Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Ann Wigmore's Degrees
Posted by: KFCA ()
Date: January 03, 2015 02:35AM

I have a copy of Wigmore's first book "Why Suffer", copyright 1964. I don't know what later editions say, but her claims on her Doctor of Divinity Degrees are all from the College of Divine Metaphysics, Indianapolis, Indiana, as follows:

June 3, 1959-D.D. Doctor of Divinity

June 25, 1959-Ps.D Doctor of Psychology

July 22, 1959-Ms.D Doctor of Metaphysics

Three Doctorate Degrees in less than two months.

This College actually still exists, but only as a correspondence school (In Indianapolis, they used to have a building so they say) situate in Glendale, CA. There only seems to currently be a two-member faculty. To get a doctorate there doesn't seem overwhelmingly difficult---but then I'm not a Dr.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ann Wigmore's Degrees
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 03, 2015 03:13AM

Here's the Rising Sun Church of Christ she says she went to. That's where she said she was (according to her Dr. Flora presented autobiography) when she discovered the article her husband had published in their hometown newspaper saying, to her horror, that Ann had abandoned their daughter. Ann said that was not true but went on to live where her daughter wasn't, as I recall.

[www.risingsunchurch.org]

And the churches values areeee ...

"We Value...

Truth over trend

Authenticity over performance

Relationship over results

Excellence over perfection

Relevance over tradition

Creativity over complacency

Christ above all else"

Date: January 03, 2015 03:45AM

Looking at her 1964 "Why Suffer" book (I always like to go to the earliest source before "The Story" changes, gets padded, whatever), but I see there's no mention there of her husband writing an article in their local paper about child abandonment nor of him sitting at the kitchen table with a gun as there are in later editions of "Ann's Life Story". Maybe she waited to write this likely hoakey stuff until he was safely dead (1969) so he couldn't sue her for libel. Her only reference to Mr. Wigmore getting custody of Wilma in their divorce in this earliest book was that he had the funds to send her to college.

Date: January 03, 2015 04:12AM

Hmm. Why so many manufactured dramatic sob stories? Did she mainly live off of donations from those who hoped would take pity on her or something, the way modern ambitious wannabe raw food gurus slyly do? That could have been a big part of her motive for all the lies. Something seems to have worked. She was living very high on the hog.

I can't figure out the motive for her telling her own lawyer that she was a widow instead of telling him the truth that she was divorced. If her former husband was dead anyway what could that be about? It doesn't smell right.

So much for her churchly values I guess.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 03, 2015 04:33AM

I tend to think that most of the raw gurus, past or present, are charlatans. Particularly if they are selling something.

Not everyone agrees.

But Rick Dina and his wife impress me.

I also like Dr. Fuhrman, (just don't buy any of his expensive stuff) but he is not insisting on 100% raw or 100% vegan, for that matter.

You can get your books from the library unless you are totally in love with them and want to own them.

Date: January 03, 2015 04:42AM

Oddly, on Wigmore's Boston Death Certificate, her daughter, Wilma, as "Informant" as to personal matters, gives the same answer in the Married/Never Married/Widowed/Divorced (Question 12) space as "Widowed", although Everett Wigmore's newspaper obituary of October 8, 1969 in The Quincy Patriot" clearly states Mrs. Viola (Holmes) Wigmore as surviving wife, but I have no current idea how long they were married. The 1964 Why Worry book mentions no details about the Ann/Everett divorce itself so I can't even swear it happened.

Date: January 03, 2015 05:08AM

So much crazy infests the hhi story from beginning to end, does it not?

I wonder why she went out of her way to say, in the Dr. Flora version of her saga, that her husband paid his lawyer $1000? That was a kind of weird jarring inclusion it seemed to me when I read it - similar to that jarring first sentence someone tacked onto your Estes bio.

Maybe the whole darn bunch of them were all blackmailing each other. Lots of secret dealings, that's for sure.

Date: January 03, 2015 06:04PM

Yeah, I was kinda wondering why that $1,000 attorney's fee language was just thrown in there for no really apparent reason also.

BTW, if you were the poster who wonder how Ann's "golden" locks morphed into black hair, well her 1964 Why Worry book, at page 92, gives her a totally different hair color, such as

"I could not believe what I heard. When he repeated the announcement, I began to cry and asked that I be taken to the doctor that issued that order. Even if I had lice, which I did not, I knew how easily we had rid ourselves of them in Europe. The idea of cutting off my long CHESTNUT [my emphasis]tresses, which reached far below my waist, was unthinkable...."

Isn't Chestnut a dark, slightly reddish brown, color? At least that was the color of chestnuts on my old neighborhood tree.

Date: January 03, 2015 08:00PM

KFCA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, I was kinda wondering why that $1,000
> attorney's fee language was just thrown in there
> for no really apparent reason also.
>
> BTW, if you were the poster who wonder how Ann's
> "golden" locks morphed into black hair, well her
> 1964 Why Worry book, at page 92, gives her a
> totally different hair color, such as
>
> "I could not believe what I heard. When he
> repeated the announcement, I began to cry and
> asked that I be taken to the doctor that issued
> that order. Even if I had lice, which I did not,
> I knew how easily we had rid ourselves of them in
> Europe. The idea of cutting off my long CHESTNUT
> tresses, which reached far below my waist, was
> unthinkable...."
>
> Isn't Chestnut a dark, slightly reddish brown,
> color? At least that was the color of chestnuts on
> my old neighborhood tree.

Oh brother. This is a classical chestnut color...

[images.search.yahoo.com]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 03, 2015 08:09PM

And? You can go to any doctor's office in America and they will have the most advanced training in America (doctorate level) and yet still not understand the origin of dis-ease. They will lop off breasts to "prevent cancer" (one shudders at the genius doc who decides to prevent brain cancer with that mindset), or poision people to "health" by destroying their immune system via chemo. So these are the people we should trust with our lives?

Too many people are in love with authority figures because they don't know who they are and are followers and not their own leader.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: January 03, 2015 08:23PM

I agree with bananawho in that regard, it's not about the degree, it's about true knowledge and content of character. Too many people mistake degrees for significant knowledge without understanding the source of their knowledge. For example, the vast majority of information learned in medical school is funded by the pharmaceutical industry. Why is this important to know? Because the pharmaceutical industry has a vested interest in selling drugs, not curing disease or the health/well-being of the population. So basically, a large percentage of their acquired knowledge in medical school is worthless. It's not based on preventing, treating, or curing disease, it's based on increasing profits for a large corporation. Sadly, lots of people place their faith in people with these degrees and end up not making it because they weren't told about the importance of nutrition and detoxification. They were told that toxic drugs were their best option or that their genes doomed them to disease.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2015 08:24PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: January 03, 2015 09:06PM

I have decided not to comment anymore on this ongoing debate about Ann Wigmore and Brian Clement and any other health teacher, because there is a reason why people feel wounded or misled. I used to want to stand up for them, but then I realized that I am in a whole different world with Chinese medicine, and my own vegan mentor was a pathologist.

I still feel that everyone should come from the heart and give others the benefit of the doubt first. I have heard of people's hair color changing. I heard but didn't see personally how some people's hair got darker with Chinese herbs, when their original color came back (after being grey). Also Robert Morse ND witnessed a woman's color getting darker and then lighter (all after healing from white hair). I don't want to spread untrue rumors but I read a few case histories. For me, why I believe Ann Wigmore's color changed was because people could see some white hairs still in her hair. Some people have accused Lou COrona of dying his hair, but no way. I have seen some of his white hairs in the back. His hair is all black,except a few white hairs. That is his real color. He also has lovely skin that beams.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 03, 2015 09:11PM

there is a theory that explains why there are different opinions

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: January 03, 2015 09:14PM

Chronic Liar

"Their lies don't depend on situations or events; they are liars for no reason whatsoever.

Even if it isn't a complete lie, they exaggerate the truth and make a different story altogether.

They can't remember their own lies as every time, a new lie takes shape for the same incident.

There may be discrepancies in their lies as they can't keep track on what they said to whom.

These liars don't really care to tell the truth or understand its importance.
If their lies are being contradicted, they become verbally defensive and will not admit to the truth.

Such individuals make up lies to gain sympathy and attention from people around them.

Their lies are constructed so that they can show the other person that their stories are happier or more pitiful than theirs."

[www.buzzle.com]

Compulsive Liar

Some of the symptoms...

"Anything and Everything

Compulsive liars lie about any and everything, even the seemingly insignificant facts in the bigger scheme of things like what they had for food or the cola they prefer.

Attention Seekers

There are certain people who need to be the center of attention wherever they go. In order to maintain their high popularity rate, they begin to build attention-seeking white lies. These lies soon become a part of their personalities.

Create Stories

They need to feel validated and superior than others and in order to achieve that, they weave stories of their valor and great deeds. They make up such great stories about themselves, that they lose their charm once the cat is out of the bag. For example, someone claims to have fought a bloody fight with a goon at the local bar, when actually he is known to get scared or has even fainted at the sight of blood.

Covering Up

When a compulsive liar gets caught in his web of lies, he will cook up another story of how he is falsely accused or will deny it totally with another story to back up his claim of innocence and cover up the lies. Another interesting symptom is that these people tend to become nervous when they have to speak the truth.

Same Story, Different Characters

In order to maintain their 'grandiose life' in the eyes of others, they have to adopt plagiarism as an integral part of their behavior. While telling one lie after the other, they may not realize that they have told the same lie to the same person, more than once. Each time he tells the same lie, the basic concept remains the same, only the characters, place, date of occurrence, etc. may change."

[www.buzzle.com]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 03, 2015 09:40PM

It's like with Brian Clement. Honestly, I only know of him because of stuff on here. I don't know exactly what his philosophy is--hopefully compatible with Wigmore's. In any case, those who use that unfortunate experience with the girl as proof of his incompetence, do not understand that it could have occurred to ANYONE. How many licensed docs face the same situation? The mistake was stating that for sure he could heal her. Better to underplay it always. And 100% fasting right off the bat? Seems pretty risky for the average person with all the onslaught of meds (I think she had been on chemo before).

Date: January 03, 2015 11:41PM

SueZ: You asked me a couple weeks ago about the authenticity of Ann Wigmore's personal gangrene & colon cancer stories. I told you what I found out about the former from digitized issues of the Middleboro Gazette on horse & wagon accidents during her approximately 7-year stay there, and though there were many variations of such accidents reported happening to local residents as she claimed happened to her, nobody named Ann Warapicki was ever reported involved in such. So I'd have to say, Pure Horsepucky.

Now as to the Colon Cancer event. I see that some health sites have it at Stage 4 when she cured herself. I don't know what Ann Wigmore's writings on this subject say in later years, but her 1964 "Why Suffer" book has no mention of her having cancer at all at any place in her body, so certainly no need to cure it. At that point, she would have been 55 years old. At what age did this allegedly happen?

Date: January 04, 2015 01:18AM

KFCA Wrote:

>
> Now as to the Colon Cancer event. I see that some
> health sites have it at Stage 4 when she cured
> herself. I don't know what Ann Wigmore's writings
> on this subject say in later years, but her 1964
> "Why Suffer" book has no mention of her having
> cancer at all at any place in her body, so
> certainly no need to cure it. At that point, she
> would have been 55 years old. At what age did
> this allegedly happen?

According to the Ann Wigmore Natural Health Institute in Puerto Rico ...

"When, at age 50, she learned she had colon cancer, she turned to raw greens, blended seeds, and grains. Within a year, she was cancer-free."

[www.annwigmore.org]

According to HHI - also around 50.

"A decade or so after Dr. Nolfi had reversed her cancer, Ann, in poor health and suffering from colon cancer, began to incorporate the lessons she recalled learning as a child in Lithuania from her grandmother, the village doctor, who treated wounded soldiers with herbs during World War I. Using weeds and wheatgrass, she also healed her body and reversed the cancer."

[hippocratesinst.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2015 01:28AM by SueZ.

Date: January 04, 2015 01:38AM

Well that's certainly odd.

She was born in 1909, so that means she would have been age 50 in 1959. But 3 or 4 years later she writes a book about her life, but doesn't mention anything about curing her cancer? No wonder I have grave doubts about the truthfulness of this particular lady.

Date: January 04, 2015 01:46AM

KFCA Wrote:
> Well that's certainly odd.
>
> She was born in 1909, so that means she would have
> been age 50 in 1959. But 3 or 4 years later she
> writes a book about her life, but doesn't mention
> anything about curing her cancer? No wonder I have
> grave doubts about the truthfulness of this
> particular lady.

I wonder which category fits more - Chronic Liar or Compulsive Liar - but not too much.

I just noticed this at the HHI link I just posted ...

"Together, Brian and Ann traveled throughout Europe, hoping to seed the idea of raw foods as a cure-all for a disease-free lifestyle" ...

Didn't Brian tell the interviewing reporter, on camera, that he doesn't claim to cure people (or something like that)?

Date: January 04, 2015 02:10AM

In this interview the nurse who is suing states that the "Dr.s" Clement told people they could cure people...

"They would use the word cure. 'We're going to cure your illness.'"

[www.cbc.ca]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2015 02:12AM by SueZ.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 04, 2015 02:45AM

We all should do a seance and ask her!

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 04, 2015 05:07AM

Ann Wigmore's private collection
personal things...etc I took this photo in Puerto Rico

7kxwj

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 04, 2015 05:11AM

These people made stuff up, including their credentials.

Sometimes they were right. We keep that stuff.

Sometimes they were wrong. We drop that stuff.

It is a process. It takes time to figure out what works.

I think they wanted for people to be healthy. That is the main thing. You have to experiment for yourself. Keep what works for you, drop the rest of it.

But remember that nobody has all the answers. Until then it might be prudent to mind your RDAs.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: January 04, 2015 08:47AM

To get a PhD takes more than a few months. In my area, and in my country, it takes to do Honours first, then winning a competitive stipend (first class Honours needed for that), and then about 3 years of research ending in perhaps 3 publications in international peer-reviewed journals and a thesis.

I am sure that we can find a fault with any seemingly perfect human if we know enough about them. I do not look at the faults though, but try to look at the heart. To me, the experience of reading one of Anne Wigmore's books was very inspiring, uplifting and really helpful in my transition to raw. I was moved by Anne's heart and it is her heart that I see.

Also, knowledge is not a phenomenon restricted to people with degrees, though a good level of education in critical thinking is very beneficial in developing the ability to discern between what holds water and what does not.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: January 04, 2015 12:01PM

coconutcream Wrote:
> Ann Wigmore's private collection
> personal things...etc I took this photo in Puerto
> Rico
>
> [img.photobucket.com]
> ess/Facebook/My%20life/10398392_100257916652236_77
> 09280_n.jpg?t=14202606947kxwj

Thank you for that photo. What people collect speaks volumes about them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2015 12:01PM by SueZ.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 04, 2015 05:26PM

Believe or not, disseases are beliefs. They are social ideological constructions based on what people accept and then belief. Same with laws, degrees and lawsuits. It all rests upon beliefs and ideas. When you have a strong opinion about something, you are experiencing beliefs. The people that acuse Brian cLements are just reacting to beliefs. The people that defend him are doing the same. Experience depends on thought. But a single person cannot control other peoples beliefs and that's where the problems happen. It is a clash of beliefs. Brian Clement will appear of breaking beliefs if other peeple think so. BC will appear of commiting fraud if other peeple think so. There is a thin ideological line between being a hero and being a fraud. The medical stablishment gets its strength by making beliefs and winning battles of ideas.

Date: January 04, 2015 06:08PM

Again on the subject of Wigmore's colon cancer & self-recovery at age 50.

I went back to my copy of the 1964 (copyright) book, the full title of which is "WHy Suffer, The Answer? Wheat Grass God's Manna!" (which title, except for the first two words, has been changed over the years). And after rereading the book even more carefully, could still find no mention of any cancer event for Ann taking place for her at age 50 or thereabouts 1959-60.

However, I did find something very interesting that Ann says happened to her at almost exactly the same age & year as the non-mentioned cancer story. At Chapter 21, Page 204, titled "Our Indispensable Doctors", she relates that on a cold winter's morning "in 1960", while feeding the chickens, she tried to get a pail frozen in the earth out, felt a great groin pain, and said that "from that moment, I was more or less an invalid". Her condition was later diagnosed as "a hernia", which usually happens to men, but sometimes women & children.

A physician friend by the name of Dr. Shadman said months of bed rest might heal the hernia, but suggested in her case surgery would be more timely effective, so she went into the hospital and had an operation, staying there for 7 days post-op.

Now I have to wonder if in later printings of this book, the hernia story still exists or perhaps was replaced by a colon cancer story of the same year as being more appropriate. I'll have to check that out. Or maybe somebody else can.

Date: January 04, 2015 07:09PM

KFCA Wrote:
> Again on the subject of Wigmore's colon cancer &
> self-recovery at age 50.
>
> I went back to my copy of the 1964 (copyright)
> book, the full title of which is "WHy Suffer, The
> Answer? Wheat Grass God's Manna!" (which title,
> except for the first two words, has been changed
> over the years). And after rereading the book
> even more carefully, could still find no mention
> of any cancer event for Ann taking place for her
> at age 50 or thereabouts 1959-60.
>
> However, I did find something very interesting
> that Ann says happened to her at almost exactly
> the same age & year as the non-mentioned cancer
> story. At Chapter 21, Page 204, titled "Our
> Indispensable Doctors", she relates that on a
> cold winter's morning "in 1960", while feeding the
> chickens, she tried to get a pail frozen in the
> earth out, felt a great groin pain, and said that
> "from that moment, I was more or less an invalid".
> Her condition was later diagnosed as "a hernia",
> which usually happens to men, but sometimes women
> & children.
>
> A physician friend by the name of Dr. Shadman said
> months of bed rest might heal the hernia, but
> suggested in her case surgery would be more timely
> effective, so she went into the hospital and had
> an operation, staying there for 7 days post-op.
>
> Now I have to wonder if in later printings of this
> book, the hernia story still exists or perhaps was
> replaced by a colon cancer story of the same year
> as being more appropriate. I'll have to check
> that out. Or maybe somebody else can.

Thank you again, KFCA. I don't have any Ann Wigmore books but after reading your first paragraph I paused to order a hardcover 1964 copy of "Why Suffer". I don't know what edition it is as there were apparently several editions printed that year.

I noticed, while shopping, that on the paperback 1964 edition she didn't have the string of seven "degrees" after her name as the hardcover version did so I chose the hardcover edition even though it cost almost $8 instead of $6.

I was happy to read that one copy offered for sale, the copy I quickly chose to buy, has in it an inscription to the book's receiver from Ann Wigmore which includes her autograph. As fate would have it I can analyze handwriting, have many books on that subject (but no degree, lol) and a very good Leica stereo microscope at hand. I should have the book in my hands in a few weeks.

Date: January 04, 2015 07:37PM

I bought my copyright 1964 copy (paperback) through Abe's Books for $2, well plus a couple dollars postage, & published by Hemisphere Press. It says it's the 10th Printing. I don't know if this book gets reprinted annually or what, but a few references in the text are made to the years 1969 & 1970, so my copy clearly isn't a First Edition. but more likely published in the early 1970ties. At any rate, it's slightly brown-looking, though thankfully not old-smelling.

I just checked & saw that Abe's Books is carrying a 2013 version of the book, only now called "Why Suffer? A Remarkable and Inspirational Autobiography", published by Health Living Publications. I'm sure MUCHO dollars have been made off of this one little book.

Date: January 04, 2015 08:41PM

KFCA, it appears from what I can see online of the edition I ordered that the book is self published by Rising Sun. Can you tell whether or not your copy was printed by a vanity publisher? At least these days vanity publishers can run some very small editions so numbers of editions might not mean much.

Personally I don't think she could have made nearly enough money to have lived in such a mansion in a majorly high real estate taxed area as she did without taking in some huge donation money from people who needed tax right offs, or something like that, like HHI does now.

It wouldn't surprise me if many of these 'Dr.s' who claim to not much like the allopathic system are mimicking all of that systems tricks. They are probably avoiding paying taxes the same way corporations like Blue Cross Blue Shield does by registering 'themselves' as Non Profit Organizations.

On the Exeter St. mansion's story, which was linked on your now lost Ann Wigmore thread, it seemed like the mansion's property taxes were tied to Ann's being in residence along with her Rising Sun religion, didn't it?

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables