Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Omega 3
Posted by: cleanjan ()
Date: March 09, 2009 05:04PM

I get bad gas from any soy or flax product, even the oil of flax. So, without those, the alternative is fish oil, but that is not a vegan choice. So, how can I get it? Thanks, Janice

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Omega 3
Posted by: herbalgerbals ()
Date: March 09, 2009 06:36PM

Why not just take the fish oil?

Its about health.. not maintaining an ego of Vegan or Raw.

IF it works for you, and it helps you get your nutrients I Think you should try it..

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 09, 2009 11:51PM

Why don't you try looking for it in the USDA nutrient database?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 09, 2009 11:55PM

Janice,

Walnut oil for Omega-3; evening primrose and borage oil for Omega-6. A diet with enough raw soaked nuts and seeds and leafy greens should give you the correct ratio naturally.

Posted by: rufio ()
Date: March 10, 2009 01:21AM

Is it more about the ratio than the amount? Cause you could just eat more leafy greens and limit your O-6, no?
I eat flax for the O-3. I too got bad gas from flax oil, it's a waste of money anyway. Maybe try to build up your tolerance to flax seed. I stick to just 1 tbl/day.

Posted by: rufio ()
Date: March 10, 2009 01:23AM

There are vegan sources of DHA derived from algae. Expensive though: [www.iherb.com]

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: March 10, 2009 01:26AM

try pumpkin seeds

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2009 01:27AM by WorkoutMan.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 10, 2009 01:45AM

cleanjan,

I am a big fan of lowering omega-6 intake to create a balance of omega 3s & 6s, rather than raising omega-3 intake.

Most non fatty raw foods already have a perfect balance of omega-3 to omega-6. So cut out the overt fats, and you will have balance.

Date: March 10, 2009 03:29AM

Walnuts have an o6yawning smiley3 ratio of about 4 (ideal for the overall diet is 2-4).

An ounce (7 nut contents) will provide 2.6 g omega3. That's enough. provided that the rest of your diet is in the ballpark of that ratio, too. It will be if you are eating mostly f+v but you can tip the balance in the wrong way if you are eating a high fat diet, even if it's all raw.

One of the useful things about flax is that is has so much more o3 than o6 and can be used to correct an otherwise bad balance. That's one reason why so many people use it. But it does give me gas if I try more than 1 tbsp in a meal. I try to use less of it these days.

But Bryan has an important point, it would be better if the rest of our diets already had a good balance. Then you wouldn't need a "contrived" source. Very few of us would naturally gravitate towards flax in our diets. It just doesn't induce the drool factor like other foods do.

Posted by: cleanjan ()
Date: March 10, 2009 05:10AM

Thanks for all your suggestions and info. I do eat walnuts-love them. But, very surprised what Brian said about the non fatty raw foods having the balance of O3to
o6. Also thanks for others sharing the GAS problem- it took a while to figure out. I would thing Avos would have a good balance. Janice

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 10, 2009 10:41AM

I'm not having a go at anyone here...

But I wonder if the 'civilised' apes in the movie 'Planet of the Apes' worried so much about whether they were getting this or that in their diet, or whether they had a food supplement industry rakin' in the cash???

You know what I'm sayin' here right!!!

Date: March 10, 2009 10:45AM

[But I wonder if the 'civilised' apes in the movie 'Planet of the Apes' worried so much about whether they were getting this or that in their diet, or whether they had a food supplement industry rakin' in the cash???

You know what I'm sayin' here right!!!]

It doesn't apply. Almost everything we eat is cultivated, has been for a very long time, and there are lots more of the worse choices available. Even in whole plant foods. Maybe especially among whole plant food sources high in fat.

Date: March 10, 2009 11:26AM

It's a huge subject when we get into what's available now compared with a few thousand years ago.

But I believe it still applies, as eating a mix of organic produce is pretty good, and as long as there is variety, then every nutrient we require is available.

The seed stock may not be like it once was, which I believe does have an effect on overall nutrient content, resistance to diseases and pests.

I agree that a SAD lacks so much of what's beneficial, and gives too much of what's not. Which accounts for our disease ridden society, and the need for supplements that may or may not actually work.

But we, and the medical profession know exactly what's needed...fresh organic fruit and vegies etc.

Oh, did you know that all males need 'Alpha 9' in their diet for optimum performance? winking smiley

Cheers geo

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: March 10, 2009 03:02PM

Bryan - good point! Makes me think I might do a little re-writing re a blog article on Omega 3 written a year ago. One thing more for the 'to do' list - this forum is just TOO fascinating!

Posted by: C. Dove ()
Date: March 12, 2009 12:44PM

CleanJan, The fatty acids in fish are not essential for humans. Bryan's approach is the most sensible approach to this issue. More greens and the elimination of vegetable oils. Balance is the key. However,if you feel like you want to consume more EPA & DHA there are vegan sources.

Posted by: dhsredhead ()
Date: March 27, 2009 04:46AM

Fish oils unfortunately are not a good product for people on a raw food diet. They contain absolutely no omega 6 fatty acids. Both are needed for optimum health. Considering that many raw food eaters are not on the SAD which is high in omega 6 acids (the argument used by the fish oil companies), it is best to consume foods or take supplements with both. Hemp seeds have a really good ratio and are advertised as raw, but unfortunately I haven't found much information backing up this claim. In addition to the things already mentioned, chia seeds may be a positive addition.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: March 27, 2009 02:48PM

Gas is one of the signs of a colon that is cleansing and flax seeds have this texture and the gummyness that scrapes the walls of the colon. This exposes old gunk and then the old gunk tends to cause gas.

Or, it could be something that you are mixing it with when you eat it.

If you just added flax seeds to your diet or increased the amount of flax seeds in your diet, I would guess that you might be cleaning your colon and that the gas would go away after a few weeks when the colon scrapes down a bit.

I never had gas problems with flax giving me gas. But when I went through a period when I craved sugar and chocolate, I would mix dehydrated cane juice with flax seeds and carob so that could get that sugar and chocolate kick without actually eating the bad stuff and I swear my colon got so clean.

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: March 27, 2009 03:01PM

I take O-mega-zen-3... It's a vegan source in a vegan capsule. I'm pregnant and omega 3 is vital for the babies development. This was the only vegan source I could find to ensure I would be getting adequate Omega 3.

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Date: March 27, 2009 03:04PM

Just eat lettuce for omega-3s.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables