Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

indian-type salads
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: June 18, 2009 01:36PM

Hi there

My boyfriend's colleague's dad (does that make sense? lol) is opening up an Indian restaurant, and she's asked me for some good ideas for salads (she's been trying the ones I make for my boyfriend to take into work and really likes them). Mine aren't really Indian-style though, I just throw some veggies together and mix em up smiling smiley

I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas?

thanks x

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: indian-type salads
Posted by: frances ()
Date: June 18, 2009 03:13PM

Green salads aren't a traditional Indian dish, but you can certainly make a salad with an Indian theme.

I sometimes make this curry-flavored salad dressing which is based on one from Ani Phyo.

Creamy Curry Dressing
1 tbsp. curry powder
3 red apples, cored and diced
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp. ginger
3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp sea salt

Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender, and process until very smooth. If a high-speed blender is unavailable, peeling the apples will be necessary.

(Ani's original recipe called for more oil and only one apple. That may be all I changed, I'm not sure.)

For the salad itself, try to include ingredients that fit your theme. matchsticks of carrots and jicama are pretty, and add a generically Asian feel.

Here's a completely different idea... what about a marinated spinach salad with a tomato ginger dressing?

If you aren't thinking exclusively of green salads, there's a traditional Indian dish that is made with raw cucumber in a yogurt-sauce. I've seen more than one adaptation using faux-yogurt in raw food recipe books, and made at least one. That can be light, delicious and refreshing!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 18, 2009 03:13PM

The only salads I've seen at Indian restaurants consist of iceberg, unripened tomatoes, and cucumbers. :/

Date: June 18, 2009 03:19PM

thanks frances I'll try that smiling smiley yes it's true they're not traditional, I think these ideas are just for some alternatives on the menu.

utopian life, ha ha I know, that's my experience too, in most restaurants, not just Indian lol. oh you forgot the grated carrots smiling smiley That's why I'm glad she's asked me about this, with any luck we'll soon have a restaurant to go to where my boyfriend can indulge in a curry and I can get a decent salad smiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 18, 2009 04:56PM

frances says:

<<I've seen more than one adaptation using faux-yogurt in raw food recipe books, and made at least one. That can be light, delicious and refreshing>>

really? how do u make a faux rawyogurt?

Date: June 18, 2009 05:46PM

I'll have to look up the recipe I used when I'm home, but I know it was a blended recipe that I don't think contained any nuts or seeds. I remember being impressed by how it came out, but it probably isn't the recipe you'd want if you just wanted a serving of yogurt. Designed after a yogurt-based sauce, this was thinner, and garlicky.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: June 18, 2009 06:37PM

I would love a seedless, nutless, dairy free yogurt.

I hope you post one.

Posted by: lawofattraction ()
Date: June 18, 2009 06:41PM

tahini is pretty indian

Date: June 18, 2009 08:34PM

Yeah, tahini. Good thought. You could make a garlic-tahini, or a tahini-ginger dressing. That would be yummy on a green salad made with 1-day sprouted lentils, carrots, and cucumber chunks.

A dressing made with turmeric could be very pretty. Ooh... how about a creamy orange-colored lime turmeric dressing, and a light sprinkle of whole black sesame seeds over that? That could made a gorgeous presentation! The sesame seed idea could work with the curry dressing too.

Salad design is so much fun!

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: June 18, 2009 09:27PM

Utopian is right- "The only salads I've seen at Indian restaurants consist of iceberg, unripened tomatoes, and cucumbers. :/"

Also onions. They're big on onions in their salads.

Date: June 18, 2009 09:52PM

lol frances, glad you're enjoying it smiling smiley thanks for all the ideas! it's true, salads can be so varied, that's what annoys me in restaurants when you get the boring old wilted lettuce etc. Can't they just be a bit creative? lol.
Tahini, mmm yeah that would be nice - I've never made it before, I've ordered the pre-made stuff before though, it's lush! And sesame seeds would be lovely, I haven't been able to get any for ages now though.

I just whipped up something Indian-ish: spiralised a courgette (zucchini), added a chopped up tomato, 1/2 a red onion, some ginger, and some mung bean & lentil sprouts, then tossed it in a dressing made from olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, chilli, and some hot spices. Was good!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 19, 2009 10:36AM

salad is the bounty of the earth
which is why it should be discussed with great relish, depth and enthusiasm

i love this thread smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables