Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Essie Honiball: promoted a fruit and nut diet
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: June 04, 2009 08:32PM

Has anyone read Essie Honiball's book, "I Live on Fruit and Nothing Else"?

It's available from "AntiQbook".

Essie Honiball was born in 1924. Her diet included fruits and a small amount of nuts and seeds. After following this diet for 12 years, her physical condition was checked, and she was found to be perfectly healthy. Professor B.J. Meyer wrote a book about her diet, called "Fruit for Thought".

[www.Stellenboschwriters.com]

"The Fruitarian Foundation" considers nuts and seeds to be a fruit, which is (arguably) consistent with the botanical definition of fruit ("Not all seeds come from fruits... Although a nut is a type of fruit, it is also a popular term for edible seeds...Technically, cereal grain is a fruit called a caryopsis. However, the fruit wall is very thin and fused to the seed coat so almost all the edible grain is actually a seed. Therefore cereal grains, such as corn, wheat, rice are better considered edible seeds, although some references list them as fruits." [Wikipedia]).

The "Fruitarian Foundation" advocates a raw, whole foods diet (unlike "The New Earth" fruitarians who advocate all kinds of weird cooked stuff, like muffins and canned baked beans).

Here's the Fruitarian Foundation website page that defines fruitariansm: [www.fruitarian.com].

This may not be the optimal diet for everybody, but I'm wondering if it may be the optimal diet for me, since I seem to be greens-sensitive.

I personally don't believe that a fruitarian diet that does not include nuts or seeds is suitable for me.

The only essential nutrient I could find (besides B12) that might not be readily available in a fruit and nuts/seed diet would be iodine (available in seaweed). Or is there something else?

I was happy when I found someone in the raw food history who followed such a diet, apparently successfully!

Does anyone know if Essie Honiball is still alive? And/or does anyone have any recent information about Essie Honiball?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2009 08:46PM by suncloud.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Essie Honiball: promoted a fruit and nut diet
Posted by: jericho sunfire ()
Date: June 04, 2009 09:16PM

Yeah, thats a pretty old book.

If I remember right she went back to cooked foods or inclded cookdfoods back into her diet, I could be wrong.

In my opinion if we can live so many years on cooked food, there isno reason why we cannot live on fruits.

JS

JERICHO SUNFIRE-BASIC TRAINING
www.jerichosunfire.com

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: June 04, 2009 09:27PM

I know you, Suncloud; you've got good hunches and you're really honest with yourself. If you feel like you thrive on fruit with some nuts and seeds, you're probably right on. :-) Go for it! (Never mind what anyone else may think is 'right.'

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: June 04, 2009 09:27PM

Thank you jericho sunfire! smiling smiley

I wonder what Essie Honiball is eating now, and how is her health? She'd be 85.

Date: June 04, 2009 09:32PM

Thanks so much Kwan! Your vote of confidence in me is very encouraging. smiling smiley

Love your new pictures!

Date: June 04, 2009 09:50PM

Yeah, I knew but Ive forgotton what she eneded up doing, I think she quit due to social reasons, I know some thing happened like her husband died or something to send her over the edge and back to cooked food....again I could be way off. Either way she proved it could be done and I know for a fact that it can be done so as Kwan said do your own thing and stay open to change.

Be good

JS

www.jerichosunfire.com

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: June 04, 2009 11:25PM

I have often wondered why you are sensitive to greens. I have heard of a few other people being sensitive to them also. Do you know why? It seems like all animals need them. Even my dogs eat seek them out in the wild and eat them. If something doesn't agree with you I guess that means it isn't healthy for you.

I hope you find answers to your questions abut Essie. Good Luck!

Date: June 05, 2009 12:10AM

Hi pakd4fun. Thanks for your concern and support!

I've often wondered that myself.

I can think of several circumstances in my past that may have compromised my digestive system. It's OK though, because under different circumstances, who knows if I'd ever been a raw foodist?

I can still eat greens without a problem - though not everyday - if I fast twice a week. I'll probably go back to that if this new thing doesn't work out for me smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2009 12:11AM by suncloud.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: June 05, 2009 10:02AM

I seem to remember reading somewhere that her teeth all fell out and she had to get false ones. Not that I'm saying it was because of her diet or anything, it's just the only thing I can remember about her smiling smiley

Date: June 05, 2009 01:48PM

Yeah, if you go back and forth from raw to cooked on a regular basis you will have teeth issues.

JS

www.jerichosunfire.com

Date: June 05, 2009 02:00PM

Why would you have teeth issues from going back and forth from raw to cooked? That doesn't make any since.

I think if you don't get proper nutrition and/or don't clean your teeth properly, you will get teeth issues.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 05, 2009 02:20PM

I think eating gobs of fructose without employing proper dental hygiene will give you tooth problems.

Date: June 05, 2009 04:15PM

pakd4fun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why would you have teeth issues from going back
> and forth from raw to cooked? That doesn't make
> any since.
>
> I think if you don't get proper nutrition and/or
> don't clean your teeth properly, you will get
> teeth issues.

Because you will swell yourself up when you eat cooked for a length of time and when you go raw again and as the swelling goes back down your teeth will shift and move places, this is one of the over looked reasons why a lot of people get aching teeth when they go raw.

JS

www.jerichosunfire.com

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: June 05, 2009 04:24PM

I've read her book, it's an easy read and not that long. You can pick it up rather cheaply still. She tends to be very vague on her diet I thought, if you are looking for exact details. It's more of a recollection of her healing and how a fruit based diet was a major factor. One of the better reads of fruit books in my opinion. Recently I was told she is still alive.

I was extremely green sensitive and did not touch them for a year to get past it. It was tough going against the greens everywhere mindset of everyone else but I had no choice actually. Since then I can take them if I would eat them. I'd say try it and see how it goes. I would make sure your body is green sensitive and it's not your mind telling you. If that makes sense, I feel you are on the right track.

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: June 05, 2009 06:03PM

I have this book and she is still alive.

Her husband died of a head injury after a fall years before she even wrote the book and she had been following a fruit diet for many years at that point. Her husband had followed a fruit diet for many many years before her, that is how she was introduced to it.

In the book she does mention an episode where she binged on potatoes and could not stop and her tongue turned blue and made her sick. I trust the information in the book, she doesn't appear to be trying to impress anyone, but recording her experiences with fruit.

I do not know whether she still follows the fruit and nut diet now though, but she did for many many years.

I resonate with the greens thing, I did loads of green juices for years and smoothies and now I feel I can't stomach them but I sometimes include them even though I can no longer stomach them because I think I need the minerals, mind stuff again...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2009 06:08PM by Ariel55.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: June 05, 2009 06:07PM

tanawana Wrote:

> I've read her book, it's an easy read and not that
> long. You can pick it up rather cheaply still. She
> tends to be very vague on her diet I thought, if
> you are looking for exact details.Yes, I agree.
I remember reading her Book many years ago. I ended it wondering
what specific Foods she did eat. I don't believe it was Healthy Raw. You
must include Greens, and eliminate the Nuts for that. Agreed?....WY

Date: June 05, 2009 11:53PM

Tanawana, thanks for your input and suggestions! smiling smiley I'm sorry to hear that you've had this same sensitivity; but at the same time, it's comforting to find that someone else is like me! Also, it's good to know that you're doing better now with greens.

I do notice that when I go for a while without greens, I feel better when I eat them. I also read that after Essie did her fruit thing for a long time, she was able to eat a lot of the foods that she wasn't able to eat before.

In researching the nutrients, I wasn't able to find anything - except iodine (and B12) - that couldn't be sufficiently obtained from a fruit and nut diet. Even chlorophyll can be found in green fruits like avocado, kiwi, and cucumber.

I've decided to try including some seaweed - hopefully enough for the iodine but not too much for the sensitivity.

Wheatgrass Yogi, maybe there are no "musts" that absolutely always apply to absolutely everyone! smiling smiley

I agree that it's possible - and even probable - that a "Healthy Raw" diet "must" include greens (from vegetables?). Given my own present circumstances, I'm not really sure. And I believe each of us is somewhat different. Whatever, seaweed is a green (very green), and I'll try including that.

I definitely do not agree that a person "must... eliminate the Nuts" to be "Healthy Raw". Every wild herbivorous/omnivorous land-based mammal that I'm aware of - including wild primates - eats nuts and/or seeds. Even grazing mammals eat the seeds of low-growing grasses and other plants. All the longest-living human communities include moderate amounts of some form of nuts or seeds in their regular diets. Whether those long-lived communities would be healthier without nuts or seeds is unknown and unproven.

A raw vegan diet that eliminated nuts completely would be just as experimental as a raw vegan diet that eliminated greens completely. We don't currently have numerous healthy and verifiable long-term examples of either.

Science and various dietary research supports the reduction (not exclusion) of dietary fats (specifically from animal products and vegetable oils), while at the same time also supporting the inclusion of nuts and seeds in the diet. Even Doug Graham advocates eating 1 ounce of nuts (or the equivalent in fats) a day.

It seems to me that it's most likely that any raw vegan diet that completely eliminates an entire category of edible raw food is best followed on a temporary - rather than long-term - basis. But that's just speculation, based on my own personal experience, so far.

I tend to think that one very important criteria for a healthy raw food diet is how well it can be comfortably and successfully maintained over the long term. If a person is unable to maintain a raw food diet without nuts and seeds, it's not a healthy raw diet for that person.

Until we have a greater understanding from a more complete record of healthy raw food vegans, nothing is really for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2009 12:05AM by suncloud.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: June 06, 2009 07:34AM

Suncloud, absolutely agree with you on nuts and seeds.

Date: June 06, 2009 05:42PM

suncloud Wrote:
> In researching the nutrients, I wasn't able to
> find anything - except iodine (and B12) - that
> couldn't be sufficiently obtained from a fruit and
> nut diet. Even chlorophyll can be found in green
> fruits like avocado, kiwi, and cucumber.

One of my initial mistakes was using this mindset.
It's all very clear to me now ofcourse looking back.
But if you are truly experiencing a health issue due to a certain food or food type I really say just let it go and trust, till you can go back.

You said though, if you go without greens than eat them you feel better, I question what is the issue with greens then?? Maybe you just need to eat them more sparingly and in smaller amounts is all and don't give in to the more is better thinking.

Far as greens at all in a diet it depends how you truly define it. Others say tomato, cucumber, etc are greens and I know of no Frutairian out there who doesn't at least include foods like this to some extent, even though they don't eat leafy greens and they are doing just fine.

-----> I learned in the end that any type of food taken in is taxing on the digestion and system and the key, in my opinion, is find the least taxing, most nourishing with just enough to sustain day by day. When I got to this point, it all become just clear to me :O)

Date: June 06, 2009 07:33PM

tanawana Wrote:

> One of my initial mistakes was using this
> mindset.
> It's all very clear to me now ofcourse looking
> back.
> But if you are truly experiencing a health issue
> due to a certain food or food type I really say
> just let it go and trust, till you can go back.

Hi tanawana. Thanks so much for your input! I wasn't sure what you meant. Do you mean that you think I should consider letting the seaweed go too for awhile, along with the other greens?

> You said though, if you go without greens than eat
> them you feel better, I question what is the issue
> with greens then?? Maybe you just need to eat them
> more sparingly and in smaller amounts is all and
> don't give in to the more is better thinking.

I guess when I said "better", I'm using the term relatively. "Better", as in "not as bad". I find that water fasting twice a week is effective, and I don't have a problem with greens when I do that (as long as I don't eat them 2 days in a row). But it's hard to keep up so much fasting, especially when I'm very busy.

Without the fasting, I don't really know how long I'd have to go without greens for them to feel good, or how small a portion I would have to eat. Maybe leaving them out completely for a while will help me find out.

Of course you're different from me, but how long do you usually go between eating greens - on average? Also what do you have when you eat them and how much, and how do they make you feel?

I'm thinking that the next time I have greens, it will be the wild plantain that grows all over the place here. I'll wait to eat it until it really looks like something I want to eat, and then I'll just have one leaf and see how it is.

Or I'll eat just a little bit of fresh wild seaweed that my husband brings home from diving. But I really don't want any green right now at all.

> Far as greens at all in a diet it depends how you
> truly define it. Others say tomato, cucumber, etc
> are greens and I know of no Frutairian out there
> who doesn't at least include foods like this to
> some extent, even though they don't eat leafy
> greens and they are doing just fine.

Definitely, I do consider tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados, etc. to be fruits. They feel like fruits when I eat them.

> -----> I learned in the end that any type of food
> taken in is taxing on the digestion and system and
> the key, in my opinion, is find the least taxing,
> most nourishing with just enough to sustain day by
> day. When I got to this point, it all become just
> clear to me :O)

Very good lesson tanawana! I absolutely love food and sometimes overeat. Eating raw has been a saving grace for me, but I need to take a few more steps!

Thanks!

Date: June 06, 2009 08:04PM

Ariel55 Wrote:
> I resonate with the greens thing, I did loads of
> green juices for years and smoothies and now I
> feel I can't stomach them but I sometimes include
> them even though I can no longer stomach them
> because I think I need the minerals, mind stuff
> again...

Hi Ariel55,

Thanks for your input!

Hope you don't mind my asking, but what did you mean when you said you can no longer stomach the greens? Did you mean they make you feel sick when you eat them? In what way? And were you referring to eating greens in general or specifically to juicing/blending them? (Please just ignore me if you think I'm being too inquisitive!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2009 08:11PM by suncloud.

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: June 07, 2009 06:16AM

suncloud, they make me feel a little sick sometimes, juicing and blending makes this worse, eating a few green leaves whole makes me less queasy. I didn't used to have this problem so assume my body is rejecting them, because there is a nutrient in there I don't need. It could be something else causing it so don't take what I say too literally.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2009 06:25AM by Ariel55.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: June 07, 2009 03:17PM

Suncloud,
Just curious-- what happens with the greens that you can't deal with? Do you feel sick to your stomach, or does your digestive system act up in some way?

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: June 07, 2009 03:43PM

Suncloud I can't tell you what to do, but can only tell you what I did.

I was at a point that greens, among other choices such as melon, oranges for example I could not eat without discomfort. I exhausted medical and non-medical doctors, guru consultations, etc. with all of them unable to help. I was in a serious state and felt 100% raw was a last hope at living a normal life, if possible. It took a while though before it sunk in what I actually had to do as well as actually doing it, which was not follow other's raw food eating plans or suggestions. I forged my own more or less.

First off I had to completely ignore what everyone says is good and what everyone says you need or you must have in your diet and find what worked best for me as best I could. There was no total relief, but I had to lessen it at least.

What I did was take the foods I couldn't take and simply, under no circumstance eat them. What was the alternative, suffer an unlivable existence as I was?? I had been raw for years before so I had a good raw knowledge to help. In addition, I didn't expect relief with a few weeks or even months. And actually it took a few years to get to daily normal functioning. Even know I am extremely aware and watchful of what I do.

One good thing out of it all for me is I always thought I was well educated with food choices, but nowhere near what I know now and the level and insight I've come too.

I suggest one simple thing - if it cause discomfort do not do it and don't expect quick fixes as well as remain consistant as you can.

Date: June 08, 2009 04:13AM

Thanks Areil for answering my questions. I think your assumption may very possibly be correct. But yes, it's difficult to know these things for sure!

Kwan, Hi! Curiously, my greens symptoms are about the same as my cooked food symptoms (except cooked food is even worse!):

-Swollen eyes, sometimes almost swollen shut - especially in the morning, and worse for every day that I eat greens without a break.
-dry and itchy skin, especially on my upper arms (but I can feel it all over). My arms get so bad that I scratch in my sleep and break the skin, even with applying aloe vera or calendula or a moisturizer before bed and during the night.
-sheer and utter exhaustion
-loss of muscle tone
-some stomach pain, but usually not much. No nausea.
-bleeding when I @#$%&

I have none of these symptoms when I don't eat greens. Probably sounds weird to most people. But there it is.

Tanawana, thank you for all of your insight and advice. Makes sense to me! And I know just what you mean about eating a certain way because you have to, and that's that! I'm going to be positive about it, enjoy my fruits and nuts/seeds and be happy and thankful that I know about RAW. I feel fortunate too that so far there's no fruit I can't eat.

Especially thank you for your last "simple thing".

Sounds like a plan! smiling smiley

If anyone hears anything recent about Essie Honiball, please let me know! Thanks people! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2009 04:16AM by suncloud.

Date: June 08, 2009 07:57PM

Suncloud,

Your symptoms shocked me.

I was wondering what happens if you never eat greens? How long have you gone without eating them and how did you feel then?

Date: June 09, 2009 01:04AM

pakd4fun Wrote:

> I was wondering what happens if you never eat
> greens? How long have you gone without eating
> them and how did you feel then?

Hi pakd! smiling smiley

I go without greens fairly often, but usually only for a few days. I think the longest I've gone without greens is 3 weeks, and I'm about at that point now - or probably past it.

I always feel better and have more energy without the greens. The longer I go without them, the better I feel. The one time I did a full marathon (I walked it), was after a couple of weeks without greens (just fruits and nuts).

I look a lot better too. My cheeks are rosy without the greens. My wrinkles seem to go into remission, my skin gets glowy, and my smile kind of just hangs around on my face. smiling smiley

I almost never eat greens when I'm traveling or have company or during any circumstances that require me to be at my best. I'm more confident, and have a more positive, energetic, and naturally caring (for others) attitude without the greens.

I don't feel spacey without the greens as long as I have the nuts and/or seeds. I can eat fruit-only during the morning, but if I try to do fruit-only all day, I start feeling weird.

I do start to crave greens though after going for awhile without them. This time around, I've been through one phase like that already, but it only lasted a day. I really don't know if it means I'm supposed to have greens or not. I'll try to get all my vitamins and minerals (from the fruits/nuts/seed), so I'll know I'm not depriving myself of anything essential.

The only negative thing that's happened to me without greens is that sometimes my vertigo has acted up. I've had vertigo since I was 12. It's much better though now, so I'll see how it is as time goes by.

I'm already feeling very good. Liberated, you might say. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2009 01:12AM by suncloud.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 09, 2009 01:38AM

suncloud,

How about sprouts ? What effect do they have ?

Date: June 09, 2009 02:48AM

Hi EZ,

Thanks for your question. smiling smiley

I think the green leafy sprouts do the same as other greens, but I don't really know for sure, because I usually eat them with other greens. Something for me to think about and experiment with down the road.

Same with sprouted grains. When I eat them (the little, nongreen sprout attached to the grain), it's usually during a greens day, so I don't really know how they affect me alone.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that soaked (overnight) sunflower/sesame seeds were a little painful in my stomach and caused some gas, so I stopped soaking them. I don't know if that was a one-time thing, or if it was from combining with fruits (which I usually do) or what. I'm eating the unsoaked seeds these days - during the same meal with fruit - and they feel fine.

Wheat grass juice is not good at all. It feels like immediate exhaustion spreading through my face and into my brain. Oh No!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 09, 2009 03:11AM

suncloud,

First of all, if it doesn't feel good to eat greens, then don't eat them until it does feel good.

What greens are you eating and how do you prepare them? What dressings if any are you using?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables