Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bodybuilder transitioning to RAW LIFE style
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: January 18, 2009 03:04PM

herbalgerbals Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...
> So, just to make sure. Suggestions have been
>
>
> Light juice diet? None-acidc fruits, and LOTS OF
> LOTS of water.
> And let me body rest? Sound a bout right so far
> friends?
>
> I have bought a bunch of collard greens, kale,
> beets, spinach
>
> Any other suggestions for greens/veggies to juice?
> or that I should stick with while Im int he first
> stages of transition?

..looking back at your decision process, herbalgerbal....
Suggestions noted:

1) Light juice diet
2) None-acidic fruits
3) LOTS AND LOTS of water
4) Let my body rest

"Sound a bout right so far my friends?

"I have bought a bunch of collard greens, kale, beets, spinach. Any other suggestions for greens/veggies to juice? or that I should stick with while Im int he first stages of transition?"

..sounds like you chose "light juice diet", sounds good to mesmiling smiley

peace

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: herbalgerbals ()
Date: January 18, 2009 06:37PM

I really appreciate everyones help and response.

And well I am learning, and growing ina new stage of my life.

I dont think anyones wrong here, I think hsa to do wth philospohy and ones own personal experience and readings...

Now on a seperate note,

Im still juicing. Havent ate anything other then bananas, some avocados.

Woke up an had some cocunt water from a young coconut. =]
That was DELICIOUS.

Just noting, the problem with eating raw greens and veggies wich was noted by paul nison (cured himself of IBD), was to not eat Any raw fruits or veggies DURING inflammation.. wich is why I havent been eating them.. Plus kale and collards greens are Quite hard to eat, the taste isnt very appealing..

Positive tho, Im learning how to use carrots or beets for mixture and it takes away the unappealing taste. =]

So the drinking isnt the main problem anymore.

It seems the juice just runs straight threw me tho. That sound about right?

Im not trying to get to discriptive, but watery and dark color bowel movements arent to strange for this sort of diet?

Sigh, so I am loosing a tiny bit of weight over these 2 - 3 days..
Trying to remain postive tho, although I really miss more of my muscle mass...

You think eat a little bit of fish today would totally defeat the entire purpose of this weekend?

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: January 18, 2009 09:25PM

Hi,

I'd suggest checking out www.juicefeasting.com Many people have had great success with long term juice feasting.

Add as many apples as you need to to make your green juice palatable. I personally like 3 apples mixed with greens (celery -few sticks, cucumber -1/2, parsley - few sprigs, and leafy greens -a couple hands full - spinach is the mildest flavored). This makes 1Liter/16oz.

When juice feasting you would drink 3 of the above green juices a day as well as 1Liter/16 oz of fruit juice. You could drink even more if you feel you need to. Hemp oil or coconut oil may be taken occasionally, as well as some cleansing supplements.

I would definitely recommend exploring this. I myself did it for 45 days and found it to be quite life changing and energizing.

All the best.

Sunflower

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 19, 2009 03:30AM

You also might want to check out the Wheatgrass Book or just read up on wheatgrass juice online. You mentioned that you were anemic, so information in there might help. Here is a quote by Ann Wigmore from that book that compares chlorophyll and hemoglobin:

"Years ago, Dr. Hans Fischer and a group of associates won a Nobel Prize for their work on red blood cells. During their research, the scientists noticed that human blood, which carries oxygen to all our cells, is practically identical to chlorophyll on the molecular level. In the human body, red blood cells are characterized by the oxygen-carrier, hemoglobin, which has as its central nucleus the mineral element iron. Most green plants, on the other hand, are characterized by chlorophyll, which has magnesium as its nucleus. A careful examination of the two molecules shows them to be strikingly similar.
In 1930, Dr. A. Zin showed that an injection of chlorophyll increased the red blood cell count of animals with normal hemoglobin counts. Scientists J.H. Hughs and A. L. Latner of the University of Liverpool went one step further. In their study, reported in the Journal of Physiology in 1936, a number of animals were made anemic by daily bleeding. After their hemoglobin levels were reduced to less than half the norm, the animals were divided into ten groups. Five of the groups were fed various types of chlorophyll in their diet. The five groups of control animals did not receive any chlorophyll. Those animals receiving “crude” or raw, unrefined chlorophyll were able to increase the speed of hemoglobin regeneration by more than 50% above average, to approximate their perceiving synthetic chlorophyll showed no improvement in the speed of hemoglobin regeneration. In their report, the scientists concluded: “It seems, therefore, that the animal body is capable of converting chlorophyll to hemoglobin.” Raw, unrefined chlorophyll seemed to be the best for this purpose.
Chlorophyll was formerly used by some physicians to treat anemia. But even if you’re not anemic, an increase of red blood cells could mean better circulation and oxygenation to the cells, and rapid body cleansing. My empirical evidence has shown this to be the case. And since oxygen is quickly used up in the many body functions it is responsible for (the brain body), the infusion of it into the blood via wheatgrass juice, among other things, stimulates an improvement in the immune system-our natural means of preventing and healing illness. In other words, the blood becomes richer and the body healthier by its use."

also check this website for more information on that: [www.wheatgrass.com]

Green juices are great, but still wheatgrass can be a great addition to your diet.

Date: January 19, 2009 05:23AM

> "Years ago, Dr. Hans Fischer and a group of
> associates won a Nobel Prize for their work on red
> blood cells...

vasilisab,
I've always admired Ann Wigmore and have wondered where some of the views on chlorophyll and hemoglobin came from. Hans Fisher, in his Nobel Lecture of 1930 explains the relationship between chlorophyll and blood pigment (heme) as closer than previously assumed, and "a common evolutionary origin of the two pigments necessary for the life of animals and plants,a hypothesis which well merits experimental treatment."

H A N S F I S C H E R
On haemin and the relationships between haemin and chlorophyll
Nobel Lecture, December 11, 1930 (pps. 183-4)

"...According to this, the relationships between chlorophyll and blood pigment (haemin) are closer than has been assumed hitherto, if, as is most probable, the first of these formulae for phylloerythrin is the correct one, because phylloerythrin will then be relatively closely related to mesoporphyrin...
...Further work is required on reconversion of chlorophyll porphyrins obtained analytically into chlorines, and on their biological behaviour, but an even larger number of investigations will be needed for clarifying the constitution of chlorophyll. Since the sequence of the substituents in chlorophyll is known, the way is open on principle for systematic synthetic research, and because porphyrins occur in plants, we would seem to be justified in assuming a common evolutionary origin of the two pigments necessary for the life of animals and plants,a hypothesis which well merits experimental treatment."
[nobelprize.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2009 05:33AM by loeve.

Posted by: herbalgerbals ()
Date: January 19, 2009 07:15AM

But I need a special juier for wheatgrass hmm, those are quite expensive arent they?

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 19, 2009 09:47AM

I found a manual juicer that was very cheap that worked fairly well with wheatgrass - the only problem was I couldn't underany circumstances drink the wheatgrass - lol - I'd grown the wretched stuff too.

Date: January 20, 2009 02:44AM

Well, I use the VitaMix blender for that purpose. Once you blended the greens, run them trough a milk bag and you will have your wheatgrass juice. (THere are also video demos of that on YouTube)

Flipperjan, I agree, it might pretty hard to drink wheatgrass on its own at first. There are a few options. Sometimes, people get used to it, especially if their diet already includes green juices/ smoothies/soups. Or wheatgrass juice can be mixed in with other foods (assuming they are going to be consumed immediately). For example, I put wheatgrass into green smoothies that I drink every morning. That makes it a lot easier, since the taste of wheatgrass juice is nearly not as concentrated.

Date: January 20, 2009 06:12PM

All high acid-forming foods should be avoided if possible. That means all animal and cereal products. Beans and nuts are mostly acid-forming, but are not high and not all are acid. Eat plenty of raw fruit and vegies.

Date: February 10, 2009 04:04AM

> UC and CD are both fat sensitive and having
> trouble digesting them. Just keep the fatcalories
> below 10% and you will not have THAT problem. =)

My understanding was that medium chain fatty acids, such as those in coconut, are more easily digested and absorbed; whereas longer chain fats need to be broken down by digestion prior to absorbsion. So medium chain fats may digest well in moderate amounts, and long chain fatty acids may be better limited to low amounts. Has anyone ever heard this?.... brad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2009 04:06AM by loeve.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 10, 2009 05:18AM

[longer chain fats need to be broken down by digestion prior to absorbsion. So medium chain fats may digest well in moderate amounts, and long chain fatty acids may be better limited to low amounts.]

It's not a matter of "digesting well."

But there is a reason to avoid high amounts of long-chain fatty acids: they are more prone to oxidation than shorter chain ones. You need enough but I see no reason to get a lot more than enough. Once they are oxidized they can't do their "jobs" in the cells. Also if you get too much you may have problems with blood clotting.

There are also reasons to avoid high amounts saturated fats, a. there is no requirement for them in the human body and b. they interfere with conversion of short-chain omega-3 to long-chain omega-3, an important issue for vegans who do not supplement with the algae-based DHA (which is expensive).

Fats are tricky.

If you are going to get a lot more than what you need of any fat, make it monounsaturated: olives, avocado, almonds, that sort of thing. They can convert to other types of fat in the body but not to the long-chain omega3s. For that you need adequate short-chain omega3, which is why so many of us use flax seed and walnuts etc.

Date: February 10, 2009 02:37PM

Thanks, arugula, actually digestion is important in this case, which is a discussion of inflamatory bowel diseases such as ulcerative colitus. Maybe I should have referenced the following on dietary factors:

"The amount of fat in enteral diets has been shown to affect remission rate. It is also believed that the type of fat may play a role. When a meta-analysis was performed looking at the rate of remission as compared to the amount of fat in enteral feedings, it was shown that fat content and remission rate were inversely related. But it was predominantly long-chain triglycerides that appeared to have this adverse effect. When medium-chain triglycerides were added, there was no noted adverse effect on remission rate.

"The determination as to whether a triglyceride is classified as a long or short chain is based on the number of carbons the fatty acids contains. Greater than 12 carbons in a fatty acid signifies a long-chain triglyceride, and between 6 and 12 carbon atoms classifies it as a medium chain. Medium-chain triglycerides are digested and absorbed more completely than their long-chain counterparts, and are water soluble. Medium-chain triglycerides are found in coconut oil, whereas safflower and soybean oil are good sources of long-chain triglycerides.[17]

"Other small studies have shown that low-fat diets and diets with medium-chain triglycerides are superior to higher fat diets in the induction and maintenance of remission.[18,19]

"Case control studies have shown that ulcerative colitis may be associated with an increased intake of monosaturated and polyunsaturated fats. It has been also shown that omega-6 fatty acids are positively correlated with IBD, whereas omega-3 fatty acids are negatively correlated.[3,20] Omega-6 fatty acids are the precursor to synthesis of arachidonic acid, which is degraded into powerful mediators of inflammation by phospholipase A2.[14] However, omega-3 fatty acids compete with omega-6 fatty acids in the synthesis pathway of arachidonic acid, thereby decreasing its synthesis, and subsequently the synthesis of inflammatory mediators."

[www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov]

The nomenclature is tricky isn't it. By medium chain fatty acids I was referring to those with 6 to 12 carbons, more or less.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: February 10, 2009 03:48PM

>For that you need adequate short-chain omega3, which is why so many of us use flax seed and walnuts etc.

wouldn't one want to establish that the right amount/kind of fat cannot be had eating ones current foods prior to using flax and walnuts, which are less than ideal in other ways such as water content?

Posted by: richard blackman ()
Date: February 11, 2009 05:58AM

Wouldn't it just be easier to let your body tell you what it needs instead of doing it the other way around?

RB

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables