Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

rethinking 100&
Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: April 06, 2009 01:47AM

I've been 100% raw since Dec 20th.
I had been cooked vegan 15 years B4
High raw with cooked grain binges for 3 years.
A trip to Ann Wigmore cured my addiction to grains!!

I have experienced no weight loss, no euphoric feelings of energy. (I have always been a high energy person.

I am fasting right now, day 5..on juice. Not sure how long I will go as I am just doing it by feeling. I aim to go long, but who knows!

I am seriously considering adding steamed yams/broccoli and other veggies for dinner. Also considering adding cooked beans - chick peas/lentils/kidney beans.
Prolly sprout them then steam them!

I am not sick.
I am extremely active.

umm..any thoughts

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rethinking 100&
Posted by: herbalgerbals ()
Date: April 06, 2009 03:17AM

Do What feels right, eat for health. Cant really stress that enough. If you feel better and function best and are happy that way, then you should follow it. =] Ill still love ya either way!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 06, 2009 03:19AM

if you are not happy at 100% than do what makes you happy smiling smiley not sure what exactly your question is ? are you looking for permission not to be 100% or looking for permission to eat cooked food? smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: April 06, 2009 03:22AM

It looks great to me. But some people here will tell you that it is 100% or nothing, that if you have even a fraction of a calorie of nonraw food in your diet the benefits will be null and void. Or minimal. Or you will not experience true nirvana. Or you are a poser or a wannbe. Or not worthy of sharing your opinion on this forum. Or something like that. Or all of the above, or some of the above.

I have never experienced euphoria from food. But I feel worse when I don't get at least most of my calories from raw fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds, that is absolutely true for me personally. Most. Not all. A lot of people have trouble with all.

I hate the all or nothing paradigm for degree of cookedness. Nothing I've read convinces me that there is any truth to it.

Posted by: herbalgerbals ()
Date: April 06, 2009 03:48AM

Hey I agree with you.. I feel that way too.Some people are elitist, and they feel better about themselves that way ya know?

Just do whats right for you, and dont worry about those people.. they will do more harm then anything.

Im very open that I include cooked food, millet, quinoa, steamed sweat potatoe, etc.

Dont do this just to be able to use the raw label you know? that would be unfair to yourself. =]

You will definitly still benefit, I dont believe its all or nothing, if it was that way, then I would still be drastically sick. And Im not =]

Find your personal happy medium. You will know what it is. who cares if you cant call yourself raw, vegan, veggie etc. Dont get cought up in trends or labels, I think thats the best way!
Much love. :]

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 06, 2009 04:15AM

I agree with the previous posters. You have to do what works for you. If you need support to eat more raw foods though, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: April 06, 2009 04:58AM

Although I choose to be 100% raw myself, I always say increase your raw only to that percentage (roughly) to which you feel comfortable, otherwise the whole thing can backfire.

Only leave certain cooked foods behind when you are truly happy to do so, otherwise raw will seem a negative rather than a positive thing.

A high-raw diet is light years healthier than the average diet, and most of the movers and shakers in the raw world are not in fact 100% raw.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 06, 2009 06:42AM

rawrnr

my immediate thought was - how about that caffeine pill? Did you find that the extra energy that it gave you for your long run resulted in more of a crash afterwards? Do you think you add in other things that might not seem very signifigant but perhaps are?

I know you train very hard and being a teacher probably work long hours - are you getting plenty of calories? Have you had a look at Brendan Brazier - he's a great endurance athlete? Just my thoughts as i read your post.

Wishing you all the best
Philippa

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 06, 2009 02:19PM

I like being 100% or 99%, but whatever works for you!! It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. Go by how you feel.

Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: April 07, 2009 04:37AM

i found 80-90 raw works best for me.
people here have been great, no problems there.
i still go 100% at times, like right now, i'm finishing
a 30 day 100% raw session. i also usually cleanse every weekend,
eating only fruit.
do what works for you in order to enjoy a balanced life.
peace.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 07, 2009 05:22AM

I think the ratio of % raw/% cooked will effect the results a person gets from raw as well as how a person does raw.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: April 07, 2009 07:56PM

rawrnr,

great posts above - do what feels right for YOU.
One of my favorite books is 'Eat To Live' by Fuhrman. One thing that struck me about his work is that he is, albeit he is very low fat, advocating to eat 1 oz of nuts/seeds, else fatloss can come to a halt (one needs some fat to lose fat).

I have not eaten any overt fats at all for a while and my blood work showed that I can barely make my own hormones, so I am adding a little back in. Fuhrman is also big on pulses, and on loads of greens, 2 pounds a day, 1 steamed, one raw. Seems very healthy to me.

I am also on a juice feast right now. Day 2. Aiming for the 92 days.

Best wishes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables