Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Put down the raw chocolate and stop eating 30 bananas a day. Read This.
Posted by: Paul Nison ()
Date: February 01, 2009 02:44PM

From Raw Food Author Paul Nison www.Paulnison.com

It seems there are many people eating a raw food diet who are very confused about what is healthy and not healthy. Many raw fooders eat tons of chocolate and others over eat on fruit. There is even a website group that suggest people eat 30 bananas a day. I want to help clear up the confusion. Below is an article that I highly suggest anyone interested in eating a raw food diet, or any diet for the matter read. I’ve been eating according to these guidelines now for over 14 years. My health is in excellent shape and my endurance and strength for hard work and sports in better than anyone I know who is my age. I work out in the gym, and on occasion have taken 100-mile bike rides just to see how far I can go. There is no lack of anything on this diet.

It does concern me that there are people who have been eating a raw food diet, some not even one year suggesting this guidelines are wrong and people should be overeating on fruit and eating processed foods like chocolate. Take note if you are on or considering eating an 80/10/10 diet suggested by Doug Graham or a diet of processed junk food suggested by David Wolfe they are dangerous in the long run! I know it’s fun at first to eat that way but this is not a game. Your health is on the line.

If you do not agree with my personal beliefs that’s fine, people can have different opinions and some people have to find out for themselves what works and what doesn’t, but when you have the top leaders in the raw food movement with over 411 years of this lifestyle to back out their findings you must wake up.

Brian Clement, Gabriel Cousens, or Dr. Fred Bisci all admit eating too much fruit and raw chocolate are harmful for the body. It is foolish to claim they are wrong and you know better than they do if you have only been eating a raw food diet a few years and they have the experience and science to back up these claims.

INTERNATIONAL LIVING FOOD SUMMIT
Vibrant Health Through Plant-Based Nutrition

This historic summit was held at the Hippocrates Health Institute in West Palm Beach Florida on January 14, 2006. The summit convened to unify the leadership in the Living Food Movement, establishing scientifically based common standards for optimum health.

Leaders from eight countries (with a combined total of 411 years following this lifestyle) agreed on the following standards:
(Compiled and Organized by Jameth Sheridan, N.D.)

The Optimum Diet for Health/Longevity:
• Vegan (no animal products of any kind, cooked or raw)
• Organic
• Whole Foods
• High in nutrition such as vitamins, antioxidants and phytonutrients
• Highly mineralized
• Contains a significant quantity of chlorophyll-rich green foods
• Contains adequate complete protein from plant sources
• Contains a large proportion of high-water content foods
• Provides excellent hydration
• Includes raw vegetable juices
• Contains all essential fatty acids, including Omega 3 fatty acids from
naturally occurring plant sources
• Is at least 80% raw (the remaining to be Vegan, whole food, and organic)
• Has moderate, yet adequate caloric intake
• Contains only low to moderate sugar and exclusively from whole food sources (fruitarianism is strongly discouraged)
• Is nutritionally optimal for both detoxification and rebuilding

We also agree that:
• Supplementation with Vitamin B-12 is advised.
• The addition of enzyme active superfoods and whole food supplements is also advised.
• This way of eating can be further optimized by tailoring it based on individual needs (within the principles stated).
• Benefits derived by following these principles are proportional to how well they are followed.
• We will remain open-minded, and this information will be updated and expanded upon, if necessary, as new research becomes available.
• Diet is a critical piece of a healthy lifestyle, yet not the entire picture. A full spectrum, health supportive lifestyle is encouraged. This includes physical exercise, exposure to sunshine, as well as psychological health. Avoiding environmental toxins and toxic products is essential. Paramount is pure water (for consumption and bathing), the use of natural fiber clothing, and non-toxic personal care products. Also consider healthy options in home furnishings/building materials and related items.

All leaders agree that the main objective of eating in the above mentioned fashion is to promote health, and equally to prevent and minimize disease.

The following leaders support these principles:
(listed in alphabetical order)
Solveig Almqvist – Secretary of the Enzyme Swedish Living Foods association - Sweden
Tommy Axelsson – Secretary of the Enzyme Swedish Living Foods association - Sweden
Fred Bisci, PhD – USA
Tamera Campbell – Vision - USA
Rajaa Chbani – Pharmacie L’Unite - Morocco
Gabriel Cousens, MD, MD(H) – Diplomat American Board of Holistic Medicine - USA
Brenda Cobb – Living Foods Institute - USA
Anna Maria Clement, CN, NMD, PhD – Hippocrates Health Institute - USA
Brian Clement, CN, NMD, PhD – Hippocrates Health Institute - USA
Carole Dougoud – Institute Haute Vitalite - Switzerland
Kare Engstrom – Dietician - Sweden
Viktoras Kulvinskas – “Grandfather” of the Living Foods Movement - USA
Marie Christine Lhermitte – Chemin du mas Magnuel - France
George Malkmus – Hallelujah Acres - USA
Rhonda Malkmus – Hallelujah Acres - USA
Paul Nison – The Raw Life - USA
Claudine Richard – Naturopath - France
Michael Saiber – Vision - USA
Jameth Sheridan, ND – HealthForce Nutritionals - USA
Diana Store – Raw Superfoods – UK/The Netherlands
Jill Swyers – Living Foods For Health – UK/Portugal
Walter J. Urban, PhD – USA - Costa Rica

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Put down the raw chocolate and stop eating 30 bananas a day. Read This.
Posted by: paulieGB ()
Date: February 01, 2009 02:54PM

Great thread, i like your post,

Could you give us a few days menu's 'examples', it would be real cool smiling smiley

Cheers,
Paulie.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: February 01, 2009 03:10PM

"I’ve been eating according to these guidelines now for over 14 years"

i've been OVEREATING fruit for 25 years !

is 25 more than 14?

do you want to have an arm wrestle to determine the "winner" of the
worlds perfect diet?

Posted by: paulieGB ()
Date: February 01, 2009 03:16PM

you have been fruitarian for 25 years ?
Do you supplement ?

Date: February 01, 2009 03:38PM

Sorry to say dude, Meat eaters would most likely beat both of us in an arm wrestle. Strength alone does not decide what diet is best. However if you have been overeating on fruit from more than 25 years and your doing great my hat goes off to you. You are the first person I ever met who can do this. Most people don't do too well overeating on fruit in the long run.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 01, 2009 03:40PM

could you explain why too much fruit is a problem please?

Date: February 01, 2009 03:46PM

[www.youtube.com]

Cut and paste this link in your browser to get your answer

Date: February 01, 2009 04:01PM

paul,

i'm glad you're doing well.

perhaps you could define what your implication is that dr graham, for example, is not doing well, since you seem to think that (if i am telling the truth) i am the FIRST person you've ever met who can do this. how exactly is he and other failing?

i must also say that you seem to have an illogical viewpoint on many issues, just like brian c does. you seem have very similar thinking. for example when you say a meat eater would beat us in an arm wrestle. meat eating has nothing to do with it.

you also fail to define terms properly. define overeating ! i was using the term facetiously.

finally if some people are doing fine, isn't it Possible that you and the other fruit bashers were doing something wrong? just possible?

Date: February 01, 2009 04:04PM

Well I've listened to that and I don't think it explains anything at all. Don't get me wrong I am not trying to argue with you I just want to hear some convincing evidence.

By the way I don't think it is particularly reassuring to hear someone asked to respond to a book by saying 'Well actually I haven't read it'

I would have thought that someone of Brian clement's stature in the raw food world would have made it his business to have read material by the other big hitters in his field.

I haven't got years of experience as you have and I am willing to listen and learn but so far i have no problems with fruit - I do not eat 30 bananas a day, i doubt i could.

Please give proper evidence for your assertion that too much fruit is a bad thing.

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: February 01, 2009 04:10PM

Of course Paul Nison will say Doug Graham is wrong... how else will he sell his(PN) books?? Follow the money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 04:18PM by brian1cs.

Date: February 01, 2009 04:10PM

Thank you for your reply, I nor Brian are against eating fruit, just against overeating on fruit. What is over eating on fruit? 30 bananas a day! 20 bananas a day? I would suggest more than 3 bananas is more then we should ever need.

It's not just my view and Brian's view.
The following raw food teachers and leaders support this. These are some very well known teaches in the raw food movement. This is not about Paul Nison vs Doug Graham. Doug is a good friend and I think there is no fitness teaching better than him on the planet.

Solveig Almqvist – Secretary of the Enzyme Swedish Living Foods association - Sweden
Tommy Axelsson – Secretary of the Enzyme Swedish Living Foods association - Sweden
Fred Bisci, PhD – USA

Date: February 01, 2009 04:14PM

BTW,
I'm not stating this for the money. Anyone with business sense would realize I would make a good amount of money selling Doug's books and raw chocolate. I don't sell either because I and many others have found it not to be healthy. Some people Keep looking for excuses to continue to overeat on fruit and chocolate. It's a problem in he raw food world.

Date: February 01, 2009 04:20PM

forget about chocolate. we all know chocolate is not food.

you didn't answer my questions.

those live blood analyses are bogus by the way.

and if you had 4000 people that support your view, that would not make it valid either. i can find 4000 experts that say cooked food is fine , Paul.

i just had a similar conversation with a high protein advocate.
i said i know someone who eats only fruit for many years who is in great shape and can do one arm pullups. his response was that the guy was a genetic freak.

UNABLE to question ones assumptions.

Date: February 01, 2009 04:22PM

How can you say this - Doug is a good friend and I think there is no fitness teaching better than him on the planet -

and then say that what he teaches is ' not to be healthy' ?

Date: February 01, 2009 04:29PM

I gave the info to support why overeating on fruit is not wise. That's what was asked for. No need to keep going on and on .... Enjoy a banana but not 30 in one day. Doug teaches to overeat on fruit and that's not healthy. But his fitness routine is excellent. I can't really say it any clearer. Time to move on. You don't have to agree with me I'm just giving you the information for your to consider. Seems to me Brian Clement's facts are valid and he has over 30 years of working at the Hippocrates Health Inst. to prove it.

Date: February 01, 2009 04:45PM

You started the conversation but I suppose without overwhelming support you would want to close it.

Why did you start this debate if you are not willing to discuss?

Date: February 01, 2009 04:55PM

Didn't really want to discuss it to begin with, just posted the article and in the article I wrote

"If you do not agree with my personal beliefs that’s fine, people can have different opinions and some people have to find out for themselves what works and what doesn’t"

I guess I should have not replied to the question of what's wrong with fruit. Okay I want to stop discussing this now. have a banana and a great day.

Date: February 01, 2009 05:06PM

You make definitive statements about what doesn't work, then you say "people have to find out for themselves what works and what doesn’t"

Are you crazy?

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: February 01, 2009 05:10PM

I am just starting to find raw foodists in my area and they have cacao parties and teach others the "bennifits" of cacao. This is disturbing me because there are some people who don't research their diet and will end up haveing a negative opinion about raw foodists. I am glad there are people out there who want to inform others by makeing some sort of guidline. I don't eat 30 bananas a day but there are days I eat to much fruit because it tasts so good and it is convenient however I am searching for that balance for myself and am drinking my wheatgrass and making greener smoothies.

Thanks for the info Paul nisson

Pam

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 01, 2009 05:15PM

Overeating on any food is unhealthy. Overeating on the foods mentioned in the first post will also cause problems.

However, assuming at eating 30 bananas is overeating is based on the author's (PN) lifestyle, not the lifestyle of athletes who may need 3000 to 5000 calories a day to match their energy requirements of their daily exercise regime.

Date: February 01, 2009 05:16PM

Yea, I guess i'm crazy because I think eating eating 15 bananas a day is too much. I'm the crazy one right.

My point is no matter what info is out there some people won't listen so they have to find out for themselves the hard way.

To me it really does seem crazy that someone would want to sit and eat 15 bananas and not think that is overeating. They will even try to defend it.

Date: February 01, 2009 05:25PM

10-15 a day,PN,a day!

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: February 01, 2009 05:35PM

my thoughts are this

even Fred recognizes that some may do well following a hygienic approach especially if they are living in most to all in concordance with its rules. living in pristine environment, eating tree ripened fruits etc...EVEN that there are even people living in exception to some of these tenets simply by pure motivation and attention to ones internal cleansing and detox.

I think what needs to be put across is that there is no diet that will create health per se and that for some thinking/doing this process can actually create alot of disease in the long run, especially if one isn't conscious of how foods interact in the internal environment and insist on cramming down whatever they see as "man's natural diet" whether it is bananas or coco puffs. I personally think Doug is guilty for putting forward an ultra simplistic mindset, that causes folks (like you said even just a few months into the program) to really demonize and judge others and to throw up absolutist arguments. And yes that some of these folks are likely to be in over their head in possibly a few years time or more.

When it comes down to it I know Fred's philosophy is that the body ultimately does not have a whole lot of requirements but rather alot of obstructions, and that ones focus should be about internal cleansing, not about eating x amount of calories or even grasping for x kinds of 'superfoods' (even though he says some can be helpful). I think this is hard to grasp for alot of folks and maybe for people on an intermediate diet that are coming for very poor habits and poor health and overweight it works great. For people that are a few years or so into the raw thing...but not really putting a whole lot of attention towards anything other then 'eating raw' it leaves them feeling like...what the hell? what am I supposed to EAT?

I hope Fred covers this in his book. Because alot of people...especially those inclined towards physical activity. are really looking for some concrete answers, like the ones that Doug provides. and the whole thing is really becoming one big mess.

[www.giveittomeraw.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 05:36PM by anaken.

Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: February 01, 2009 05:52PM

I have ate 30 banannas in a day, sometimes more.
But not every day. and certainly not in one sitting.
I heve ate as many as 12 in one sitting depending on what size they are.
alos Id rather eat 30 banannas in a day than ONE double whopper with cheese
and a large fry with a large coke. Which was my daily diet before fruitarian.
Along with other fast food,candy, and processed foods.
Fruit digests quickly and is full of nutrients.
It takes about 10 banannas to + a horrible meal like the double whopper/cheese and the coke and fries.
ANYTHING RAW tops the SAD diet anyday.
But it is true what Brian said overeating anything is not healthy.
One can learn to not overeat by including a good fasting program
along with your diet.
www.fruitarian.com
www.fruitpages.com
Fruit is the best.
Eating small meals of different varieties of fruit during the day works for me.
This way im not overeating.

Date: February 01, 2009 05:54PM

Great reply. Fred Bisci's books gives the info and also gives a daily eating guide that is excellent. The best I have seen.

Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: February 01, 2009 06:35PM

Hello Paul Nison smiling smiley

I find this post to be very interesting. You seem to know a bit about the scientific research going on in the raw food realm, and I would be very appreciative if you could send me some links, on here or to my private mail, where I could read any scientific articles that the experienced people you've listed have had published in a reasonably respected journal.

I am not in the least being judgemental, offensive or defensive. I too think that eating 30 bananas sounds a bit... bananas. smiling smiley Although I am a "veggie" type, probably because I live so far north, the fruits only taste good in the summer. Even then, though, more than 3 bananas and I feel a headache from the sugar rush.

But if you, or anyone, have any links to some interesting scientific journal aticles, I am very interested to read them! (by scientific, I mean published after being challenged by peers in the field of science and medicine)
As far as what people say on website-stores, the raw books of the month, or raw-food camps, I've simply stopped believing that they have done adequate research for the long-term effects of this diet.

Thank you very much,
xxPeisi

~I've tasted of the fruit,
it's opened up my eyes...~
-Infected Mushroom

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: February 01, 2009 06:42PM

Quote:

Posted by: Paul Nison (IP Logged)
Date: February 01, 2009 09:44AM

From Raw Food Author Paul Nison www.Paulnison.com
• Contains only low to moderate sugar and exclusively from whole food sources (fruitarianism is strongly discouraged)
The following leaders support these principles:
Fred Bisci, PhD – USA
[www.treeoflife.nu]

....the statement, "fruitarianism is strongly discouraged", is troubling to me the way it is presented in parentheses, even though that is how it appears in the original. Why the parentheses?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 06:47PM by loeve.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: February 01, 2009 08:53PM

Over-eating is when we consume food beyond the point of appetite or desire.

If someone eats 15 bananas not because they really want to, but because they think they have to to meet a 'calorie target'/because they've heard others do, etc, that's over-eating.

If someone who has been raw for quite some time genuinely desires and enjoys 15 bananas, that's not over-eating. That's 'listening to the body'.

Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: February 01, 2009 09:01PM

debbie-
with the same logic, you could say that a person who has eaten burgers for quite some time and enjoys 15 burgers isn't overeating. It is listening to the body.

Right?

~I've tasted of the fruit,
it's opened up my eyes...~
-Infected Mushroom

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: February 01, 2009 09:39PM

Peisinoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> debbie-
> with the same logic, you could say that a person
> who has eaten burgers for quite some time and
> enjoys 15 burgers isn't overeating. It is
> listening to the body.
>
> Right?

Not really, because the burgers are stimulating in multiple ways: it's a concentrated "food", it contains adrenaline released by the animal before death, cooking toxins, SALT, spices, etc. The banana "meal" has no stimulants.

If there is ANY stimulution in one's food (even just exogenous salt), one cannot truly listen to the body.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 09:46PM by Omega.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables