Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
im back and staying
Posted by: volcomchick8797 ()
Date: March 13, 2009 11:22PM

im sure this is a typical story. i used to eat healthy and then got a bf who basically ate only fast food. i kept on wanting him to try some fruits and veggies and then i would try a little of his fast food. here i am now, with an everday struggle. i have begun to love fast food even thought its terrible for me. and its not only that, i eat for like two or three people. i eat till its hard to breathe comfortably and then feel terrible after saying ill never do that again but then the next day i do. i dont know why its so hard for me since im wasting money on terrible "food" and making myself feel worse and gain weight. i dont get it. i feel like im addicted to food. its gotten so bad that i sneak food when it isnt even time for a meal. i dont know why this is so hard for me, when i know its tearing down my health. i dont even go to the gym anymore. i used to go everyday but the weekend and feel terrible if i didnt go and now its a struggle for me to even go. i have gotten overweight and lazy. i need a change. i really want to succeed this time. tomorrow i will beginning my raw food lifestyle change for good. i just wanted to join this site because it seems as if everyone is so encouraging. i also wanted to ask a question...i read articles that say raw food needs nuts and fat for half of the diet and then i hear that nuts and fat need to be in moderation just as any other fat. and are there raw nuts if they are all pasturized. thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: im back and staying
Posted by: joewood ()
Date: March 14, 2009 12:02AM

Hi Volcomchick,

Freedomyou.com has alot of interesting articles on food addictions. I know what you're going thru as I just started 95%raw on 1/1/09. I have only read 2 'raw books', 12 steps to raw foods & live food factor. Both books go into detail about the additives food cos put into their products that make you crave even more of the food even when you know it's not good 4u.

Although I never 'snuck' a meal I do know about filling up on junk to where it gets difficult to breathe. I was diagnosed with asthma 18yrs ago & have always needed to do puffs on my inhaler after these meals especially pizza & cheese based products. Since 1/1 I have only needed my inhaler a couple times & that was after eating.... you guessed it.... pizza. It seems that my asthma is really food allergies.

Please be sure to check out freedomyou. There are alot of free articles & testimonies you can access. They also have a great bulletin board. I pray you'll be healed of all your food issues. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Relax & take your time.

Till Later.......
Joe

Love is patient, love is kind, it is not self-seeking, love ALWAYS protects,always endures. (1corinthians 13)

God IS love!! (1john4)
Jesus Christ...... The ONLY way to Heaven.
I am the Way, the Truth & the Life..(John 14:6)

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 14, 2009 03:06AM

Welcome back to raw volcomchick8797

i also wanted to ask a question...i read articles that say raw food needs nuts and fat for half of the diet and then i hear that nuts and fat need to be in moderation just as any other fat.

I don't eat nuts at all. For my fats I eat avocados and the seeds naturally packaged inside the raw foods that I eat. I wouldn't establish set rules on how much fat to eat or anything else. Instead just tune in to your body signals and you will be right on target with whats right for you -- learn to trust your inner coach and let it be your guide.

Date: March 14, 2009 06:33AM

thanks for replying to my post. i was so glad to hear your feedback. i will definately check out those books you have mentioned. im sure they will help. also, the other website you posted ill check out too. thanks so much. it was so great to see you sign with bible verses =) i love that

its great to hear that your asthma has gotten better with you eating better. i hope that my headaches will go as i eat better too. im sure when i eat better that it will encourage me to drink as much water as my body needs.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 14, 2009 06:45AM

For myself, if I find myself eating when I am not hungry, its usually because there is something going on inside myself that I don't want to feel. This feeling could be anger, boredom, frustration, or it even could be just energy without an emotion attached to it.

The only thing that helps me is to feel what is going on inside of me. Other than than, if I am going to pig out, at least I will pig out on something that isn't going to hurt me, say like a bunch of tangerines.

I shared about this in this post called What will you manifest with your raw energy? .

Date: March 14, 2009 06:53AM

thanks for replying..it makes total sense when you say to eat nuts and fats according to what my body craves. that makes alot of sense. that was a great perspective that i didnt think about.

Date: March 14, 2009 07:00AM

i think my overeating is exactly what you are saying...out of boredom, anger, depression, ect. i have had some issues in the past that have happened with my family that are hard for me to forgive and forget. i should be over them, but im not. i always tell people to look toward the future and look at the happy things,i wonder why i cant do that. guess easier said than done. but i totally agree, i eat to get things off my mind and then i feel worse from what i ate. like what you said, at least on the raw food lifestyle i wont feel bad after i eat too much. thanks for your encouragement =)

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 14, 2009 04:06PM

volcomchick:

<<i always tell people to look toward the future and look at the happy things,i wonder why i cant do that. guess easier said than done>>

I think the best way to do that is to simply acknowledge that you are doing your best right now with what you have (emotionally as well)

after acknowledging this, be gentle with yourself and like david mason always says, take small little baby steps and set daily goals.

whenever you check off the goals that you have accomplished, THANK yourself for doing these things for yourself and this way... it is easy to look toward the future and feel happy if you are continually doing little things for yourself that is going towards reaching your goal

and also....

enjoy the journey

wishing you healing and joy

Date: March 14, 2009 07:44PM

thats a good perspective....just take small steps at a time. thanks, that is great incouragement rather than me setting all these expectations and overwhelming myself.

so far my first day has been great. a fruit filled breakfast and then i made my own salsa to put in lettuce wraps for lunch.

Date: March 15, 2009 07:30AM

i love breaking things down to baby steps
even spending just five minutes towards a specific goal and doing that consistently and daily can be VERY empowering ( this then tends to make me naturally want to increase the time spent on certain goals but i like to start small)

plus its fun to look down at your list and see all the little things you have checked off

and it encourages you to look forward to doing more things to show love towards yourself

smiling smiley

CONGRATS!! on your beautiful fruit filled breakfast
and waaaay to gooooo on making your own salsa for your yummo lettuce wrap lunch

!!!!!!!!

goooo VOLCOM CHIQUE!! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2009 07:31AM by la_veronique.

Date: March 15, 2009 10:19PM

thanks again. yeah, your idea of smaller goals graduating to higher ones is a great start. that way i can be proud of myself rather than disappointed about the whole gigantic goal of mine. then i could look at what i accomplished as apposed to what i failed again at.

oh yeah, the salsa was oober good. just some tomatoes, yellow onion and cilantro. i skipped the jalapeno part since im a wimp. tasty for me though

Date: March 15, 2009 10:39PM

Hi volcomchick,

I have lapses of eating junk (worse one- cola! when stressed at work, I always end up craving cola, and giving into the craving!) and then after feeling sick, I end up vowing to go raw and never eating the bad stuff again. Now, I am trying to wean myself off slowly rather than going 'cold turkey'. I think I saw someone mention on here before that as long as you keep remembering to pick yourself back up again- that's the important thing smiling smiley

I think the small goals idea is a good one too. Even if you only ate a small portion of raw food, you're still eating a lot more raw food than most people!

Date: March 16, 2009 02:44AM

voclomochick:

<<oh yeah, the salsa was oober good. just some tomatoes, yellow onion and cilantro. i skipped the jalapeno part since im a wimp. tasty for me though>>

i saw an ani phyo ( raw vegan chef) youtube video
darn!! don't remember which vid exactly however she was putting in a RED jalapeno in one of her dishes

she said it is less hot than the green jalapeno

i made salsa with the green jalapeno a coupla times and lemme tell u that stuff can BURNnnnnnn!!

Date: March 16, 2009 02:59AM

hey suspendedindefinitely,
i feel the same way. i sometimes get too stressed out or havent eaten all day and then just make justifications as why i can have fast food or something. yeah, small steps is great for me. so far.. eating raw breakfastes is so easy cause i love fruit. lunch and dinner are harder for me because i love my veggies cooked. im going to try to eat a raw breakfast, try for a raw lunch and dinner but if i cook my veggies its so much better for my body as apposed to eating taco bell for two.

its funny, i can tell im changing for good now. i have even bought natural toothpaste, sunscreen and shampoo products. i feel so much better combining my eating efforts with healthy products. every time i use them i feel better. one thing i did try that hasnt really worked is deodorant. i still smell when i use natural. i cant wait till i smell nice and dont have to wear that bad deodorant that is linked to so many things.

Date: March 16, 2009 03:01AM

hello la_veronique,

i never knew they had red jalapenos! thats awesome. ill try to add it to my salsa for a kick but not too much. i heard the real spicyness comes from the seeds themselves. i could be wrong cause that is just hearsay. but i love red bell peppers, i wonder if red jalapenos taste the same. thanks for the info, now i have to try it and get back to you soon

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 19, 2009 06:34AM

Girl, I so feel you right now. I cleaned myself out pretty well last year and then went on an extended roll over the last few months. I do drink beer and wine and I do smoke pot, but I contend that my addiction is food - processed foods. Like you, I found myself sneaking food and eating anything that wasn't nailed down. The more I did it, the more I did it. It was sick.

So, I started the Master Cleanse 2 days ago (I know...maple syrup is off the list but it's an easy way to fast when I work and just allows me to stop what I'm doing and get straight) and will go back to raw foods whenever I'm done with the fast.

This will be my third attempt at the Raw Food Lifestyle. My personal constitution LOVES raw food and I actually enjoy preparing it more than I do cooked foods. The challenge for me is to avoid putting even one bite of bread or meat or cheese in my mouth, because once I do, that's it. I'm toast (pun intended).

So, you are not alone. There are millions of us. The good news is that you and I know what we're doing wrong and there are millions that don't know that there is an answer.

Hang in there! It really helps me to stay focused on how I felt when I was really being healthy, as opposed to beating myself up for slipping backwards.
Keep your eye on the prize, girl!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 19, 2009 08:31AM

petpeevegirl

The challenge for me is to avoid putting even one bite of bread or meat or cheese in my mouth, because once I do, that's it. I'm toast (pun intended).

Thats what I learned also. I acknowledge that cooked food is very addictive for me. Its like a Chinese finger puzzle, easy on and then it "grabs" me and then I have to claw my way back up that cliff I just fell off to get back on my raw journey again. I find it much easier to avoid that first bite. I find that the thought of an addiction food is very momentary and that If I distract myself for just a minute the thought looses its grip on me and is gone. Good luck.

Date: March 20, 2009 05:22AM

hello petpeevegirl,

you are so right, its a food trap we let ourselves fall into. its funny, i never thought that i would have an addiction with anything and who would have known i would have had one with food. its crazy. and just when i start this raw food journey, my bf says we will be having pizza to celebrate his getting into the army reserves (only a celebration for him- i dont want him doing it at all). but anyways, i told him that i would celebrate him getting in but dont want pizza. guess what he says to me...oh dont worry, you'll crack and have pizza with me. i really have no cravings for pizza, i guess since im so determined or something, and dont want to eat pizza and get off this journey again only after a couple of days. i want to get to the point where i think of raw meals first instead of what i cant have.

what are you fasting with other than maple syrup. i have never fasted and think it would be good for me to try. are you willing to share your secret and fasting ideas. i have tried fasting before going on the raw food diet and make it till late in the evening and then i just start to munch and say ill do it tomorrow. another problem of mine attempting to fast before raw is that i would drink only water during the day and then be like "oh, im hungry and i can eat whatever i want since i havent eatin anything all day. i was wondering if you would share what you are doing that way i could try something. thanks and good luck

Date: March 20, 2009 05:26AM

hey EZ rider

i totally agree, just avoiding first bite is best. im so glad im transitioning to raw because when i was eating the SAD, i would eat out of boredom, taste, addiction. i would love it if i could come out of this struggle being a 100% raw foodist that eats for survival rather than an addictive behavior and taste. that is my ultimate goal. but anyways, it seems like i forget what things taste like when i dont constantly eat them. when you forget what things taste like, you crave them less and less. this is good for me. but yeah, avoid the first bite for me is major because i never eat only one bite. good luck and thanks for the post

Date: March 21, 2009 07:47AM

<<my bf says we will be having pizza to celebrate his getting into the army reserves (only a celebration for him- i dont want him doing it at all). but anyways, i told him that i would celebrate him getting in but dont want pizza. guess what he says to me...oh dont worry, you'll crack and have pizza with me.>>

just tell him " YOU BET!!!" and make this RAWESOME raw vegan pizza and let him drool over it while he eats the gross greasy junk. he'll feel curious, envious and then HE will "crack" and move the junkie ersatz greaspie out of the way and make way for the REAL DEAL!!

here is a video for raw vegan pizza by elaina love (its a youtube video)

Part 1:

<[www.youtube.com];

Part 2 a and b:

<[www.youtube.com];

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2009 07:48AM by la_veronique.

Date: March 21, 2009 07:49AM

darn, i couldn't get part 1 to work but don't worry, part 2 works and you can then easily type in her name and raw vegan pizza and get to part 1. sorry about that. computers are weird.

Date: March 21, 2009 08:12AM

hey great idea,

when ever i make raw meals, he always says they look good but will never try them. so instead of just a salad, a raw pizza is a great idea. thanks. this will really show him that im determined to go on the right path and enjoying myself at the same time. it would be so awesome if he would start eating raw with me but i dont see that happening anytime soon. at least i got him eating less meat...yay! i switched him from regular bleach spaghetti noodles to whole wheat and eating other whole wheat items. its funny how its so much easier to tell him to eat healthier than me taking my own advice. i mean when i eat raw food- i love it and feel great after but i think the addictive part of other foods still calls my name.

i once heard that over a two week period time a habit can be broken. im hoping for my eating habits to be lessoned after two weeks. it does seem like my cravings have lessoned once i started eating raw and kinda forget the taste. i remember foods i know i like but the actual memory of taste is fading. whoohoo =) cant wait till eating raw is something that is simple for me.

thanks for the links to the video clips. im going to watch them once im done typing this.

thanks la_veronique

Date: March 21, 2009 08:39AM

hey la_veronique,

i have mainly been eating mono means just because im trying to eat what is simplest but i do have to say that this raw pizza looks amazing. oh my goodness, even after eating my dinner, i want a raw pizza just because it looks so colorful and tasty. thanks for sharing...he will def be jealous and maybe even try some. cross your fingers that he will. thanks again, great video

Date: March 23, 2009 08:30AM

yeah.. it really does look impressive

sorry about the part 1 thing not coming up... the computer (internet) just seems to have blipped it to just another random site

if u can succeed in getting part 1 to post, go for it

i like how she reminds the audience that the different colors are indicative of differing phytonutrients thus to vary the color

i guess however there is a flip side to that

i do think that mono meals are alright as well

a lot of people in the past on this site have experimented with it and have gotten good results

cuz less interference with different enzyme types etc.

i think its true what your friend says about it taking 2 weeks to forming a new habit

that is 24 hours times 14 days which is 336 hours

which is 20,0160 minutes

which is : 1,209,600 seconds

LOLsmiling smiley

just having fun

it does help to get the blood and constitution enamored to the higher vibrations

in that way, it wants it more

i understand about the emotional cravings etc.

not to ignore that but in order to respect that those exist

its easier for the body to be "armed" with high vibrations

in order to stand in the light of dark cravings

Date: March 26, 2009 04:49AM

thanks la_veronique,

its no problem about the first video, it reminds me of reading the last pages of a book to see how it ends up. i saw the second video and saw how they ended up and made me drool lol. ill see if i could get the video working, the only thing is that i have no idea how to post it if it did work. im not computer savy whatsoever. i know micro word, how to check my aol, and basic things like that. ill ask my bf and maybe he could help.

yeah, you know what is funny, the more raw i eat the less hungry i am for emotional callings. its so great!!!! instead of wanting to eat for taste and emotion, i feel more content. i think this is going to be a great journey.

one thing i am craving for some odd reason is soda. i had my wisdom teeth out in dec and couldnt drink soda after that because the carbination hurt my throat. its so weird, but i really want some even though i know it hurts to drink.

i had a fastfood day unfortunately and went to three drive thrus. what is wrong with me??? i went to mc donalds, taco bell and starbucks!!! i felt so terrible doing it, knowing i was wasting money and filling my body with pure toxic edible items.

im not doing that again!!! today i went to trader joes and spent 102$ on raw groceries. the only thing raw i didnt get was orange juice because it is pasturized. i grabbed so many diff fruits and veggies. i found white green beans, which i never knew there were. they look delicious. im so determined to eat all of these foods i just bought. im so mad at myself for eating fastfood and especially when it wasnt vegan. i just cant wait till i have no more cravings.

now i have to start my two weeks over.

Date: March 26, 2009 05:54AM

u don't need to start over

just continue on
u did your best and you're excited about your crazy adventure!

cool that u got all that yummy fruits and veggies at trader's
u can make your own oj just using that plastic squeezee thing ( cheap to get those contraptions)

oh you don't have to post the first part of the raw pizza online
its all good

just peruse all the items on your own

i also like ani phyo's videos

and i went to the store and saw a book by corbet? or something like that or maybe it was corbeen? shoots i forgot the name... but its called

something like EAsy RAw for 1 or 2 people

hey, someone help me out with the title

it looked good though but i was too lazy to get it cuz ... well, i just seem to be comfy with making salads and munching on fruits

i thinnk it was jennnifer corbeen corbeet?

anyhow, looked like the recipes were simple and doable

i like that

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 26, 2009 06:12PM

la_veronique,

Raw Food Made Easy for 1 Or 2 People, by Jennifer Cornbleet. I like it because there's enough variety without a lot of fuss.

Date: March 26, 2009 10:38PM

thanks guys. ill check out that book. i love variety as well and am so busy so it will be great to have quick yummy meals. thanks guys, for the title of the great book. i have some recipe books, but i love ones that i already have are time consuming but still super yummy. it will be nice to make some great recipies so i can try other than alot of mono meals

thanks guys.

ill have to try some of those recipies so i can get more colorful foods in my diet

Date: March 31, 2009 11:31AM

hey tamukha

i didn't gloss over the whole book cuz i was in a hurry at the store

i'm looking for a book that doesn't have any dehydrator stuff

and is easy to make in a few minutes

what are your fave recipes? or... what did u make and like so far?

u don't have to post the recipes due to coypright issues etc. but u can just say what u made

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 31, 2009 04:23PM

la_veronique,

I haven't made many of the recipes, because truth be told, my local health food store proprietor would like to start offering more house-made raw dishes, and I lent her the book to get some ideas going. I thought it would encourage her because the recipes are so fast to put together and not equipment-heavy, so they're ideal for a small-scale business with a limited raw clientele. The stuff isn't complicated, but Cornbleet has some novel approaches to recipes. For example, I don't miss the flavor of tuna as I cannot even recall it, but dulse and kelp powder mixed with ground sunflower seeds is an interesting non-fishy concoction for lettuce wraps or tomato stuffing. The salad recipes are interesting paired up with her dressings; the Moroccan Carrot slaw[I don't recall the exact name] is wonderful, as is the kale with olives and tomatoes. I've made her tomato sauce, which is the best I've tried of raw tomato sauces, and chocolate desserts. The recipes are easy to improvise on, which you can't do with some of the more, um, haute, raw cookbooks; her piecrust makes great macaroon type cookies and her tropical pie filling would make great ice cream. I'm good at coming up with recipes, with my culinary background, but it's nice to have practical applications for things like, say, marinated shaved beets--I've only ever juiced beets!
I do recommend the book.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables