Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

need to increase calories.. suggestions?
Posted by: petrichor ()
Date: October 05, 2009 01:23AM

I feel like I'm eating all day long but i still never get much past 1,000 calories unless I eat a very-high fat meal which I'm trying to stay away from.

For the past couple of days I'm been trying to juice/monomeal breakfast and midmorning- then a simple green smoothie (1-2 types of fruit with greens) for lunch. For dinner for the past couple of nights I've had a large bag of romaine hearts with a little nutritional yeast/celtic sea salt/cumin sprinkled on it.

Yesterday for breakfast I had a grapefruit, soon followed by 4 small navel oranges blended with 2 bananas and spirulina (filled me up). Late afternoon I blended 3 large mangos (that's all I could get down). Then for dinner I ate kale chips (5 stalks of kale), romaine hearts and then snacked on seaweed (5-6 sheets nori plus dried laver).

I'm eating till I'm full- and at night always want to eat eat eat. I cannot get down more than 7 bananas a day, and I can't imagine if I'm getting all my calories from mainly bananas all the time, that I would be getting the proper amount and variety of nutrients.

Can anyone offer any simple blended recipes/foods that can increase my calories? I'm trying to follow 80/10/10, So minimal/no fat recipes would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: need to increase calories.. suggestions?
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 05, 2009 04:53AM

Perhaps you need to do some more physical activity. Are you getting any exercise?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 05, 2009 05:55AM

im wondering if all that nori and laver isnt perhaps making you more thirsty then you think and possibly mistaking thirst for hunger smiling smiley just a thought ...

re: your question .. a cup of blueberries = about 60-80 calories depending what source you check from ... a cup of diced apples is 75-90 calories ....1 whole grapefruit can = over 100 calories

just some ideas smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: CMiller ()
Date: October 05, 2009 04:54PM

Have you tried making crackers? I had the same trouble with constant hunger, even though I was devouring mountains of fresh food.

Sprouted chickpea crackers, veggie crackers, buckwheat flax crackers, all fill me up as well as provide amino acids and lots of good fiber.

You can also try muesli or soaked oat groats with nut milk. If you're trying to keep fat to a minimum, just reduce or eliminate the nuts and coconut most cereal recipes contain and fill up on the soaked/sprouted grains. Finely chopped apples, with a sprinkle of cinnamon is one of my favorite, less-sweet additions.

Listen to your body. We all need good fats and complex carbs to function properly. You might just need a tiny bit more of these to satisfy your hunger.

Best Wishes!

Posted by: petrichor ()
Date: October 07, 2009 05:07PM

Thanks for the tips

I do exercise but not as much as I should. One-hour yoga sessions 2-3 times a week, and I try to go to the gym and do 45 minutes of cardio at least once a week although I would like to increase that.

My water drinking varies, possibly due to the amounts in my fruits/smoothies. Some days I feel like drinking organic herbal tea all day long, some days I don't have any water at all. I was on a sodium kick for the past few weeks, I'm once again working on cutting it out with the exception of a little seaweed and of course natural sodium from foods like celery. Maybe drinking a large glass of water next time I feel like munching more?

Trying to do this grain-free, so crackers and stuff probably wont be coming into the picture. Does anybody recommend eating dried fruits? If so, what kind? I would buy from Whole Foods..

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 07, 2009 05:47PM

I recommend fresh fruits, nothing dried.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 07, 2009 06:21PM

2kg of grapes should put you past the 1000 calories mark.

Humans are natural eaters. Gorillas have to spend many hours of the day eating. We're not as heavy as gorillas naturally, but we're still a lot heavier than say, baboons, who eat for a long time every day as well. And yet so many people wonder why they're fat. They're fat because they're eating artificial "foods" that have a bazillion calories in them, not because they're eating too much physical food.

Perversely, a lot of people have tried to say "eating" is a bad thing, that we should try to eat as little as possible. Or that eating shows laziness and so on. Well if you believe in the whole eating less calories = less fundamental aging idea, and it is a VERY airy-fairy idea, then changing your routine so you're naturally eating less might be fine. But don't ever restrict or say "no" to yourself if you want to eat.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2009 06:25PM by SuperInfinity.

Posted by: rawpreston ()
Date: October 07, 2009 11:20PM

I just ate 1000 calories in about 5 minutes.

10 bananas, couple ice cubes, bout 1.5 cups water. blend it up. delicious.

you're probably just having stomach size issues from just starting out with 811. I see this all the time, it's due to our stomach becoming too small over the years from all the super dense cooked and fatty foods, since they are so non-voluminous. fruits+veg have tons of fiber and water, and more stomach room is needed to pack in the same number of calories as before. don't worry about it, just keep eating big meals and your stomach will stretch out naturally to accommodate this in a short time.

if you're worried about nutrients, don't be. your lack of nutrients from grossly undereating are more concerning than any perceived lack of nutrients from a large banana meal or even eating bananas every day. eating bananas every day is not a concern at all. I would only be concerned if you ate ONLY bananas for months on end. have you plugged your entire diet into cronometer/nutridiary/fitday and checked the nutrients?

How much do you weigh? 1000 calories is seriously nothing. It's enough calories for a 100lb person to lie in bed all day long and do nothing else. I'd highly recommend you get active and get eating!

I'd skip the seaweeds.

have you read the 80/10/10 book? it's a MUST-read if you're trying to do it. quashes all the fruit fears, explains all the hows and whys, and contains tons of sample meal plans.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables