Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Questions and Obersvations from a Newbie
Posted by: thenewguy ()
Date: August 05, 2009 01:20PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm at about day 6 or 7 of being 75-80% raw... maybe more. The 1st day was kind of a test and was really just an increase in fruits/veggies. Here are some questions that I'm hoping someone will answer:

1) How do you measure your "rawness" (100% is easy). Do you measure it on volume/weight? 4lbs of raw and 1lbs of cooked would make you 80%? I've been eating raw all day until dinner and then eating whatever. Then raw for snack later on.

2) My detox, if that's what it was, consisted of a 3 day sore throat followed by 2 days of diarrhea. My body smells a little funny and my skin is greasy. Should I expect anything more dramatic?

3) I'm noticed that some medications/supplements that I take have a much more dramatic effect now. Does a raw diet make you more sensitive or responsive to meds and chemicals?

4) My taste has become more sensitive as well. Just a week ago, I used to put 2 or 3 pieces of mint gum in my mouth to freshen my breath, the flavor and stress reduction. Now, I've been chewing 1/4 of a piece and am very satisfied. (now you can chastise me for using gum with NutraSweet in it). Do the taste buds become more sensitive?

5) Speaking of freshening breath, eating raw (besides garlic and onion) has made my mouth fresher. Comments?

6) My energy level has definitely increased. When I do get tired, it's a different kind of tired. Hard to explain... does anyone know what I mean?

7) I'm still drinking tap water and due to #4 above, I'm not diggin' it so much. Tastes like a chlorine pond... can you recommend a good, cheap water filter? It the brita a good one?

Thanks! Wish me continued success!

Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions and Obersvations from a Newbie
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 05, 2009 01:37PM

Bill,

Reread your post. You are clearly answering some of your own questions! Yes, you are detoxifying and yes, your body is becoming more sensitive.

As for medications, please consider talking to your doctor about the dosage. As you clear toxins out of your body, your liver is better able to metabolize drugs, so your dosage may need to be adjusted. Though perhaps not right now.

As for Nutrasweet--didn't you get the memo? As for tap water--ditto.

I think most of us measure percentage of Rawness according to calories. For example, if one breakfasts and lunches on a few pounds of leafy greens, which are calorie sparse, and then ends the day with a small serving of bread and butter, followed by ice cream, these cooked foods would calorically outweigh the few pounds of greens, while being a fraction of the greens' physical weight.

Waiting to see how everyone else responds.

Welcome to the Forums, btw!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: August 05, 2009 01:39PM

1) I think it's usually done by calories. So 500 calories from cooked foods and 1,500 from raw foods is 75% raw.

2) THat's about the only detox I got was a sore throat and then I think a fever and being tired a few days. You might not have a dramatic one, but we can't predict it for you.

3) I don't know, I'm not on meds.

4) I don't think the taste buds become more sensitive; I think they revert back to what they would have been originally had we not eaten sub-optimal foods. So this seems like your original taste bud receptor level. smiling smiley

5) ?

6) Definitely. That's why some of us are raw, for the energy and better skin.

7) I use a brita on-faucet filter and it's okay. I figure it's better than regular tap and doesn't use a ton of plastic like buying gallons/bottles.

Good luck1!!

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 05, 2009 03:12PM

I woke up with a little bit of a sore throat today (4th day of raw for me). I figured it was a detox symptom sad smiley I've been juicing a "green" drink every morning, but because of the sore throat I decided to juice 2 oranges, carrots and pineapple. Decided to try to get a bunch of Vitamin C. I use a Brita water filter -- I read the paperwork that came with it and it seems to filter out lots of stuff. Eventually I think I will get an underthesink water purifier, but not ready to spend the bucks for that yet. I don't want to purchase bottled water anymore -- too much waste going in the landfill.

Date: August 05, 2009 04:07PM

Thanks to the respondents so far...

Something else I've noticed is that I don't feel tied to the typical meal times. When I get hungry, I eat. And, when I'm hungry, I'm just hungry. It's not the FAMISHED feeling that I'm so used to. I'm not watching the clock to see when I can eat again. I also don't wake up starving like I normally did. Lastly, I don't have cravings for the "bad" things including candy, desserts, beer and snacks like potato chips. Granted, my mouth just watered when I wrote those things, but they don't creep into my consciousness continuously like before.

BTW, I live a pretty healthy lifestyle. I was eating healthier than "normal" Americans, exercising a few times (or more) a week, getting fresh air and sunshine... I just felt like crap. I have had sinus issues that were getting worse and gas/bloating that was getting a little weird. Plus, I seemed to be gaining weight on my hips even when I was eating less calories. I'm 41 and a week ago weighed 180. This week I weigh 175 and I certainly don't feel like I'm dieting or anything. (I stuffed myself on homemade veggie sushi with a sesame pate last night!)

Another side note, I ate vegetarian for about a year once and didn't notice anything different about my health or life. Of course much of the food was cooked, and Swiss Cake Rolls don't have any animal products in them smiling smiley But, I've been really surprised at how I'm feeling by eating so much raw. Hopefully it's not the placebo effect.

-Bill

Posted by: Lara_Hastings ()
Date: August 06, 2009 05:28PM

I'm also new to this, just three days tongue sticking out smiley
And I'm very surprised by the side effects as well! I didn't think I would detox like this, I have been fasting once a year ago (just a few days), and these symptoms I'm having now feels very similar to that - minus the hunger off course. I'm having lots and lots of energy! And also I'm surprised of this tired feeling I get when it's time to go to bed, like when I was little. I get really sleepy, and I sleep very well.
So far most of this have been positive.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 06, 2009 07:35PM

thenewguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lastly, I don't have cravings for
> the "bad" things including candy, desserts, beer
> and snacks like potato chips. Granted, my mouth
> just watered when I wrote those things, but they
> don't creep into my consciousness continuously
> like before.
>

umm.. thenewguy you've only been raw for a week so far. Those things, or maybe things that are less bad for you but still not optimal (peanuts, muesli, yoghurt with toppings, even chips with curry unfortunately ring a bell for me)... will probably come back and creep into your consciousness. Don't expect that you'll never think of them again now... you're NEVER truly done with processed foods, at least not until you've been years on raw without cheating. They're always a temptation, they're always there. People who are overconfident about being able to stay off something are the ones who don't succeed, never have any confidence in your self-control!!! smiling smiley

Date: August 07, 2009 11:14AM

SuperInfinity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... will
> probably come back and creep into your
> consciousness. Don't expect that you'll never
> think of them again now... you're NEVER truly done
> with processed foods, at least not until you've
> been years on raw without cheating. They're always
> a temptation, they're always there. People who are
> overconfident about being able to stay off
> something are the ones who don't succeed, never
> have any confidence in your self-control!!! smiling smiley

I agree 100%.

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: August 07, 2009 01:48PM

1) How do you measure your "rawness" (100% is easy). Do you measure it on volume/weight? 4lbs of raw and 1lbs of cooked would make you 80%? I've been eating raw all day until dinner and then eating whatever. Then raw for snack later on.

I don’t measure mine specifically. I just eat what I want until satisfied. I try to keep my vegetables and fruits separate, my melons alone, and mix my leafy greens with only fruits or only veggies. I don’t measure anything, but just eat what I need and when I need until I am satisfied. I don’t have time to keep up with pounds and calories and weights or measures. LOL =) But as I go through the process, I find what works best for me, what amounts of what ingredients I need to feel full at certain meal times and in various situations. You can tailor the process as you go along.

2) My detox, if that's what it was, consisted of a 3 day sore throat followed by 2 days of diarrhea. My body smells a little funny and my skin is greasy. Should I expect anything more dramatic?

Sounds like all detox symptoms. I was fortunate to be a lifetime vegan, so I did not experience any detox symptoms – only improvements like increased energy, weight-loss, etc. But the symptoms you describe sound like very common detox symptoms. You can expect them to intensify and/or last longer depending on the level of SAD diet you were eating before. Be sure to drink PLENTY of water to help the body flush out the toxins much faster so you will feel better SOONER.

3) I'm noticed that some medications/supplements that I take have a much more dramatic effect now. Does a raw diet make you more sensitive or responsive to meds and chemicals?

The raw diet makes you more sensitive to those things because they are considered “toxins” by the body, so yes, you will definitely notice a more significant effect from medications and supplements. Definitely keep an eye on the medical conditions for which you are taking the drugs, because your new diet will definitely decrease or adjust your dosage needs. Keep an eye on sugar levels, blood pressure, etc. and definitely keep tabs with your Dr. so he can adjust (and hopefully soon ELIMINATE!!) the medications.

4) My taste has become more sensitive as well. Just a week ago, I used to put 2 or 3 pieces of mint gum in my mouth to freshen my breath, the flavor and stress reduction. Now, I've been chewing 1/4 of a piece and am very satisfied. (now you can chastise me for using gum with NutraSweet in it). Do the taste buds become more sensitive?

All a part of the body detoxing and literally “waking up.” As you eat LIVE / LIVING food, your body will come more “alive” and your senses will be more sharp, so your taste buds will need less and less stimulation. (No one will chastise you because it sounds like you are doing an AWESOME job with this new process!! Keep it up!! =) )

5) Speaking of freshening breath, eating raw (besides garlic and onion) has made my mouth fresher. Comments?

See my answer to #4. Remember that the majority of “bad breath” actually comes from the digestive system. You can brush your teeth, chew gum, and rinse with mouth-wash all day long and STILL have bad breath. The problem comes from the toxins in the digestive system and from the mucous membranes in the mouth and sinuses. PLUS, if your body is full of toxins, your sinuses will not be healthy and will likely have plenty of bacteria and mucous build-up, which also causes bad breath, bad smells, and nasty drainage. So it is all a perfectly natural process.

6) My energy level has definitely increased. When I do get tired, it's a different kind of tired. Hard to explain... does anyone know what I mean?

I understand COMPLETELY and experienced exactly the same thing. My “tired” was not so much an “exhausted fatigue,” but just a natural need for rest and sleep. It’s a much DIFFERENT “tired” than I experienced before and I feel a lot more refreshed and rested after sleeping through the night or after a nap.

7) I'm still drinking tap water and due to #4 above, I'm not diggin' it so much. Tastes like a chlorine pond... can you recommend a good, cheap water filter? It the brita a good one?

Water filters are good. Some folks recommend distilled water (aside from the controversy of minerals in natural spring water versus distilled water). I make my own distilled water, but you can buy it from the store, or you can simply buy natural spring water, OR just use a filter. Whatever works best for you, but ANYTHING is better than standard tap water, especially if you live on city-treated water. Of course well water is great also if you live in a rural area and make sure that your water source is tested and safe to drink.

Hang in there. You’re doing a GREAT job and we’re all proud of you !!! =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: August 07, 2009 02:55PM

Thank you plainlydressed! Today was payday, so I think I'm getting some kind of filter for my water, either a pitcher or on faucet one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables