Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Question about trolls
Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 12, 2009 07:08PM

Sometmes I read posts where someone thinks that some of the posts are from a troll. Do some people selling products actually come on here misrepresenting their reason for being here, and talk about their product to try to "encourage" people to buy it? Since I'm new to raw, I have a few products that I will be purchasing over the next few months. If trolls are really doing this, that totally turns me off from buying their product! I'd rather have someone be honest and admit that they are selling a product then to post some long post about something and then to be called out as a troll. Is there an easy way to spot trolls?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about trolls
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 12, 2009 07:24PM

I think you should really be sure to look into every product you see and always be careful with what you buy. There are con-men around everywhere, or even products that aren't so much cons as just useless or you use them a few times and they did you worse for it. Be careful with what you buy, having money in a privileged state like we do comes with a certain responsibility.

Buying something that isn't worth it doesn't just cost the money you part with, it also wastes your time and energy and is also kind of unethical (as it keeps the people who provide poor products in business to con some more). It clutters up the house, if you dispose of it it's bad for the atmosphere... but the packaging is bad for it anyway. Same with the processes it may have taken to make the goods. Family or the people you live with or even the postman might also get annoyed at things you're getting so that may make you less likely to get things that WOULD be good, then you might miss out on the things you really want to buy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2009 07:27PM by SuperInfinity.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 12, 2009 07:25PM

In my opinion, there is not an easy way to spot trolls; I have probably been fooled many times. But, I don't really look for them, either. However;

Trolls take on several forms, I suppose.

Wikipedia says this: "Tn Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community,

such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion"

That is the typical definition, although the type you are describing are more nefarious in nature. Perhaps Wiki should update its' definition to include different types.

I feel the same as you about this, and I also like to post questions about the different products that I may be interested in purchasing. At this point, what I would say is this;

Watch for posts/reviews from posters that you recognize, and balance the reviews/opinions against what you may read elsewhere online, such as in an Amazon purchase, other forums, friends recommendations, etc.

I also talk to my local organic grocery store owner, as he owns a V-Mix & Green Star juicer & some other related appliances. I've been a member of many forums for a fairly long time, and I still can't spot them all! (Trolls)

Just my .02 smiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 12, 2009 08:26PM

Molli,

Most of the people coming on here specifically to sell something are obvious: they don't participate in a discussion, or they participate in a discussion only to plug their product. The ones that seem to end up here, and there have been veeeery few, have been chiefly pushing raw products, or books, or DVDS. So, in that sense, if you were looking for a new distributor for something, a troll; or marketer, could be useful to you. Otherwise, they're just breaking up the convo needlessly. You can always get info on distributors that peddle things you are looking for by checking out links posted by those of us that here to get and offer support. Most threads that are answering a plea for product info or advice will have some kind poster or other providing links to something or someone they've used and liked.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 12, 2009 09:28PM

Molli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sometmes I read posts where someone thinks that
> some of the posts are from a troll. Do some
> people selling products actually come on here
> misrepresenting their reason for being here, and
> talk about their product to try to "encourage"
> people to buy it? Since I'm new to raw, I have a
> few products that I will be purchasing over the
> next few months. If trolls are really doing this,
> that totally turns me off from buying their
> product! I'd rather have someone be honest and
> admit that they are selling a product then to post
> some long post about something and then to be
> called out as a troll. Is there an easy way to
> spot trolls?

There are probably different kinds of trolls and also shades of gray. Take a vendor who owns/sells many kinds of blenders or juicers. If he doesn't say anything and has a lot of experience, we lose the benefit of his insight and knowledge. If he recommends a particular product, he could be accused of trolling,i.e. his main motivation is to be here to sell things, not contribute. I think it's tough to tell on that fact scenario what is happening. If a vendor is stuck with an oversupply of blender x or juicer y, they could have alterior motives. ... then again, may just be rendering an honest opinion based on their experience. I for one would prefer to hear this type of person out and make my own judgment than lose the opportunity to hear them at all. Others may disagree.

Far more problematic to me on this forum are the thought police, posters who try to control posts through admonishment and threat what science will not support to prop up preconceived ideas about what the 'best diet' is. To my way of thinking, not listening to alternative points of view openly and nonjudgmentally is a sin. As long as posters are trying to present ideas consistently with the general underlying purpose of the forum, to support a raw vegan lifestyle,some latitude should be granted.

Paul

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2009 09:35PM by pborst.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 13, 2009 09:00AM

they are hairy little men that carry crooked canes made out of wood and they walk over and beneath bridges... sometimes they wear clothing made all out of leaves... they might snarl if you try to feed them anything but venison

then again.... the thing is that if you click on their name, they will usually have less than 5 posts and their name kind of sticks out cuz they are brand new

it is true, they rarely contribute to any discussion whatsoever ( less than 5)
and if they do, it is to then give exposure to their wares

sometimes i don't mind because I actually like to know what is out there and some are legit

i trust that i will make the right decisions concerning this matter and i've never stepped on a troll landmine

as far as making controversial remarks

this is what this forum is for

to explore what is within and outside of the box

and challenge oneself

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 13, 2009 03:13PM

The word troll has taken new meaning.
I always thought they were those little plastic dolls with the bright green hair.

Vinnie

Posted by: Amarynth ()
Date: August 14, 2009 03:01AM

Hm, interesting. As an avid role player, I have heard the term 'troll' once or twice...but never truly paid any mind to them. In my experience, anyone who 'attempts' to disrupt a subject or thread or in my case, a really great game, is as easily ignored as they are given the attention that they crave. I choose to ignore trolls. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables