Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Rawr!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 11, 2009 12:22AM

Hi,

I'm a fluorescent green grass hoper here. I've been going raw for about 2 and 1/2 weeks now. Once a week I'll eat cooked vegan.
I was expecting a lot of things coming in. Yet I still could not have anticipated how I feel now. I wake up in the morning and my stomach feels sour and acid like. Nothing I do through out the day really seems to improve the condition. My brain feels foggy and I have difficulties laughing. Even smiling. I suppose depression would be the right term. A general blah mood of doom and gloom with low energy.
My intestines seem to have more mood swings then me.. alternating between constipation and diarrhea. Though, the the uncomfortable and embarrassing musical farts are something I can count on.
The worst part is I'm starting to resent the food. Whatever I try to creatively whip up makes is so bad I'm angry to eat it. Most of the recipes I've seen require time and money I don't have.. (really, trust me hear I am not being a cheapo. I don't think there is much out there more worthwhile to spend money on then food. But I can only stretch my bucks so far). Or they require machines I don't have. Fruits and nuts seized to be of interest sometime during the first week. And the planty taste of sprouts makes me want to wash my mouth out with a bar of soap.
Ok, ok, all complaining aside, I truly want to give this a fair try. Any pointers or words of encouragement would be deeply appreciated. If you've got nada I thank you for taking the time to read my ranting tirade.

peace and all good things,
aralc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rawr!
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 11, 2009 02:24PM

Sounds like detox, kiddo. Eat fruits that digest quickly and drink green juices and coconut water and you should be OK soon. Go through the threads on this board for the last few months--you'll see lots of problems just like yours explained and advised to. Good luck!

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: March 11, 2009 03:40PM

If you are doing a lot of recipes then you are probably eating too much nuts, you only need (if you even need them) a small handful a day. More than that would probably mess up anyone's digestion. You don't have to eat sprouts either, many people never do.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a cooked food eater makes a total of 2 gallons of digestive fluids a day from the mouth, stomach ect., while a raw food eater makes less (I've heard that it's only as much as a cup but I don't know for sure). So the digestive system is all geared up for making two gallons of enzymes for enzymeless food and all of a sudden those enzymes are no longer needed. I'm sure the body doesn't make the change to a cup a day of enzymes overnight. There are probably many other examples of the digestive system taking time to adjust it's functions for a new diet.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 11, 2009 03:56PM

greetings aralc ! smiling smiley

sounds like you are frustrated ! frustration and anger mixed with food is not a good thing its no wonder you are feeling poorly digested

find things that you like to eat and keep it simple, perhaps you are rushing into it too quickly for your comfort level.

raw gourmet stuff can be difficult for alot of people to make and usually quite high in fats. not to mention some of the recipies require lots of equipment thats hard to duplicate without.

and if you get the occaisional bad results with a recipe then hop in the tub and slapper the stuff all over yer face an bod and use it as a scrub smiling smiley its one of those times in life where nobody can say dont play with yer food !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: March 11, 2009 05:56PM

Hey I'm new to this too. I've been eating raw for 1 1/2 weeks now. I'm not 100% raw, I eat all raw foods during the day and at dinner I'll eat some cooked food, just way less then before I started this and I have a big salad with dinner too.

Just stick in there and surround yourself with positive energy. Drink lots of water too.

Date: March 11, 2009 11:58PM

Thanks for all of the advice guys!
I probably have been over complicating my diet. I have deffinetley been noticing that most of the salads I make don't taste quite as good as any of the things that comprise them would alone. And I know I've been eating way more than a handful of nuts.
This is a kind of tough time in the year to be living off just fruits/veggies, even in Southern California, where I am from. Any recommendations for what is in season locally now (late winter/early spring)?
And without going to bed hungry, how many hours before sleeping should I stop eating in order not wake up feeling bloated with rotten food in my stomach?

- the grateful grasshopper

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 12, 2009 12:05AM

I really like a simple uncomplicated diet. All of my foods are fresh raw and most of my meals are mono meals. I like grazing with breaks between foods when I change from one food to a different food. Simple raw is beautiful and so simple to do. smiling smiley

Posted by: Kit ()
Date: March 12, 2009 04:18AM

aralc,
Every one of these responses are helpful to me too.

In season now are: citrus, kiwi, avacado
fennel, lettuce, spinach, collards and other greens, my garden peas are just ripening, carrots, cauliflower, (artichokes, don't know if you can eat them raw though), potatoes-I do eat them raw but I think some folks on here advise against it.

Good Luck, Kit

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables