Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fishy smelling bananas/ Panama Wilt
Posted by: satori108 ()
Date: May 14, 2009 03:04PM

Lately, I been eating a lot of bananas. About a bunch a day, because they are so convinient. But I notice that the peels are fishy smelling. I shrugged it off because the insides were fine. I thought maybe since the markets sell a lot of fish that maybe the fish workers handled the bananas or it had something to do with the bananas being in plastic bags. The brands are usually bonita, occasionally chiquita.

I googled fishy smelling banana and came up with Panama wilt or Fusarium oxysporum which is a plant fungus.

The inside smells and tastes fine, but if I smell the peels or my hands after eating one it stinks. I think maybe eating these bananas maybe harmful. I can't really find any information about harm from consumption of the bananas. I figure that an alternative is to go for organic or local, but I don't really have that much $ to throw down for groceris.

Has anyone else experienced this? Might there be another cause for the smell?

I also found this article about Panama Wilt and how it was used to eradicate Coca crops in Columbia. Sneaky and devastating because now it's backfiring. The chickens are coming home to roost because we get so much of our produce from other countries.

[www.geocities.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fishy smelling bananas/ Panama Wilt
Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: May 20, 2009 06:54AM

I've never noticed a fishy smell on bananas. Not that I remember anyway. I don't know if rinsing your bananas before eating them will do any good but I suppose it wouldn't hurt.

I always wash fruit because I don't know where it's all been before I get it. I see other people peeling bananas then holding the flesh with their fingers. I wouldn't do that unless I washed it.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Date: May 20, 2009 02:58PM

Actually, I haven't eaten any more bananas I couldn't smell before I purchased them.
I figure smelly banans can't be good for me. I've been eating apple bananas lately. They are small bananas that originate from Kenya and Brazil. They taste like a cross between apples and bananas. Crazy!

Date: May 20, 2009 08:44PM

When my dad buys cellophane-wrapped bananas (instead of loose), opening the wrapping gives off a smelly-feet smell!

Sometimes it's off putting and I'll use the banana in a smoothie instead of by itself. I haven't had any ill effects, but you're right, it is a bit strange.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 21, 2009 08:23AM

hiya satori

that doesn't sound right to me

and if u say the fishy smell is linked to a fungus or mold

well.... better be safe than sorry

umm... maybe you could get your bananas at another store

the little apple banana thing u are eating sounds yummy though

r they called applebananas?

i like the little red bananas

they taste like candy to me

and they smell GREAT!

i wouldn't eat a fruit if it smelled like fish

the only fruit i will eat that has a weird smell

is durians

but durians are notorious for their scent

and they are so delicious

though i rarely get to eat them

( i had them only twice )

the last time i had the fortunacy to eat them was at a raw vegan party

and it was FABULOUS!!

Date: May 21, 2009 02:22PM

The apple bananas go by that name I think. As far as what I saw on the internet. The sticker on them says apple. I figured maybe they were mis-labeled until I ate them and did a google search.

As for durian- you can find them at most asian markets. They are a pain to open! I scraped myself doing so. I find that I can find packaged frozen durian pods and they don't smell as bad. Before, I had to hold the durian away from me as I chewed so I wouldn't get the smell to cross over to my taste buds. It's like eating yummy ice cream or creamy popsicles.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 21, 2009 06:59PM

yeah durians are truly deelish

had someone help me out whom i considered the EXPERT durian unfolder

who was able to psychically and seamlessly feel her way towards the invisible fissures ... sort of a durian plate tectonics geologist (LOLsmiling smiley

and cleaved them in the places so that they unfolded

everyone dug in at the party

hung out

the durian was like the prize centerpiece

everything else kinda paled

then again

if u rarely get a chance to have something that intriguing

i guess it isn't hard to NOT make a big deal out of it

LOLsmiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 24, 2009 08:44PM

As fruits naturally ripen, they release ethelyne gas. However, certain grocery stores/companies expose bananas to ethelyne gas purposely when picked prior to tree ripening..Guess due to the high demand of produce need, but i believe this can cause fungi to germinate spores. Even organic, out of the country produce can be exposed to radiation for "safety" reasons. It is what it is, but this is why we need to advocate for community supported argiculture. Strength through roots argiculture!
Love n light
Leslie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables