Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Brushing teeth.
Posted by: ROIRRAW ()
Date: March 19, 2009 06:11AM

This has caused me some concern with my switch to raw food. I like to munch my way through the day where possible and never know how often to brush.I thought brushing after apples and oranges was a must but this study seems to think differently.

[www.express.co.uk]

Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brushing teeth.
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 19, 2009 01:22PM

The problem with constantly munching is that it creates an acidic environment in your mouth, which can lead to cavities etc. Best to eat 'proper meals' (whatever they are lol) at regular intervals. Always rinse your mouth out with water after eating, esp fruit (or maybe water with a little sea salt in or natural mouthwash). Don't brush until at least 1 hour after eating (again, due to the acidity temporarily softening the enamel).

Well, that's what i hear, anyway smiling smiley

www.uncleharrys.com has some great natural teeth products, inc tooth powder and mouthwash, or if you're in the UK try perfectprescription.com (or maybe google if this is the wrong address).

Also try googling for that guy who wrote 'good teeth, birth to death' or something like that, can't remember his name, but he has awesome info if you can find him.

:-D

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 19, 2009 01:34PM

a ha! Just remembered, Gerard Judd, that's the dude!

[reactor-core.org]

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 19, 2009 01:38PM

I like to brush with a little Baking Soda
after drinking Wheatgrass Juice, or Carrot Juice, but
feel only a rinse is necessary after Celery Juice, or
a Green Smoothie.
The Best Thing you'll ever do for your Teeth and Gums
is to use Pascalite Clay in your mouth after a rinse or
brushing....WY

Posted by: ROIRRAW ()
Date: March 19, 2009 05:20PM

Some cool suggestions there I think. When I have a big beaming smile and I'm 302 , I will remember ye!!!!lol. Seriously though,gracias.

Posted by: ruby ()
Date: March 20, 2009 12:53PM

My dentist is a raw foodist, and she recommends water pick. OMG, what a difference! I floss after EVERY meal (more important than brushing), and water pick before going to bed. Even thou I took a great care of my teeth since I was a kid (it's an obsession of minesmiling smiley, I see and feel the difference since I added WP. As far as brushing goes, I think the best combo is some salt with baking soda, or baking soda alone, but have to admit that I'm a big fan of Tom's of Maine gel. Love that minty flavor.

HAPPY VERNAL EQUINOX EVERYBODY.

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: March 20, 2009 05:48PM

I add a "ditto" to what Ruby is saying. Flossing is SUPER important, or using a toothpick if you're more inclined to do that. Melaluca has some great no-animal testing toothpaste.

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Posted by: volcomchick8797 ()
Date: March 20, 2009 11:49PM

i have never heard of a water pick before reading this post. im kinda bummed because when i got my wisdom teeth pulled in dec i had bought a rotadent toothbrush and thought that was the best. now i want to buy a water pick

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 21, 2009 05:56AM

I have a Waterpik [www.waterpik.com] and use it to clean debris from my teeth. I like to put a small amount of hydrogen Peroxide in it to disinfect my mouth at the same time its pickin. I get the HP in a 3% solution at the corner drugstore.

Posted by: Ebhak ()
Date: March 21, 2009 06:25AM

I am interested in changing my dental routine... I've heard blotting brushes are good.

I wouldn't use any toothpaste with sodium lauryth sulfate, or glycerin, check out your toms of maine, it may have glycerine. also, avoid sodium fluoride, by all means, and really any other synthetical chemical, or herbal extract(drug), etc. some clays have heavy metals.

brushing isn't exactly natural same with flossing....we might of done something though....rinsing after meals is good, some say citrus, even ripe, will instantly break down tooth enamel due to straight up chemistry.

quick thoughts

oh and angie, off topic but

every time I read your sig, I think to myself "Keep Grandma away from Joseph! or vice versa, unless you make it clear not to feed him poison" but hey that's just like, my opinion, man.

Date: March 22, 2009 11:17AM

Hi ROIRRAW.

When I last went to the dentist, the hygenist recommended drinking lots of water before brushing (after eating/drinking acidic foods/drinks). Brushing apparently aggravates the situation. (like lisa m said^)

If you're worried, maybe you could start the day with a greens-based breakfast, brush your teeth, then eat your apples/oranges as a mid-morning snack at work (followed by lots of water).

Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: March 24, 2009 05:00PM

that gerald judd reccomends brushing with any bar soap.
does this make sense to you?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 24, 2009 07:24PM

Hello - Just wanted to add something...years ago I worked in an Herb Market & got a recipe for tooth powder...I have been making it about 12 years & my dentist remarked how tight my gums were & all looked well...he even asked for the recipe & wrote it down...it takes a bit getting use to as it contains myrrh powder as one of the ingredients, but it leaves your mouth very clean feeling. I don't leave home without it!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 29, 2009 03:17PM

LindaLou,

Would you please share your homemade toothpowder recipe with us?

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: March 30, 2009 03:32AM

EZ rider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a Waterpik
> [www.waterpik.com] and
> use it to clean debris from my teeth. I like to
> put a small amount of hydrogen Peroxide in it to
> disinfect my mouth at the same time its pickin. I
> get the HP in a 3% solution at the corner
> drugstore.

Do you dilute the hydrogen peroxide? Becaue at that concentration I managed to bleach my taste buds off.

Posted by: violeta ()
Date: March 30, 2009 09:34PM

mrdc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> that gerald judd reccomends brushing with any bar
> soap.
> does this make sense to you?

Yes, it's called washing your mouth out with soap. Somebodies mother invented it.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: March 31, 2009 12:33AM

(Ha! That's funny violeta!)

I'm a big water pik fan too. (Wow Ruby, you have a raw food dentist?!!!!)

Even though I used to floss every day, the water pik is different because it seems to really strengthen the gums as well as remove food particles.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 31, 2009 12:45AM

VeganLife

Do you dilute the hydrogen peroxide?

Yes, I use a small amount of HP to a Waterpik tank full of warm water. However I have increased the ratio to as much as 50/50 (50% of the 3% strength HP and 50% water) when I have a mouth sore.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables