Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Storing Raw Nuts and Seed?
Posted by: DaisyHair ()
Date: July 26, 2009 06:40PM

Hi,

I am brand new to the Raw world and am sort of learning as I go.
the more I read the LESS I know! I have more questions EVERY day!

One thing I can't seem to find is how to store raw nuts and seeds.
I did a search here and could not come up with any particular posts re: this.

Can they be just kept in the fridge or do they need to be frozen and if so how long does everyone think they last in the fridge/freezer.?

I just ordered a couple of pounds of raw nuts.

Man I have a gazillion questions but I am trying to search to learn before posting!

Thanks so much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Storing Raw Nuts and Seed?
Posted by: rawne ()
Date: July 26, 2009 06:59PM

Are they in-shell nuts? If so, you might not need to refrigerate them at all depending upon when they were harvested & the ambient temperature & humidity levels. If they're relatively fresh & it's not too warm or humid & you expect to consume them fairly soon, I wouldn't worry about refrigeration. Longer than a month or so, I'd probably refrigerate them.
On the other hand, if they're shelled, I would refrigerate them. If you're planning on holding them for many months, I'd then freeze them.
When I was consuming nuts & seeds, I'd store them in air-tight jars, mason jars or the like.

Date: July 26, 2009 11:08PM

Thank you.

It's VERY humid here (Orlando) and I bought several pounds so I will freeze a few and put a few in the fridge.

Thank you very much!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 26, 2009 11:13PM

you can store them in mason jars in the fridge and the freezer, they take up less space that way. more up space instead of out, ye know? either that or stackable tupperware. then you can just take a container out of the freezer and put it straight into the fridge as you need it too.

Posted by: NeonBee ()
Date: July 27, 2009 02:57AM

We typically buy raw almonds orchard direct in 40 or 50 pound increments. After a number of years of playing the container game we now place them in freeze bags (double bagged) and keep them in the freezer, usually in a box. The bags seem to take up less space. The same applies for beans, quinoa, seeds, berries, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2009 02:59AM by NeonBee.

Date: July 31, 2009 08:06PM

Thank you,
Glad to know it's also OK to freeze them.
I use baggies to freeze dried herbs so Nuts sounds like a good plan also.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables