very seldom sick.. I'm of the "Rocky" school - it does not have to taste good.

>
> Aso, what do you uy recommendfor juice consumption
> a day for my second day?
>
> Just juiceas much as I can tolerate?

..maybe go cautiously?.. and not get over-full giving your stomach a chance to digest AND empty between meals/drinks?

..a food combining/digestion time chart can be of help if you find foods not sitting well..

[www.raw-food-living.com]

>
> Thank you for being so patient about my questons.
> <33
>
> Im gonna go walk in te sun with the dogs. Ill keep
> in touch! BUT SO FAR IM SO FULL OF ENERGY =]
>
> Oh last thing, did anything notice any muscle
> soreness, llike you just worked out yesterday and
> now your sore when you were frst transitioning?
> My musles feel all tight and mildy sore.. feelg
> good, but just wondering if i too is becuase of
> the detox proces?

..even flu-like symptoms are not uncommon when rapid transitioning.. gradual changes to the diet are often recommended to manage detox.. good day!

cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2009 03:13AM by loeve.

Date: January 18, 2009 03:20AM

loeve Wrote:
-----------------
> >>
> ..yes re. the collard greens, kale, beets,
> spinachsmiling smiley.. another one is dandelion, and would
> like to second the use of whole leaf aloe vera (I
> eat about one large stalk a week) -- even if one
> has to hold their nose to get these things down
> tongue sticking out smiley.... the chlorophyll in greens works well as a
> colon cleanser -- it chemically binds with toxins,
> and the nutrients nourish the colon.
>
> ..also like carrots and coconuts for vitamins,
> minerals and calories; and they can be juiced or
> blended to suit.. and coconut water as a blood
> builder.
>
> peace

loeve,

once again i am loathe to do this, but we are talking about a naive person taking advice and being harmed ...

you have given advice here and someone has taken your advice.
from that advice herbalgerbals got nauseous.

This is not detox and is not a good thing!

Greens as you recommended will cause nauseating feelings in some people depending on their state and the type/amount eaten/juiced!

this is why (once again) it is better to EAT FOOD as opposed to juicing!
then we don't have problems - we will only eat proper foods .
we bypass the bodily signals otherwise.

why not be careful as to what you are recommending
are you an expert of some sort?
are you taking responsibility for another persons health ?

Nobody should EVER hold ones nose to Get food down!

chlorophyll is not a colon cleanser !
it does not chemically bind with toxins!

where's susan powter when you need her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2009 03:26AM by fresh.

Date: January 18, 2009 03:42AM

> once again i am loathe to do this, but we are
> talking about a naive person taking advice and
> being harmed ...

..herbalgerbals is neither naive nor harmed. Haven't you read Syd's posts?

Date: January 18, 2009 04:52AM

> chlorophyll is not a colon cleanser !
> it does not chemically bind with toxins!

"Wheatgrass juice has been investigated as a possible therapy for ulcerative colitis. The components of wheatgrass juice include chlorophyll; vitamins A, C, and E; and various amino acids. It has been demonstrated that wheatgrass juice is anti-mutagenic. One constituent of wheatgrass is apigenin, which is believed to possess both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Some believe that this constituent may be beneficial in ulcerative colitis.[42,44] It is a bioflavonoid that has been shown to inhibit TNF-induced transactivation.[43]

"A randomized controlled trial of wheatgrass juice in the management of ulcerative colitis has demonstrated some efficacy. While sigmoidoscopic evaluation failed to demonstrate a statistically significant difference between the treatment and control group, it was demonstrated that there was a significant difference in other symptomatic indicators of disease activity, such as rectal bleeding. Although there was not a statistically significant difference in relation to sigmoidoscopic evaluation, 78% of the treatment group improved compared to 30% of the control group.[44]"

"Aloe vera:
"Aloe vera is used by some patients with IBD. Few studies have been performed evaluating the effectiveness of aloe vera in the management of IBD. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of aloe vera in patients with mild to moderate ulcerative colitis demonstrated improved clinical symptoms (P = .01) and histologic scores (P = .03) in patients taking aloe vera vs placebo. The exact mechanism of action of aloe vera is unclear, but may include antioxidant and immunosuppressive effects. In vitro studies on human colon mucosa have demonstrated that aloe vera gel inhibits prostaglandin E2 and IL-8.[52,53]"
[www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2009 04:59AM by loeve.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 18, 2009 05:51AM

All I know is Nuts have good protien. Bean Pies are perfect to keep the muscles fed as a full cup of navy beans = 15grams of protien. 3 grams off 1 scoop of High Quality protien sold online for Body Builders. So you would get more then enough protien to feed your muscles it isnt raw but it works. Just answering your question. The people here would have to tell you weather it helps your condition or make it worse thats alot of fiber.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: January 18, 2009 09:24AM

Oh, keep away from nuts and seeds! =)

Date: January 18, 2009 09:30AM

Cooked beans or sprouted beans and nuts in any quantity (like more than 2 or 3)do hideous things to my gut and I do not have colitis - I would be very careful of beans and pulses and nuts. Just my opinion.

Date: January 18, 2009 01:08PM

loeve Wrote:

>herbalgerbals is neither naive nor harmed. Haven't you read Syd's posts?

yes i read them. and it's shocking to me the lack of empathy and responsibility that you're taking.
naive meaning a beginner with little knowledge, and too easy to be swayed by nonsense.

>
> "Wheatgrass juice has been investigated as a
> possible therapy for ulcerative colitis. The
> components of wheatgrass juice include
> chlorophyll; vitamins A, C, and E; and various
> amino acids. It has been demonstrated that
> wheatgrass juice is anti-mutagenic. One
> constituent of wheatgrass is apigenin, which is
> believed to possess both anti-inflammatory and
> antioxidant properties. Some believe that this
> constituent may be beneficial in ulcerative
> colitis.[42,44] It is a bioflavonoid that has been
> shown to inhibit TNF-induced transactivation.[43]

1. wheatgrass is not unique
2. wheatgrass is not a food
3. the body heals
4. the above proves Nothing

>
> "A randomized controlled trial of wheatgrass juice
> in the management of ulcerative colitis has
> demonstrated some efficacy. While sigmoidoscopic
> evaluation failed to demonstrate a statistically
> significant difference between the treatment and
> control group, it was demonstrated that there was
> a significant difference in other symptomatic
> indicators of disease activity, such as rectal
> bleeding. Although there was not a statistically
> significant difference in relation to
> sigmoidoscopic evaluation, 78% of the treatment
> group improved compared to 30% of the control
> group.[44]"
>

1. not Statistically significant
2. you have no IDEA of the relative strength of the subjects bodies and ability to heal on their own, which explains the percent difference, as could their knowledge of the study design or many other things

> "Aloe vera:
> "Aloe vera is used by some patients with IBD. Few
> studies have been performed evaluating the
> effectiveness of aloe vera in the management of
> IBD. A randomized, double-blind,
> placebo-controlled trial of aloe vera in patients
> with mild to moderate ulcerative colitis
> demonstrated improved clinical symptoms (P = .01)
> and histologic scores (P = .03) in patients taking
> aloe vera vs placebo. The exact mechanism of
> action of aloe vera is unclear, but may include
> antioxidant and immunosuppressive effects. In
> vitro studies on human colon mucosa have
> demonstrated that aloe vera gel inhibits
> prostaglandin E2 and IL-8.[52,53]"
> [www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov]
> i?artid=1925010

If you would actually read the below source for your so called proof below, you will see that it proves NOTHING.

[[[incubated colorectal mucosal biopsies]]]]

is this a joke?

does the body not have "anti-inflammatory" and "inflammatory"
responses that it uses inherently without outside interference?

have you ever heard of healing while fasting? how does that happen in the absence of wheatgrass, aloe vera, etc

yes, i know, the poor body needs our genius Help. Insanity.

-------------

BACKGROUND: Oral aloe vera gel is widely used by patients with inflammatory bowel disease and is under therapeutic evaluation for this condition. AIM: To assess the effects of aloe vera in vitro on the production of reactive oxygen metabolites, eicosanoids and interleukin-8, all of which may be pathogenic in inflammatory bowel disease. METHODS: The anti-oxidant activity of aloe vera was assessed in two cell-free, radical-generating systems and by the chemiluminescence of incubated colorectal mucosal biopsies. Eicosanoid production by biopsies and interleukin-8 release by CaCo2 epithelial cells in the presence of aloe vera were measured by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. RESULTS: Aloe vera gel had a dose-dependent inhibitory effect on reactive oxygen metabolite production; 50% inhibition occurred at 1 in 1000 dilution in the phycoerythrin assay and at 1 in 10-50 dilution with biopsies. Aloe vera inhibited the production of prostaglandin E2 by 30% at 1 in 50 dilution (P = 0.03), but had no effect on thromboxane B2 production. The release of interleukin-8 by CaCo2 cells fell by 20% (P < 0.05) with aloe vera diluted at 1 in 100, but not at 1 in 10 or 1 in 1000 dilutions. CONCLUSION: The anti-inflammatory actions of aloe vera gel in vitro provide support for the proposal that it may have a therapeutic effect in inflammatory bowel disease.

are you making the claim that the human body is NOT self healing?
why is everyone so meddlesome with the body?
why does everyone want to pretend to be a guru?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables