Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Zinc deficiency and white spots and ridges in the fingernails
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 16, 2009 10:19PM

Greetings, I read a book called "Zinc and other Micro-Nutrients" by Carl Pfeiffer M.D.. In his book, zinc deficiency is linked to ridges, and white spots in the nails. Zinc rich foods include garlic, onions, and pumpkin seeds. White sugar and Coffee use causes problems with the absorption of the trace mineral Zinc.
I have found that if you had fevers as a child the banding in your fingernails might not go away. Brewers yeast, the original vegan protein food is rich in zinc, all B vitamins and it is a complete protein. It is also inexpensive, be cautious as some brands taste better than others.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Zinc deficiency and white spots and ridges in the fingernails
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 16, 2009 10:54PM

I think you mean nutritional yeast, which is not raw.

And further, I find the best source or original vegan source of protein to be fruits and vegetables, just as herbivores eat.

I find that sprouts are a good source of zinc for me, and of course they are a living food and very healthy.

Posted by: m ()
Date: April 17, 2009 05:03AM

best plant source = pumpkin seeds.

it's hard to get enough minerals from fruits and veggies alone since our soil has become demineralized from mass agriculture. we're not living in the same evironment as our ancestors did. As Utopian Life said, we can get plenty of protein from fruits and veggies alone! smiling smiley mmmmmmm....love sprouts too!

greens and nuts/seeds are more mineral rich (depending on the soil they are grown in)....fruit, with the exception of figs which are high in calicium, has low mineral content.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2009 05:10AM by m.

Posted by: rawpreston ()
Date: April 18, 2009 12:07AM

Hemp seeds have roughly the same amount of zinc as pumpkin seeds I believe, and also have a fair bit of vitamin E and some omega3. Fairly high in protein, being also a complete protein source (contain all essential amino acids). They are somewhat of a superfood in my opinion. I'm gonna start buying them in bulk I think, I've seen a price of $50 for 5lbs online (vs like $1/oz at the HFS). Best to freeze most of it, I think. (I know hempseed oil has a tendency to go bad somewhat fast even refrigerated.)

I've had white spots under my fingernails for my whole life and since going raw 4months ago I've noticed them going away I believe. Zinc does seem the hardest to get though, well aside from the B12. I bought a zinc supplement on a whim, but it's 50mg which I found out is a bit high, they're capsules, I think I'm gonna split them open and divide them in 2 and take one once in a while.

Posted by: Manolie ()
Date: April 18, 2009 07:04PM

Wheat germ, lima beans, legumes, nuts, these are all good sources of the 20mg of zinc normally needed daily. Colds, flu, sore throats? You may want to supplement with a zinc lozenge or two (stay below 150 mg per day,) but the lozenges appear to put such a concentration of zinc in the throat that not much else can thrive there. Of course, for fever, strep, etc., consult your health practitioner promptly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables