Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
eating 10% fruit
Posted by: Hellokitty ()
Date: August 09, 2009 11:31AM

Im just wondering how to change my diet to eating 10% fruit. I want to maintain the weight I am at which is 106lb. I was thinking to try and eat mostly greens and then 10% which would be bananas or other kinds of fruit. What would you guys suggest. I eat alot of fruit in the morrning and am wondering what would give me the same boost.

Let me know. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: eating 10% fruit
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 09, 2009 01:36PM

oh dear oh dear...

Hellokitty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Im just wondering how to change my diet to eating
> 10% fruit. I want to maintain the weight I am at
> which is 106lb. I was thinking to try and eat
> mostly greens and then 10% which would be bananas
> or other kinds of fruit. What would you guys
> suggest. I eat alot of fruit in the morrning and
> am wondering what would give me the same boost.
>
> Let me know. Thanks

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 09, 2009 02:21PM

SuperInfinity

oh dear oh dear...

What does that mean ? Could you put that into words please ?

Date: August 09, 2009 02:29PM

Isn't that going to be really tough?

What if in three days time you're sick of eating greens? Might make staying raw hard to stick to?

Limiting your diet isn't the best way to stay in shape.

Is there a way you can compromise by upping the fruit percentage but do a little extra walking to/from work?

That aside, Green juice is good for an energy burst in the morning smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2009 02:29PM by suspendedindefinitely.

Date: August 09, 2009 03:03PM

EZ rider Wrote:
> SuperInfinityoh dear oh dear...
>
> What does that mean ? Could you put that into
> words please ?

I think it's a terrible mistake to limit your fruit. IMO 90% fruit would be optimal, and this may be only because of agriculture destroying some nutrition in them.

I thought HelloKitty was going so well... and now this! It makes me sad. I have no idea what got her thinking along these lines.

Date: August 09, 2009 03:58PM

Well it was just someting paul metioned to me. This is why im asking

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: August 09, 2009 04:01PM

why didn't you ask Paul?

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 09, 2009 04:19PM

Well it seems to me that you could have several green juiced drinks throughout the day and eat some fruit for your fiber needs? Would be very boring to me. Fruits don't have that many calories. You could exercise a little extra each day and burn off the calories that would allow you to eat more fruit.

Date: August 09, 2009 04:24PM

Ah... has Paul has been up to his old tricks again? That little rascal. yawning smiley)

HelloKitty, never mind him. Your diet should be 90%+ fruit. If you try this sort of thing you might go back to cooked foods again.

Date: August 09, 2009 04:31PM

hey, brian clement recommends less fruit and he is one smart cookie.
look up the hippocrates institute in florida if you're interested in more greens and less sugar.

but girl, 106 is really very light. it's ok to gain a few lbs and still be extremely healthy. i try to focus on how i feel instead of the number on the scale. besides, muscle weighs more so i anticipate gaining if anything as i increase working out in my life. need more calories for that too smiling smiley.

Posted by: irena ()
Date: August 09, 2009 04:56PM

I don't think hellokitty is worried about gaining weight but rather maintaining her weight (not loosing).
If you limited your fruit intake to 10% it wouuld be impossible to get your caloric requirements from veggies only so you would end up compensating with lots of nuts and seeds or go back to cooked. What is Paul's reasoning behind this method? Just curious.

Date: August 09, 2009 05:05PM

Brian Clement is a substantial man, physically speaking, and he eats very little fruit at all. Until recently he ate a strictly raw diet though I believe that he is incorporating a small percentage of cooked foods at some evening meals (in case one is wondering if that is why he isn't a skinny mini, it isn't, his body type has remained constant). He says that the only way for a raw foodist to maintain a healthy weight is through exercize and somehow that's what his clients and staff are doing on a mostly green diet.
It can be done is what I'm saying and for some (candida, cancer, etc) avoiding sugary fruit has it's benefits. Many paths to one destination and all that.

Date: August 09, 2009 05:53PM

Paul was just saying it is better for UC healing. Sugar caused my desease so it is better to decrease it. Anyway I don't want to lose weight in fact I want to put on at least 7lb. I find this really really dificult to do.

Date: August 09, 2009 06:04PM

for breakfast we make a spinach smoothie that is mostly greens with a bit of berries and maybe some pineapple in it (i add banana for the kids but not for me), sometimes i toss in some soaked sunflower seeds or some hemp seeds (no hull) for extra calories and protein.
same with juice, mostly greens with just enough fruit to make it slightly sweet.

you can make nut milks then dehydrate the pulp (set it out in the sun under a screen to keep out bugs and let it dry like that if no dehydrator or in a warm oven with the door propped open with a wooden spoon handle. a very thin layer and turn it frequently. this is great in those lara bars and nut loaf and such). that's great as a drink on it's own or with minimal fruit added or as a base for a smoothie. you still get the sweet taste but you can make it very mild so as to reduce your sugar intake.

have you checked out the glycemic index on foods you like? sometimes things (like carrots) are high in sugar when you wouldn't think so.

you can make great flax crackers and other breads and wraps in a dehydrator too. it's an investment, i know, but again a warm oven can do the trick if it doesn't get too hot.

but the best way to put on weight is, again, exercise.

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: August 09, 2009 06:22PM

HelloKitty wrote, "Paul was just saying it is better for UC healing. Sugar caused my desease so it is better to decrease it."

Kitty, have you seen a worsening of the symptoms since you've been eating the amount of fruit you've been? If not, why would you want to change something that's working?
Anyway, rest assured that there are no raw food police and you can change anything you want to in your diet. If you do, I hope you give us updates on your experiences. Good luck.

Date: August 09, 2009 06:59PM

Hellokitty Wrote:
> Paul was just saying it is better for UC healing.
> Sugar caused my desease so it is better to
> decrease it. Anyway I don't want to lose weight in
> fact I want to put on at least 7lb. I find this
> really really dificult to do.

Then don't, you don't need it. Trying to lose or gain weight if you're on a natural and raw diet is almost never advised. If you're sure you want to, there's probably no harm in changing around a few foods to gain or lose weight. Try getting addicted to peanuts or something. Have you tried different flavours of them? Not saying it'd be a good idea to go overboard on them and they aren't competely natural out of their shells, but it's probably what I'd do.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 09, 2009 07:14PM

Most people eating 10% or less fruit in their diet are including around 20% or more cooked foods in their diet. This is all by volumes of course. 20% by volume of cooked foods can actually be 80% by calories of cooked foods.

hellokitty, you ought to ask Paul how he got to 10% fruit. I don't recommend that, unless you want to start eating some cooked foods (starches) again.

Of course, some people can exist without eating any food, so it is theoretically possible to eat a raw food diet with 10% fruit. You have to try it and see how it feels for you. If it feels good, then great. If not, you can always eat more fruit.

Date: August 09, 2009 07:58PM

well i did ask paul but didn't get a response yet. Hes most likely doing talks, i think he is generally more busy than me. Especially as im still on holiday. I just asked you guys because I wanted a now response. Its just me Im too now now now, and I don't want to badger Paul Nison who probably is not even at his house.

Anyway my UC is doing really well. yes I saw some mucus a wile ago (2 weeks ago), but not much. I also think that if Paul said he does it on 10% fruit I would think he would be able to do it, if he went back to cooked foods I think the UC would come back. I know mine would, any carbs would make it come back, and I think he would be in hospital (UC people cant do complex carbs that’s why the SCD diet works) . if he is still wondering about I think he would defiantly be on a raw diet. Anyway I was only seeing options so I can learn more about raw foods. This is also why I asked you guys.

Thanks for your imput. Thanks everyone

Today my diet consisted of 12 bananas, 1 whole melon, 1 box of strawberries. And a hand full of blueberries. Yumm. Thanks again

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 09, 2009 08:12PM

Hellokitty

Paul was just saying it is better for UC healing. Sugar caused my desease so it is better to decrease it.

What type of sugar was it ? Was it sugar found naturally in fruit or was it table sugar ?

Date: August 09, 2009 09:01PM

Well it was defiantly table sugar. my diet was so bad in the past. I used to eat cake for breakfast when I worked as a pastry chef at harrods. So defiantly that refined sugar caused it.

So far with fruit my symptoms have been little to none so Im not sure that fruit effects me in the same way.

Posted by: rawfoods ()
Date: August 09, 2009 09:09PM

I think what he *might* mean is that, for example 12 bananas and a whole melon is a little excessive. He may have meant eat a small bowl of fruit in the morning to give you a boost and then the rest of the day just eat veggies and raw protien

[www.healthyfoodrawdiet.com]

Date: August 09, 2009 09:22PM

Could be rawfoods but i don't understand how I would keep up my weight on just a small bowl of fruit.

Date: August 09, 2009 11:06PM

greens and nuts and seeds. not excessively so, just replace the calories you usually get from sweet fruit. include some non-sweet fruit too.

Date: August 09, 2009 11:48PM

And you can stuff your mouth with raisins. They're not really natural, raw, fruit, but good enough. We get muesli in europe, a cereal of raw grains.. don't know if you want to try that.

Date: August 10, 2009 10:35AM

SuperInfinity - ive never seen raw muesli in London where do you get it from. Do you go to a health food store.

Im sticking with my fruit anyway until I abosoulty 100% feel that the diet could keep my weight up and I could do it practicly. I cant risk the raw diet failing its not wroth it.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 10, 2009 12:04PM

Hellokitty,

As I know I've mentioned, I like Paul Nison, but please don't reduce your fruit intake just because he recommends it. This is not a sufficient reason for you to do it; for him, yes, as it would be his body and his health he'd be affecting. But you must determine what's working for you and what isn't. If you are doing well on high fruit, and you seem to be, judging by how the Scotland trip went, keep doing what you are doing. It will be much easier for you to maintain your present weight on the calories from fruit. Good luck : )

Posted by: zella ()
Date: August 10, 2009 02:19PM

three numbers...80/10/10

get the book and read it. by dr dough graham. it's blowing my mind!!

Date: August 11, 2009 09:08AM

Hi Everyone here is Pauls answer to my questions.

If reading this Paul I didn't see your blog till today. Sorry about that.

[paulnison.blogspot.com]

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: August 11, 2009 05:15PM

As far as I know, ie have understood from various sources, Brian Clements hasn't followed a raw food diet for many years. He eats 'high raw'.

I'm guessing that the cooked component is in the form of cooked grains, as someone who attended one of his workshops was shown how to sprout grains...then cook them.

I think it might be hard trying to combine a high intake of fruit with cooked grains, as if fruit goes into the body while it's still trying to digest cooked grains, the fruit, that digests quickly, will get held up - cue fermentation, and gas!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2009 05:20PM by debbietook.

Date: August 11, 2009 07:34PM

think it might be hard trying to combine a high intake of fruit with cooked grains, as if fruit goes into the body while it's still trying to digest cooked grains, the fruit, that digests quickly, will get held up - cue fermentation, and gas!

I find it really bad to combind cooked grains and fruit. this gives me instant IBS symptoms. I find fruit on its own is better. Even if i eat salad then fruit i get a bad stomach. Today I at sweet fruits all day and salad in the evening. Its much better for digestion

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables