Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Power of Wheatgrass Juice
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: June 29, 2009 12:36PM

I've renewed my Passion for growing Wheatgrass, and drinking
Wheatgrass Juice. Remember the Billy Graham revivals? You have to make a
public confession.
I'm thinking that some of you may want to try it. Be careful....the Best
way to take it is in small shots.....1 or 2 ounces at a time. It's strong,
but I think you'll like the Energy you get....WY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Power of Wheatgrass Juice
Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: June 29, 2009 02:04PM

I have never tried them. They don't sound appealing to me. I read they make people feel sick. Is that true? If so, then why?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 29, 2009 03:54PM

Ah, WY, you make me sad . . . I had recommitted to wheatgrass, but I just cannot stand the waste of soil. It's not even the cost, it's the material waste--you can't even compost it, or you'll get wheat in your tomato and cucumber plants next year! If only there were a foolproof hydroponic method . . .

Kepp us posted on your progress : )

Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: June 29, 2009 08:43PM

I failed to find any evidence whatsoever of this "energy lift".

Date: June 29, 2009 10:11PM

pakd4fun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ......... I read they make people feel
> sick. Is that true? If so, then why?
People eating SAD feel sick changing to a
high Fruit Diet. In fact, I hear over and over again that
people can't eat fruit.....claiming it's too much sugar,
or it gives them Diarrhea.
When I'm living on high Fruit, wheatgrass juice is hard to
take. It's better if the diet is 50-50 (Greens to Fruit)...WY

Date: June 29, 2009 10:20PM

Tamukha Wrote:
> Ah, WY, you make me sad . . . I had recommitted to
> wheatgrass, but I just cannot stand the waste of
> soil.
The last thing in the World that I'd want to do is
make you sad. I have a problem with the waste too. I'm thinking
there must be some way to reuse the mats....gotta work on that...WY

Date: June 29, 2009 10:25PM

rrraw Wrote:
> I failed to find any evidence whatsoever of this
> "energy lift".
Reserve Judgment until you've taken it a few times
in the morning on an empty stomach. I like to 'cut' it with an
equal portion of Water....WY

Date: July 05, 2009 02:30AM

I'm having to get on my Soapbox again about
Wheatgrass Juice. You owe it to yourself to listen to
Brian Clement....it's only 7 minutes. I liked what he said
about the first four lifeforms on planet Earth...(1) Blue-green
Algae. (2) Seaweed. (3) the Grasses. (4) edible Weeds.
He also talks about Phytochemicals....the source?...sprouted Grains.
It prevents and eliminates Disease...and keeps you Young.
I want to grow enough Wheatgrass for 5 to 6 ounces of juice per day.
I know this group is mostly 80/10/10 followers, but you've got to
hear this.....

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 05, 2009 04:18AM

WY -- Good info, thanks for posting. :)

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 05, 2009 07:20AM

Tam, i have a vermiculture box going in my kitchen and my wheatgrass pads go in there and the worms make short work of them. ive never had any wheatgrass growing where it shouldnt as i use the worm castings in my houseplants and outdoors smiling smiley

the unit i have inside looks like this settup, i have homemade bins outside that arent as flyproof and smell proof for more outside compost smiling smiley

[www.transformcompost.com]

for example here is a wheatgrass site that also sells the red wrigglers that compost the mats smiling smiley [www.wheatgrasskits.com]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2009 07:31AM by Jgunn.

Date: July 05, 2009 07:40AM

also if you dont want the trouble of keeping worms , throw the mat into a large stock pot (that you dont use anymore cuz yer raw tongue sticking out smiley ) and boil it, boiling it will kill it and it wont grow anymore , let it cool , dump it on your compost pile it now just provides physical inert matter. for those of you that dont have the ability to compost it after boiling .. take it outside somewhere after youve boiled in a bucket and just dump it , the environment will make short work of it smiling smiley

whichever way you choose to go , worms or boiling, yer completeing the circle of life smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2009 07:45AM by Jgunn.

Date: July 05, 2009 07:53AM

one more last idea is to cut the mats into smaller peices and plant them into small containers, grow them up a bit and give them to all your cat loving friends smiling smiley wheatgrass is known as catgrass in the petstores and sells at a premium smiling smiley (like 8$-10$ up here for a little 4" x 6" plastic shallow container lol!!)

hey maybe you could sell them to the pet stores for resale ! grinning smiley

one persons trash is another persons treasure remember? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2009 07:55AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: July 05, 2009 08:17PM

what is this talk of worms!?!?

do you think the kids who are allowed to run the juice bars at java juice and

whole foods care enough to keep the wheat-grass products worm free?

Date: July 05, 2009 08:19PM

hrmmm .. the worms im talking about here are used in composting .. theyre not in the juice hehe smiling smiley

Date: July 05, 2009 09:33PM

Jodi,

Bless your heart! This what-to-do-I-do-with-the-used-wheatgrass-soil thing was driving me bananas! I was looking through the latest Sunlight Supply, Inc. catalog thinking, "hmmmm, can I grow wheatgrass repeatedly in the same batch of stonewool?" It never occurred to me to look for earthworms at Wheatgrass Kits.com. Thanks!

Date: July 06, 2009 10:17PM

ha ! yer welcome Tam smiling smiley ive decided to take my own advice and sourced a bunch of free (from freecyle) onion soup bowls which im not gonna plant the wheatgrass mats into later today and give them as gifts to my catty friends smiling smiley

the worms work great on the mats i just bust them up really well and bury them into the bottom where theres no chance in hellsinki that they are gonna grow in the bin smiling smiley

stonewool really sucks to use .. i worked in a greenhouse at they used it and it causes all sorts of skin irritations .. nothing id want around my food personally smiling smiley

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: July 06, 2009 10:32PM

Wheatgrass Yogi

Interesting that you find wheatgrass hard to take when eating high fruit.
I eat a high fruit diet.
I can not bear the smell of wheatgrass, let alone the taste.

I attended a two week Raw vegan (Low fruit high green) retreat a couple of years ago. We had 3 meals daily.
Each started with a small shot of wheatgrass.
Maybe it was the immediate change from fruit to greens that i didnt cope well with.
We were also encouraged to participate in daily wheatgrass enemas.
I managed to stick the two week retreat. I kept it up for a couple of days after returning home, then my wheatgrass went mouldy.
Once i broke my daily routine, then i didnt relish the thought of returning to it.
My family didnt like the smell of my wheatgrass ,sunflower sprouts and buckwheat sprouts growing in the house!

Im interested to know if you liked the taste of wheatgrass first off or if you developed a taste for it

ffx

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2009 10:38PM by The Fruit Faery.

Date: July 06, 2009 11:48PM

The Fruit Faery Wrote:
> Wheatgrass Yogi
>
> Im interested to know if you liked the taste of
> wheatgrass first off or if you developed a taste
> for it
I had to develop a taste for it, but it wasn't difficult.
Ever since I first read about Wheatgrass in Vik Kulvinskas' book
"Survival into the 21st Century", I knew it was my 'Path'....WY

Posted by: Janabanana ()
Date: July 07, 2009 04:08AM

Wheatgrass growing is the ideal format for green alchemy in urban environments. I grow my wheatgrass inside in winter and outside in squirrel proof shelving on a balcony. The mats I reuse by composting in 2 large bins along with vege/fruit scraps. I use Paul Stamet's mychorrhiza "MycoGrow for Vegetables" in my compost because earthworms do not like to be above the ground level. This fungi breaks down my compost very fast. I also put kelp, ground eggshell, diatomaceous earth, zeolite, leaves, herbs etc...in the compost soil. You can add colloidal silver, boron, or other trace minerals to the soil so that they become chelated into the plant protoplasm.

Wheatgrass juice is fantastic for mental chemistry detoxification with people having bipolar, ammonia, ADD or emotional issues.

I got more regenerative benefit out of raw dandelion soup, dandelion in smoothies and dandelion leaf salad...which I have been powering thru this summer. But I still consider wheatgrass to be my principle method of alchemy.

Wheatgrass is 70% chlorophyll, One ounce of wheatgrass juice has the vitamin and mineral equivalent of 2.2 pounds of fresh vegetables; although therapeutic doses can be up to 4 ounces. It contains most of the vitamins and minerals needed for human maintenance including 17 amino acids, is full of essential fatty acids. Wheatgrass retains 92 of the 102 minerals found in the soil, including calcium, phosphorus, iron magnesium and potassium. Wheatgrass has more vitamin C than oranges and twice the vitamin A as carrots. It is exceptionally rich in vitamins E, K, and B-complex; is high vitamin K. Many of the benefits of wheatgrass juice stem from the fact that it is a living food, about 30 “live” enzymes that help to dissolve tumors. Wheatgrass alkalinizes the blood, cures anemia and blood sugar problems, protects RNA and DNA from mutation and combats free radicals. Wheatgrass helps depression, purifies the liver, disinfects, cleanses and improves digestion, immunizes against many dietary carcinogens, counteracts acids and removes toxic metals from the cells, nourishes the liver and kidneys and restores vitality. It also contains Laetrile (B17), the oxygenating properties of which fights cancer. To be effective wheatgrass juice has to be drunk immediately after juicing. Since it provides maximum nutrition for detoxification and rebuilding you might consider growing wheatgrass. 4 oz per day is around 1 tray, so you need to have 7 trays circulating. Nothing heals faster with less expense than wheatgrass. The lowest price ($108) for the electric Miracle MJ550 juicer is at [www.costplusjuicers.com]

GROWING WHEATGRASS (for 15”x10” plastic tray)
1.Put 1.75 cups (1 large coffee cup) of wheat berries in a mason jar with a sprouting lid on. Cover seeds with water and soak 6-8 hours.
2.Germinate with jar at 45°angle in a bowl, rinsing once a day with water, for a day or two till root is about 1⁄4”.
3.Fill a perforated tray 3⁄4 full with soil, mix in 1 tablespoon of kelp powder and cover surface with the germinated wheat berries.
4.Water in seeds with watering can, fulvic acid and/or liquid fertilizer.
5.Cover with plexiglass 1⁄2” off the berries or plastic hutch for 2 days in shade. Spray lightly with water once or twice a day.
6.Take off cover and continue to grow indoors, use a spray bottle to water once a day. Or water if the soil dries out.
7.Harden off outside in semi-shade until about 5-7” tall; Water with watering can nearly every day if necessary.

Secrets of success: I grow my wheatgrass on a balcony in squirrel proof hutches made from open shelving covered with chicken wire. Make sure your trays have drainage holes in the bottom...and prop trays off of solid shelf to enhance aeration. If berries don’t germinate well get a different type of wheat seed next time. Since we are not covering the seeds with any soil, the main point for achieving a uniform growth is to cover the germinated seeds with plastic for the first two days until the roots descend into the soil. Growing Compost—Tear up used root-soil into pieces and compost along with juicing pulp, kelp powder, ground eggshells, leaves, banana peels, herbs, buckwheat goop and clays etc…Paul Stamets mycorrhiza in the compost doubles the mineral content of your wheatgrass juice. www.fungi.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2009 04:10AM by Janabanana.

Date: July 07, 2009 03:03PM

Janabanana,

Thanks for all that information--awesome!

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: September 22, 2009 08:07PM

what great information. Thank yousmiling smiley

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: September 22, 2009 10:07PM

I think adding greens to your diet to offset an excessive fruit intake is healthy given the nexus of blood sugar and cancer. However,does wheatgrass provide a comparative advantage to protect from getting cancer compared to cruciferous green juice (collards,kale, etc)? Not based on what I've read. The data support getting sufficient greens but not exclusively from wheatgrass, be sure to include cruciferous vegetables.

Kref
[en.wikipedia.org]

[www.drfuhrman.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2009 10:11PM by Krefcenz.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 22, 2009 11:13PM

Tried it once at Jamba Juice. Not very tasty, though! I can get it down though if I had too.

Date: September 22, 2009 11:24PM

Very informative Janabanana. I hereby declare you
the 'Wheatgrass Yogini'.
I'm gearing up to drink two ounces of Wheatgrass Juice every day
at Noon. That means an hour a day spent soaking seeds, planting
seeds, cutting mature Grass, juicing, drinking the juice, cleanup,
then doing it all again the next day, day in and day out. It's a
Major Commitment, but can easily be worked into a daily schedule....WY

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: September 22, 2009 11:25PM

TuttiFruitti,

I felt the same way about the taste but a surprising thing happened after I had been raw for awhile. I tried it again and I liked it.
So wait awhile and try it again because eating raw seems to change the taste buds.

Date: September 22, 2009 11:36PM

EZ rider Wrote:
> So wait awhile and try it again because eating raw
> seems to change the taste buds.
Exactly!! I've seen normal SAD eaters become
violently ill from drinking just a little Wheatgrass Juice.....WY

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 22, 2009 11:47PM

For all you wheatgrass yogis and yoginis and tantrikas out there: have you achieved union with the divine from your wheatgrass consumption?

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: September 23, 2009 12:16AM

Bryan, do you drink wheatgrass? I'm just curious because you have been raw for so long and you are so informative and helpful.

I like to start my day with it before my fruit. I usually eat fruit all morning, sometimes into the afternoon, then veggies and some fats all afternoon. Do you all think this is good?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 23, 2009 12:32AM

Lizard,

Sounds good to me. Like you, I eat my fats after I'm done eating fruit for the day.

I tried wheatgrass when I was first transitioning. It was one of those things I was drinking because I had heard it was a healthy drink. But at some point, my body just said no. For me, I quit wheatgrass before I started the low fat high fruit raw diet.

Date: September 23, 2009 12:40PM

Bryan Wrote:
> For all you wheatgrass yogis and yoginis and
> tantrikas out there: have you achieved union with
> the divine from your wheatgrass consumption?
Oh Bryan....Boo!!...Hiss!!...Party @#$%&!!
I thought we were here to build and encourage? Must
we all do it the same way?.....WY

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables