Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

does soaking / sprouting somehow reduce fat content?
Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: July 06, 2009 07:30AM

HIYA!

I mistakenly put this post in the juicing section, I think it was. After looking for responses I saw that I'd put there though I'd intended to put it here. This section seems more appropriate. So here it is.

"This section" is the sprouting section. No responses, so, hows about this section!

Does soaking nuts and seeds reduce the fat content somehow? I have read that soaking them breaks, I think it's the fatty acids, down to what, triglycerides? I don't know the chemistry of it all. I'm just thinking that during the breakdown process, that some of the fat might be reduced somehow. In the initial soaking especially, then, by sprouting and rinsing, maybe more is removed.

I love the nutty taste but I try to keep the fat content in my diet low. And, of course, eating nuts and seeds help satiate, and provides nutrients. I'm pretty darn skinny though I eat quite a lot and have been pretty active. Thinking this might help put on a bit of weight. I'm eating more nuts and seeds lately but don't really want to dramatically increase the amount of fat in my diet.

Thanks, Troy.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: does soaking / sprouting somehow reduce fat content?
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: July 06, 2009 12:48PM

When soybeans are sprouted the fats seem to increase, at least according to a cross check on nutritiondata.com

Caloric ratios of carbs/fats/protein

27/40/33 -- mature soybeans, raw

28/46/26 -- mature soybeans, raw, sprouted

[www.nutritiondata.com]

..it follows the pattern of lentils which also very slightly increase in fats as they sprout (from 3% to 4%). Seems odd since leafy plants in general are ultimately lower in fats than their seeds, as far as I know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2009 12:54PM by loeve.

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 06, 2009 01:46PM

Yeah, that's definitely very odd.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: July 07, 2009 12:52AM

..so odd so the "fats" % may be adjusted for digestability by the nutritiondata.com super-computer which comes to weird conclusions like giving human breast milk 2 stars (out of 5) because it's high in cholesterol.. hehe.. we're onto them.

..in the above link 'notes'..

"The Amino Acid Score has not been corrected for digestibility, which could reduce its value."

..in other words the "fats" % may be an adjusted value which may not match the plants actual fats %.

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: July 07, 2009 03:18AM

Yeah, strange huh. The strangest thing is that mother's milk gets 2 stars out of five. That's ....................

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Date: July 08, 2009 12:18PM

There are different types of plants and different sprouting methods with each type; for example some like their seeds simply soaked and some fully sprouted to greens.

I think a simple soaking involves the uptake of water and duplication of the cells of the embryo, without burning a lot of stored fuel in the process, that needed more for pushing the seed to the surface and getting the plant established..

"Endosperm is the tissue produced in the seeds of most flowering plants around the time of fertilization. It surrounds the embryo and provides nutrition in the form of starch, though it can also contain oils and protein." [en.wikipedia.org]

The fats in the endosperm of some seeds are part of the fuel used in germanation; the longer the seed is allowed the sprout, the more fat that goes into making carbo rich roots, stems and leaves. So it depends on the species of seed or nut and the method of sprouting as to how much fat is converted, imo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2009 12:32PM by loeve.

Date: July 09, 2009 12:21PM

So I guess endosperm storage would be typical in grains. Beans use cotyledons for energy (including fats) storage.

[cache.eb.com]

So those plump little leaves that are the first to emerge when sprouting beans are actually the fatty precursors of true leaves.

Posted by: RaeVynn ()
Date: July 11, 2009 02:53AM

Soaking seeds and nuts removes the enzyme inhibitors that prevent sprouting.
They also can prevent digestion. So, by soaking them, you make the seed/nut more digestible.

Also, the action of sprouting changes the nutritional profile of the seed/nut, as it then is a living plant, and not just a seed. It makes sense that the living plant would have more/less fat, protein, carb, whatever... as each plant's biological makeup requires.

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
We are all in this together!
Namasté

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables