Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Tomatoes & cancer.
Posted by: ROIRRAW ()
Date: February 22, 2009 05:50AM

I love eating tomatoes. I feel like good tomatoes are very cleansing for the system but somebody told me yesterday that they had seen a news report where it was claimed that tomatoes could or did cause cancer.I've done some searches but can't find anything.Does anybody know anything else about this story?Can I continue munching in peace?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tomatoes & cancer.
Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: February 22, 2009 06:10AM

Yes, you can continue munching. Fresh, raw tomatoes will not cause cancer.

I have heard of cases of poisoning from canned tomatoes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2009 06:11AM by debbietook.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 22, 2009 06:19AM

I have a poster on my kitchen wall from the American Cancer Society tittled "Cancer - Reduce Your Risk". The poster is a collection of 30 smaller pictures of fresh raw foods but there isn't a single cooked food pictured, not even a big mac ! The tomato is one of the ACS recommended foods pictured on their poster. Enjoy smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2009 06:21AM by EZ rider.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 22, 2009 10:40AM

No, but maybe yes for some very hot peppers, which are in the same food family.

The overwhelming majority of usual fruit/veg items are protective and reduce risks, looks that they are even more protective when they are raw.

There was a recent one on apples, more apples = more protection (6> 3> 2>1) but I think I am going to stop posting about them because of the rats and mice they use.

Bryan has never made an issue of it but I will stick to people and test tube studies from now on.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 22, 2009 03:13PM

Be not afraid, ROIRRAW! Tomatoes carcinogenic--who would suggest such a totally daft thing?! If you can remember where you came across this information, please let us know; it's very puzzling.

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: February 22, 2009 05:50PM

On the contrary, lycopene in tomato is a strong antioxidant, helping fight cancer. Tomatoes are good to prevent prostate cancer for example.

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Posted by: ROIRRAW ()
Date: February 22, 2009 07:12PM

Hey! Thanks for the responses. I couldn't and don't believe it either but I just checked there again.My mum said she heard it on a health news program last week and my brother read it in a health food magazine in a shop(that he didn't buy).I know.I know! Its sounds like a total windup but they're really not that intelligent,lol!!
But seriously,I definately don't think they're making it up but there is nothing about it on the internet that I can find besides this article that I am too tired to comprehend. I think he's talking about market research but using tomatos to talk about it or something...but why did he pluck this topic from the sky...ok. [www.bizcommunity.com]

Anyway,on a slightly different note why do perfectly healthy looking tomatoes get mouldy in my fridge after a few day?Too much fertilizers etc..? Find organic ones?
Anyway,sorry for the ramble.Its been a long day here.Hope it makes sense.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 22, 2009 08:10PM

Find organic ones, dear. At the very least, your fast-mouldering tomatoes are a colossal waste of money.

Curious article, in that Lehan Stemmet demures that his choice of posited argument, "tomatoes cause cancer," is a poor one for the purpose of illustrating subjectivity in research data. Dude, think of something else then!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2009 08:14PM by Tamukha.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables