Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw food role model
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 11, 2009 02:43PM

Having read the previous post on this subject I thought I would put up this website for you to have a look at.

Dr. Stefania Licari is a medical doctor who lives on fruit and greens - just look at this site and you will not fail to be impressed I am sure.

www.go4extremes.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw food role model
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: February 11, 2009 04:03PM

[www.go4extremes.com]

I did a jog/hike up and down Mt. Washington the morning of a noon party a few years ago at the age of 49 (I'm 52 now), and was kidded whether I RAN up and down it. Haha, well sort of..

Date: February 11, 2009 06:27PM

..200km footrace as a 100% raw vegan

[www.go4extremes.com]

Date: February 11, 2009 07:48PM

she is amazing isn't she. I shall follow her progress with great interest.

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: February 11, 2009 08:02PM

That is AWESOME!!
And FEMALE!! BONUS!!
I have been inspired by Tim Van Orden of the RUN RAW team
But most raw fooders do not know who he is, as he does not travel around the world trying to sell you something...
Another reason I LOVE HIM!!

Posted by: paulieGB ()
Date: February 12, 2009 12:27PM

Here is a nice interveiw with Dr. Stefania Licari

[www.organicathlete.org]

Date: February 12, 2009 01:06PM

paulieGB - thanks SO much for posting that - absolutely brilliant. I am truly inspired and motivated by Stefania.

Posted by: paulieGB ()
Date: February 12, 2009 01:53PM

Your welcome, she looks great, beautiful.

Date: February 12, 2009 02:30PM

Yes, very nice article. So Stefania Licari is a wilderness/adventure runner and
has formed "go4extremes" to spread the message, using her treks as a vehicle to
see the world, meet people, study and write.

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: February 12, 2009 04:22PM

Links to before and afters from Rhio's site.

I was browsing through publications at a HFS and came across The Joy of Living Live by Zakhah. Towards the back the book were a number of examples of successful raw foodists, most I never even heard of as they aren't in the limelight in the raw community.

Wishing you vibrant health

Date: February 12, 2009 04:58PM

..interesting about the "before and after" approach.. Stefania Licari does speak of a rejuvinating effect from her lifestyle, both in her appearance and I believe in her running. Her goal of performing almost superhuman awe inspiring athletic events, recorded in words, pictures and an upcoming 1000 km Moroccan trek with a film crew, further make your point, Pistachio, from the other thread that these public figures have different messages to convey, their personal appearance having varying relevance.

Date: February 13, 2009 02:56PM

Do they still do "walkabouts" in Great Britian? I was indroduced to the term in a CS Lewis novel, where a man set out on holiday for a walk through the countryside, which turned into quite an adventure. I mean, one can't run constantly. There are ascents, decents and times where it gets quite technical.

The term "walkabout" takes on a somewhat different meaning in Australia among the native people. Anyone familiar with walkabouts?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 13, 2009 03:11PM

loeve,

I'm familiar with the Australian Walkabout, which ritually turns an Aboriginal boy into a man. But what does the British Walkabout turn you into? A member of the Green Party? smiling smiley Which CS Lewis novel was it? I think that taking(making?) a Walkabout in today's world might be fraught with danger . . . but I'd love to try.

Date: February 13, 2009 04:44PM

Tamukha
The other day someone linked to the British, Donald Watson [en.wikipedia.org] , founder of the Vegan Society. It mentioned Watson's love of "fell-walking" which I understand as walking cross country from hilltop to hilltop, or whatever the terrain may offer. This reminded me of CS Lewis' novel, Perelandra, as I recall, where the main character set out for a holiday walkabout in the English countryside and somehow wound up on Venus, where he observed fantastic life forms. I read all three in the trilogy a while ago, so the walkabout could also have been from his first in the trilogy, set on Mars.

CS Lewis --
Out of the Silent Planet (1938), set mostly on Mars
Perelandra (1943), set mostly on Venus.
That Hideous Strength (1945), set on Earth.

..speaking of treks

Date: February 13, 2009 04:57PM

Fell walking takes place in the Lake District in Cumbria - north England. It is the most beautiful place - huge hills/mountains with massive deep lakes lying amongst them. In the summer they are very touristy but out of season they are wonderful - of course you can always get away from the masses if you can walk.

The walking can be quite tough - there are various marked routes or if you are competant you can set off with a map and compass and go for miles and miles.

Fell runners are considered a different breed. To be a fell runner you need to be insanely fit, fearless and very motivated. The descents can be lethal - the fell runners take off and you had better not be in their way as they cannot stop. Equally going up the hills is as tough as it gets. A lot of the races are in the winter when the visibility is virtually nil and the weather is atrocious.

You can see that this translates into fabulous long distance walking when the weather is clement and you can enjoy the spectacular scenery.

The term 'walkabout' is not used as such in Britain although i suspect people might use it when they wish to indicate that they are going for a long walk into the hills or whatever and don't know how long they will be.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 15, 2009 01:54AM

She looks great. But she is young, and pretty much all young people are great looking unless they are really abusing themselves.

I like to see the fantastic-looking 50, 60,and 70 year olds, not necessarily 100% raw 100% of the time (mostly is good enough for me), they are the ones who give me hope.

Date: February 15, 2009 11:17AM

Oh yes i completely agree Arugula. I posted about Stefania because of the way she pushes the boundaries in her chosen sport and for me that is inspiring as i like to challenge myself that way too. I am considerably older than her and could never reach her levels of excellence but it gives me such joy to see her doing it. Also she is some one that i can refer to when people are giving me a hard time about my 'ridiculous' diet.

Date: February 15, 2009 03:47PM

loeve,

Thanks for the info on the books. Though I was an English major, and read broadly, I was not aware of this series--shame on me! Since reading "The Screwtape Letters" fairly recently, I've been thinking I should read more Lewis. That sounds like a very successfull walk his protagonist in "Perelandra" had!

loeve and flipperjan,

Thank you so, so much for the info on fell-walking. I am putting this on my to-do list for the next year: go fell-walking in England in the springtime or summer. Sounds like a dream vacation to me!

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: February 15, 2009 08:19PM

Flipperjan - just noticed Stefania's on the 30Bananas forum!

[arawconnection.ning.com]

Date: February 15, 2009 08:34PM

Hi Debbie - yeah that's where i came across her - on the 'Readers group' actually

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: February 16, 2009 01:13AM

WOWZA!!

OK I contacted Stefania Licari and we chatted, I think she was as excited to meet me as I her!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR letting me know about her!!!

YAY!

Date: February 19, 2009 12:31AM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> loeve,
>
> Thanks for the info on the books. Though I was an
> English major, and read broadly, I was not aware
> of this series--shame on me! Since reading "The
> Screwtape Letters" fairly recently, I've been
> thinking I should read more Lewis. That sounds
> like a very successfull walk his protagonist in
> "Perelandra" had!
>
> loeve and flipperjan,
>
> Thank you so, so much for the info on
> fell-walking. I am putting this on my to-do list
> for the next year: go fell-walking in England in
> the springtime or summer. Sounds like a dream
> vacation to me!

Tamukha
I did some checking, and the term 'walkabout' was actually used very early in the first book of Lewis' Space Trilogy, Out of the Silent Planet -- my mistake. It's curious that Lewis borrowed the term 'walkabout', Aboriginal for 'coming of age', the protagonist being an adult. I was just reading that C. S. Lewis was teaching in Oxford at the time of the writing and he liked walking; and also that he may have projected qualities of his good friend, J. R. R. Tolkien, onto this character in the story.

If you liked The Screwtape Letters you might also Lewis' That Hideous Strength, the last in his space trilogy, a tale of good and evil set on earth, written just a few years later, while Lewis was still teaching at Oxford.

Date: February 19, 2009 12:57AM

loeve, thanks for the book advice! I need to get back into some "meaty" reading!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables