Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
That post had me thinking
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: July 21, 2009 03:40AM

The post about the raw foodists still being overweight.
The only issue that could be is sharp spikes in blood sugar from alot of fruit??

SO many sources have us thinking that blood sugar is directly related to your weight,and that fruit spikes it pretty severely.

I eat about 80% raw,and yea,want to lose another 30 lbs.It aint budging.

Any other folks?

Vinny

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: That post had me thinking
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 21, 2009 03:46AM

I probably eat more fruit than most people on this forum, and I am nowhere near overweight. So I don't think fruit is a cause.

However, if someone is overeating, even fruit, they will gain weight (or get sick).

Date: July 21, 2009 03:53AM

Great.
I did not mean to cause any one to veer away from the raw lifestyle cause of my still being too heavy.
I believe in raw way of eating 100%.Especially what I have read about fruit being SO cleansing to the body.
My issue is...if only I could stick to it 100%.

The posts on this site are a great motivation though.

Thanks.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 21, 2009 04:00AM

The fruit/sugar idea is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever seen in my life.

It's crazy and really, really twisted. Nearly all primates including paleo man had fruit as their number #1 choice throughout evolution.

Bryan, the thing is, I don't know if you really can overeat fruit. Can you overbreathe air by being "greedy" about it? Can you oversleep? I don't think you really can do any of these things or would instinctively do any of them.

I'm still unsure on why you deleted it. Throughout time there would have been occasions when our ancestors had fruit as far as the eye could see and yet they were developed not to ever become fat, look at plant-based Asia's people. Fatness is a product of processed foods, plain and simple.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 21, 2009 05:44AM

im overweight still probably about 40lbs to clinical ideal weight in reference to BMI statistics .. but my problem is not my fruit its my lack of continous exercise. when i ramp it up and really make an effort i lose the weight when i get complacent about it i pack it all back on. food is not the be all end all of weight gain and loss .. its also lack of exercise, stress, not enough sleep , unhappiness, unnacceptance

an thats my 2 cents an im stickin to it smiling smiley im eating about 75% carbs from sweet fruit, 10% protein and 15% fat so im as close to 80-10-10 as i feel comfortable with .. when i destress , and relax , enjoy life and exercise the weight melts off .. when im like i am at the moment over wound up , stressed out , not exercising as much, not sleeping as well as i should be and being miserable the weight packs on and sticks smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2009 05:46AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 21, 2009 08:09AM

I agree with Jgunn. It's the exercise. If I exercise, my weight goes down. If I don't exercise, my weight goes up. Doesn't seem to matter so much whether I eat a lot of fruit or not.

Plus exercise gives me more energy and a happier outlook.

Date: July 21, 2009 09:38AM

I agree. I don't see how anyone can live a fairly inactive lifestyle and assume that just eating raw food will keep them slim/toned.

Also if you're already overweight, trying to get rid of those last few pounds is always extremely difficult no matter how miraculous your diet. It's easy to fall into a 'comfort' zone where you definitely aren't overeating, but aren't exercising enough either. The older you are, the harder it seems to get.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 21, 2009 12:31PM

I train 3-5 hours a day and eat as much fruit as I want..

just eating raw isnt enough for me, high raw put weight on me like mad!

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 21, 2009 01:03PM

I agree with the exercise point. Plus, raw foodists with weight issues might want to look at their intake of nuts and avocado as well.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: July 21, 2009 02:44PM

I need about 2,500 calories a day but I sometimes eat 3,500. Mostly fruit, some greens, low fat. Fruit is great.

Date: July 21, 2009 02:45PM

Hmmm.
Very,very interesting posts.
I had gotten the idea that just by eating raw plant food,you would become thin as a tooth pick eventually.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: July 21, 2009 04:20PM

If you use your muscles, you'll build them/keep them. Pretty easy. And fun. grinning smiley

Date: July 21, 2009 04:57PM

eaglefly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmmm.
> Very,very interesting posts.
> I had gotten the idea that just by eating raw
> plant food,you would become thin as a tooth pick
> eventually.

lol yes, that's what I thought as well! I have been exercising a good deal though and I'm fairly young. I don't believe that if you're older that weighing a fair bit is bad!!!! That's why you have overweight people doing well in mortality rates, because it's good to have a bit more weight when you're older as it's protective. When you're young, you shouldn't. Raw food and some exercise should bring you to your ideal weight.. just watch it on the nuts/seeds/avocados!!

I love my calf muscles now, they're so strong and great to look at, and my thighs when on the toilet are great!! It's also nice to see my ankles so skinny, they look really weird. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: July 21, 2009 05:05PM

Superinfinity said:

'because it's good to have a bit more weight when you're older as it's protective'

How?

Date: July 21, 2009 05:28PM

I don't know, but that's why slightly "overweight" people live longest according to some studies. Google "overweight people live longer" and you'll see what I mean.

They're not really "overweight", they don't look overweight. There should be a different criteria for older people as to what counts as overweight or not.

When you're young, borderline what they call "underweight" is the natural and better weight. But it's different to when you're 50 or 60+.... it's HARDER to keep off weight as many will tell you. That's because your body wants it a bit more, it's natural.

debbietook Wrote:
> Superinfinity said:
>
> 'because it's good to have a bit more weight when
> you're older as it's protective'
>
> How?

Date: July 21, 2009 08:55PM

I read all the responses to this post and couldn't help but wonder if oyu are drinking enough water. Lack of hydrating your body could be a reason you have not shed those extra pounds. HMM!

Date: July 21, 2009 09:30PM

Good point.
I drink about 3/4 gallon distilled water a day.

Vinny

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 21, 2009 09:56PM

WARNING TO WOMEN!!

Some of you may have already been warned of this.....

You may have heard about people who have been abducted and had their kidneys removed by black-market organ thieves well...

My thighs were stolen from me during the night a few years ago. I went to sleep and woke up with someone else's thighs. It was just that quick. The replacements had the texture of cooked oatmeal. Whose thighs were these and what happened to mine?

I spent the entire summer looking for my thighs.

Finally, hurt and angry, I resigned myself to living out my life in jeans. And then the thieves struck again.

My bum was next. I knew it was the same gang, because they took pains to match my new rear-end to the thighs they had stuck me with earlier.

But my new bum was attached at least three inches lower than my original! I realized I'd have to give up my jeans in favour of long skirts.

Two years ago I realized my arms had been switched.

One morning I was drying my hair and was horrified to see the flesh of my upper arm swing to and fro with the motion of the hairbrush. This was really getting scary - my body was being replaced one section at a time.

What could they do to me next?

When my poor neck suddenly disappeared and was replaced with a turkey neck, I decided to tell my story. Women of the world wake up and smell the coffee! Those 'plastic ' surgeons are using REAL replacement body parts - stolen from you and me! The next time someone you know has something 'lifted', look again - was it lifted from you?

THIS IS NOT A HOAX. This is happening to women everywhere every night.

WARN YOUR FRIENDS!

P.S. Last year I thought some one had stolen my Boobs. I was lying in bed and they were gone! But when I jumped out of bed, I was relieved to see that they had just been hiding in my armpits as I slept. Now I keep them hidden in my waistband.

Thought this was too 'important' not to pass on. Have a wonderful day - with a joy filled heart.

P.P.S. - These same thieves came into my closet and shrank my clothes! How do they do it????

Just thought you should know.

winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: July 21, 2009 10:09PM

Those bastards!!! They did the same thing to me, Jodi!! Mofos!!!!

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 21, 2009 10:10PM

debbietook Wrote:
> Superinfinity said:
>
> 'because it's good to have a bit more weight when
> you're older as it's protective'
>
> How?
The common thinking among seniors where I live, is
you need to be a little heavy in case you get sick.
See what I'm up against?....WY

Posted by: suzie08022 ()
Date: July 23, 2009 08:20PM

This is a great thread. I have learned some things, and had a good laugh as well. I,too am one of those people who started this fat and stayed fat for months. Then I read something David Wolfe wrote about metabolic syndrome. I believe that is what I had. It is basically a dead metabolism due to years of bad food, overeating, and no exercise. Finally, this past week, I am happy to say that I lost another ten pounds. Since I got my hip replaced four weeks ago I can only do some moderate exercise but am so thrilled to see the scale move that I am chomping at the bit to do more.

I should add that all I ate for two weeks post op was a ton of fruit.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: July 24, 2009 06:20AM

Superinfinity: it's different to when you're 50 or 60+.... it's HARDER to keep off weight as many will tell you. That's because your body wants it a bit more, it's natural.

They'll say that and tell others that because they like to tell themselves that. It's nothing more than an excuse. It's all down to lifestyle and food intake.

(I'm 50.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2009 06:22AM by debbietook.

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: July 25, 2009 11:31AM

It is interesting.
'The no 'fat' fruitarian concept'
Its got a lot to do with your starting point. Emotionally, spiritually and physically.

Most of my colleges have challenged me about my eating habits.
I have a few pounds to loose. (I have not exercised properly for about 3 months due to an ankle injury)
If i wasn't eating raw, i certainly would have put weight on. I walk a couple of miles a day and am grateful that i can do that, pain free at the moment.

Colleagues tell me that if they lived on what i consume, that they would be skinny.
Its almost as if they don't believe that i live on a raw diet.

These are what i consider to be people living unhealthy lifestyles themselves.

On the other hand, they often comment on my clear eyes, complexion, inner calmness and energy levels.
I feel that they are trying to find my 'weak spot'.
At first these comments did bother me, I did feel challenged, until i realised that this was the desired effect.

The few extra pounds that I'm carrying will go when its time for them to go.
My body is still healing. It takes time.
I refuse to allow college's negative comments to interrupt my healing process.
I do not react to their comments. I just smile.
I simply focus on all of the other positive physical, emotional and spiritual benefits of eating a high fruit low fat diet.

ffx

Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: July 25, 2009 01:16PM

Stress and poor quality sleep have been proven to attribute to weight gain as well.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 25, 2009 01:57PM

I have a theory and thats all it is, my theory - not fact as far as I know. I think that fat is a place where toxins get stored by the body until (hopefully) the body has the resources, energy, and opportunity to deal with it. I think eating anything more then the body can handle in the moment that is not truly fresh, clean, raw, food & drink will result in toxins being stored.

Date: July 25, 2009 03:09PM

EZ rider Wrote:
> I have a theory and thats all it is, my theory -
> not fact as far as I know. I think that fat is a
> place where toxins get stored by the body until
> (hopefully) the body has the resources, energy,
> and opportunity to deal with it. I think eating
> anything more then the body can handle in the
> moment that is not truly fresh, clean, raw, food &
> drink will result in toxins being stored.

I totally agree with you EZ rider that fat is where the body chooses to store toxins.
The other place the body chooses to store its toxins is inside the tumours it creates in a final attempt to stay alive..

Date: July 25, 2009 04:09PM

Sorry, but that's pseudoscientific nonsense. Fat is good for your body. Fat is protective. Fat is only bad if you're eating processed foods. It's true that most people have wayyyyy too much fat as a result of processed food, but a little fat is good for you.

The Fruit Faery Wrote:
> EZ rider Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have a theory and thats all it is, my theory
> -
> > not fact as far as I know. I think that fat is
> a
> > place where toxins get stored by the body until
> > (hopefully) the body has the resources, energy,
> > and opportunity to deal with it. I think eating
> > anything more then the body can handle in the
> > moment that is not truly fresh, clean, raw, food
> &
> > drink will result in toxins being stored.
>
> I totally agree with you EZ rider that fat is
> where the body chooses to store toxins.
> The other place the body chooses to store its
> toxins is inside the tumours it creates in a final
> attempt to stay alive..

Date: July 25, 2009 04:23PM

SuperInfinity

Have I touched a nerve?
ffx

Date: July 25, 2009 06:40PM

The Fruit Faery Wrote:
> SuperInfinity
>
> Have I touched a nerve?
> ffx

Asking someone if you've touched a nerve is patronising.

I'm six foot and under 10 stone, I was around 11 stone when I wasn't eating raw. My dad is around 80 and he's a bit heavy (I mean heavy as in 12-13 stone, not what Americans call heavy), three of my aunts were quite thin and they're all dead.

So no I do not have nervous problems with food, I eat exactly what I want when I was so long as it's raw. I find it is actually the other way around. You Americans have nerve problems with food, not me.

I'm trying to talk sense into you... you're afraid to even say some fat might be good. You're like the CR society.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2009 06:41PM by SuperInfinity.

Date: July 25, 2009 07:19PM

SuperInfinity Wrote:
> The Fruit Faery Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > SuperInfinity
> >
> > Have I touched a nerve?
> > ffx
>
> Asking someone if you've touched a nerve is
> patronising.
>
> I'm six foot and under 10 stone, I was around 11
> stone when I wasn't eating raw. My dad is around
> 80 and he's a bit heavy (I mean heavy as in 12-13
> stone, not what Americans call heavy), three of my
> aunts were quite thin and they're all dead.
>
> So no I do not have nervous problems with food, I
> eat exactly what I want when I was so long as it's
> raw. I find it is actually the other way around.
> You Americans have nerve problems with food, not
> me.
>
> I'm trying to talk sense into you... you're afraid
> to even say some fat might be good. You're like
> the CR society.

I am not An American.
What is the CR society?

Patronising?
maybe you might like to re read some of your previous posts!

Anyway, as we appear to have very different views on a wide range of topics, I am happy to agree to disagree with you, as this is serving neither of us.

I will no longer reply to, or make any further comments on your future posts
Let this be an end to the negativity between us.
With respect and best wishes
ffx

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables