Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Transitioning while nursing (??)
Posted by: Annana ()
Date: April 26, 2009 06:29PM

Hi,
I'm new here. I'm not a native speaker, so pardon my maybe sometimes strange language use.. (-;
Our son is 18 weeks old now. I've eaten raw in 2008, for a few months. I stopped eating raw for various reasons when I was pregnant.
Now since about a month I'm augmenting 'the uncook factor' in my diet: A lot of salads, fruit salad for breakfast, green juices, superfoods like maca and cacao, no more bread. I was feeling so tired and depressed, and I remembered those few raw months last year as very positive: more energy, a clear mind, positive spirit etc. And I really start to feel better now.
Now, I'd like to go for 100%, but what about the baby?? I'm a nursing mama and I don't want to intoxicate my baby with my detox.
Also I want to be sure that my intake of vitamins and minerals etc. is enough, also for our baby. I've read Evie's Kitchen. The information about supplements is interesting, but to purchase all those things will cost me a fortune. You really seem to have to be a millionaire to be able to do everything pure and perfect.
So maybe there are some parents around who have had experience with this issue??
Thanks (-:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Transitioning while nursing (??)
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 27, 2009 11:22AM

A slow transition should not cause a massive detox. Just slowly increase your intake of fresh fruits and vegetables....and I'm sure you and yours will do fine.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: April 27, 2009 06:41PM

Now I eat mostly raw during the day, and a big salad with a (vegan, organic) cooked meal for dinner. I already lost 6 kilos in about a month, while this is not my aim. I would like to augment the raw, but wouldn't want too much weight loss. I just want to have the pefect diet, for my little boy and me, but maybe I want too much, because I wouldn't be able to afford all the nice superfoods and supplements that I think of.
But money shouldn't be an issue in this thing I think. It's all about coming back to yourself, being more of who I really am, so I shouldn't think in limitations but in possibilities. Still this money-thing keeps disturbing me when I think about raw food.

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 05, 2009 09:16PM

The money thing is hard when you're trying to nourish your body and anothers. I found raw foods amazing for breastmilk though, especially fruits and greens. as long as you take your time and your body isn't fighting you with harsh detox, you won't be detoxing a lot into your breastmilk.

it wasn't hard for me to be 100% raw for the first three months or four months after giving birth, but i dropped back down to pre-pregnancy weight in that time, and then found to maintain energy and weight i needed calorie dense foods as well as lots of raw. so seed balls with dried fruit, and smoothies, and lots and lots of coconuts were key to get me through the summers. my son is 3 now and eats every vegetable and fruit offered to him (except grapefruit, but i don't share those anyways) and my daughter is 1 and just started eating solids, and loves berries and apples and bananas and other easy to eat foods.

it is expensive, but if i had to pay my medical bills honestly- i'd be saving a fortune compared to my other friends. no ear infections, no any infections, short and very bearable (as much as a feverish child is ever bearable) illnesses that required no medication. no medication for fevers, teething, or anything. there should be some sort of exchange- i spend a fortune feeding my family, but when strep throat, the flu, colds, or anything else is going around, i'm the one mom who isn't terrified of illness. healthy kids really make life easier and save money all around.

peace-

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 05, 2009 10:13PM

Here here Mama Cass.

we are compromising our diet because of money. I can't afford to do all organic, for example. There are six of us and we eat a lot of food. One of the cheapest things is bananas. We eat 40 or more pounds a week. We buy them by the box.

It sounds like you are already eating very healthy. You are on the right path. Eat the best you can, and can afford.

Mama cass is right on, healthy kids are priceless.

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: May 06, 2009 08:45PM

Good post Mama Cass - that is encouraging.

Annana - I am nursing a 5 mo. old and he is doing real good with my transition to raw food. I eat one pretty heavy cooked meal a day (not vegan), and two vegan raw meals a day. Right now I am really enjoying young coconuts and nuts (I don't soak them),dates, watermellon blended into a drink, and a salad w/grapes and sprouts and spinach.

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Date: May 10, 2009 07:14PM

Thanks for your inspiring posts.
We were already eating organic food (and are used to spending all our money on it!!). And I'm convinced that it's worth it, for our health and for the planet. There is so little we really need, but good and pure food is a priority.
I will try to let go of the idea that I need all the superfoods though.
It seems that the longer I'm eating raw, the better I can listen to my body. I'm less scared to do something wrong, my body knows and it (=me!) is feeling better and better. And our little boy is doing so well on it, always happy and smiling.
The next step will be the change to solids for our baby in a few months, just like angie 1 I quess? Are your children all raw, mama cass?
I'm jealous with you that you can find coconuts so easily. Here in Holland they are hard to get (except in the big cities).

Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: May 10, 2009 11:53PM

The only thing you mention that would concern me from what others have said is the cacao. It might be a stimulant to your child? Somethng to think about anyway. I'm happy you are taking positive health steps for you and your baby!

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Date: May 11, 2009 02:53PM

Is raw cacao bad for the baby?
What about Shazzie and Evie?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 11, 2009 04:45PM

this was from the article linked below , i guess you have tomake your own decisions .. i dont think chocolate in small amounts is a big deal but i dont think its one of the healthiest things out there [www.living-foods.com]

The chemicals within chocolate are called methylxanthines. They can be further classified as theobromine, caffeine, and theophylline, all of which have deleterious effects on the body. Theobromine is known to cause a host of symptoms including abnormal glandular growth, nervousness, depression, anxiety, insomnia, gastrointestinal problems, and itching. Caffeine is highly suspected of being a carcinogen, and is directly linked to heart and circulatory problems, glandular difficulties, nervous disorders, osteoporosis, birthing abnormalities, and so forth. Theophylline causes stomach problems, nausea, vomiting, and nervous disorders.

The processing of cacao beans into powder and chocolate is an unsanitary, risky procedure to say the least. To be blunt-chocolate and cacao are laced with animal feces and hair, insects, and molds. The carcinogenic mold called aflatoxin has been found in large quantities on cacao beans.

Allowable limits have been set by the FDA regarding rodent feces and insect parts in chocolate and cocoa! As quoted from Poison With a Capital C, every time you eat a chocolate bar, it may contain a rodent hair and 16 insect parts and still carry the blessing of the FDA., and For chocolate powder or cakes there must not be more than 75 insect fragments in three tablespoons of powder., and Four percent of cacao beans may be infested by insects. Animal excreta (such as visible rat droppings) must not exceed 10 milligrams per pound.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: May 12, 2009 06:57PM

This sounds really scary (and disgusting!). How comes that all the 'raw food gurus' promote cacao? They seem to do serious research (eg. David Wolfe).
What about other superfoods, like maca, purple corn, mesquite etc. ?

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: May 14, 2009 05:04AM

Hi Annana

Go to www.rawfoodexplained.com (Natural Hygiene). I think Lessons 55-59 will be very helpful.

Date: May 16, 2009 06:41PM

Thanks again!
I wonder, are there more raw nursing mamas out there?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables