Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pitting Edema
Posted by: petrichor ()
Date: July 24, 2009 01:53PM

I've cut out salt and yesterday drank juiced celery with carrot (25oz), got a body massage a couple days ago and had her focus on my ankles and calves for a good portion of it, and I prop my legs up on a pillow at night. It's only been a couple days since I completely cut out added salt, but there's not much of a reduction in swelling at all, just wondering if anybody else has any other suggestions to speed up the process? I have a job as a receptionist so I sit in an office chair all day, I suppose more movement may help..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pitting Edema
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 24, 2009 02:05PM

petrichor,

Light bouncing on a rebounder(mini trampoline) if you can manage it, or skipping rope. Remember that celery is high in sodium; although it's the good kind, you may want to cut back on it and see if that helps. otherwise what you are doing seems like it'll help. Good luck!

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 24, 2009 02:16PM

Definintely more movement will help to circulate and MOVE the fluid, but you also need to drastically increase your water in-take to literally flush out the system. Try to get in at least 3-4 quarts of water daily. If you don't like plain water, add fresh lemon or fresh lime juice (fresh squeezed) - also a great diuretic. Adding parsley to your salads and juices will also help to relieve some of the fluid levels. Most importantly WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER. Good luck and keep us posted.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: petrichor ()
Date: July 24, 2009 02:25PM

Tamukha- I thought celery was a natural diuretic and would help with fluid retention, am I wrong? Don't have a trampoline or jump rope but I will try to be more active.

Water, water, and more water- will do. I am going to buy lemons after work and try starting my day with lemon water.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 24, 2009 02:48PM

petrichor,

No, you are right that celery is a natural diuretic, but it is also salty, and I don't know that the sodium may not counteract its diuretic properties in you. But you can probably tell; keep an eye on it. Maybe combine celery juice with parsley as plainlydressed suggested? Also, as she suggested, water is its own best diuretic, so consuming it neat as well as in thin juices should help. And do try to move in a way that jars those lil' lymph glands, like rapid walking or running up and down the stairs. I don't know how fit you are; that's why I recommended a trampoline--it's exercise disguised as fun : )

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 24, 2009 03:03PM

Rebounder is an awesome idea as well. I have one and love it. Amazing benefits with very little effort. Excellent health results.

But always remember - WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER. =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 24, 2009 10:41PM

You can try some fresh dandelion leaves in juices and or salads. Or buy a tincture of dandelion and add it to juice.

I like to use a massager on my feet..it gets them moving and the vibration seems to help for at least sevearl hours for just 5 min. of the vibes on them.

Cold water foot baths also, along with adding some things like epsom salt, or if not that, maybe some hydrogen peroxide..or just cold water. Not hot water, but cool to cold water foot baths.

I always like burdock root tincture and that aids in moving cyrstals that lodge in joints out and helps flush them out of system.

Eat lots of watermelonsmiling smiley
Eat less fat.
Love,
Prism

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: July 26, 2009 04:35AM

I have thyroid issues which causes edema when the wrong foods are eaten or salt. I always end up fasting to get rid of it and it takes a couple weeks.

For quick fixes though..Dandelion Root/Tea or Diuretic Teas. You can buy a tincture of Dandelion Root at a health food store and just add it to water or juice.

I've never noticed celery juice working or making me pee more. I tried it once to get rid of edema and after a day or so I just quit. Wasn't worth cleaning the juicer over.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables