Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

flaring
Posted by: Hellokitty ()
Date: October 08, 2009 05:00PM

ok i am flaring, i have really desided to really try with david kliens diet as it is the softes thing on my gut. today i have only eated bananas which i cant cut as they give me strength and 2 mangos. i will have 4 more mangos for dinner and that is it.

my big problem is working. i tend to mix my diet at work. i tend to eat alot of avocados at work as they feel like they ground me for some reason. when im at home and relaxed a high fruit diet seems to be ok, but as soon as i leave its salads nuts avacodos, all my simple eating just goes out the window. ho hum what to do with myself sometimes.

I have to get a scope so they know the extent of my desiese. they also gave me a prednisone enema. i tried it and i feel teriable. i don't like it one bit. I didn't haver any urgency before i took it now i took it my colon is groaning at me, and it is spitting mucus (sorry for the grafic explanation but that is what uc does, it is not a nice illness)

I dont really know what to do i don't like taking the meds but i need to stop the desiese from spreding, i dont want to lose my colon, and have major surgery.

by the way this is what is in this med. cetomacrogol emulsifying wax, cetostearyl alcohol, oleyl alcohol, sodium hydroxide, technical white oil, phenoxyethanol, sorbic acid, polysorbate 20, disodium edetate, purified water and butane 48,

my dyslexic brain can not even pronounce these words, but i think it will kill all the good and bad bacteria in my colon. im scard, i dont want to continue flaring but i dont want this in my body.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flaring
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 08, 2009 05:37PM

I was under the impression nuts and seeds are supposed to avoided while you have UC

the ingredient list is essentially a list of preservatives, emulsifiers, thickening agents, preservities, lubricants , etc.

cetomacrogol emulsifying wax [en.wikipedia.org]
cetostearyl alcohol [en.wikipedia.org]
oleyl alcohol [en.wikipedia.org]
sodium hydroxide [en.wikipedia.org]
technical white oil
phenoxyethanol [en.wikipedia.org]
sorbic acid [en.wikipedia.org]
polysorbate 20 [en.wikipedia.org]
disodium edeetat [en.wikipedia.org]
purified water [en.wikipedia.org]
butane 48

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: October 08, 2009 08:02PM

Thanks for that infor Jodie. these chemicals dont look good to me. and oleyl alcohol- this one why would they use inedible beef fat. im not liking this one bit. why would they use that, why would you put something that is not edible up your colon. oh no what should i do about this. hummm sad smiley

I will have to meditate for a wile and think about that.

are nuts and seeds supose to be avoided? i dont know, they are in pauls book, he uses them quite alot.

i wish they could just use something natural. or find something natual. i think that these leagal chemists are just as bad as the illeagl ones making illeagl drugs.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: October 08, 2009 08:17PM

Hellokitty

when im at home and relaxed a high fruit diet seems to be ok, but as soon as i leave its salads nuts avacodos, all my simple eating just goes out the window.

You are doing great. Just like a big ship needs time and space to change direction so too does a person need time and space to make major changes to long standing habits of diet and lifestyle. Keep a gentile hand on the rudder and stay the course. Keep listening to your body signals and steering a course for natural health.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 08, 2009 08:25PM

HK,

I think that diet may not be the only thing you need to consider when trying to heal your UC. For healing to occur, there needs to be a clean diet, which I think you are working on quite well. But your body may need some additional help to allow itself to heal. The main thing would be more rest and sleep. You have a stressful jobs, and stress takes away from your body's ability to heal. Reducing stress, worry, and anxiety would go a long way to allow your body to get the energy you need to heal yourself.

The other thing you might want to consider is to do a long supervised water fast. There are hygienic fasting retreats in the tropics - Vida Clara in Belize, Dr Doug Graham fast in Costa Rica, Loren Lockman's Tanglewood in Panama. Also here in California is True North in Santa Rosa. With a supervised water fast and no eating, your digestive system will get a chance to rest and allow itself to heal.

I understand the need to eat avocados to ground. You are working in a high energy situation with people eating SAD foods and taking a lot of stimulant - coffee, tea, chocolate, colas, energy drinks, meat and other animal products. That kind of energy coming towards you can get you ungrounded. But eating fatty foods while your intestines are trying to heal can be a challenge to your healing.

If you can't make it to a supervised water fast, you might want to consider taking a leave of absence from work. When my huge detox came on and I was experience massive chronic fatigue, I took 4 months off from work so I could get all the rest and sleep my body wanted.

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: October 08, 2009 08:50PM

Hellokitty,

Nuts and seeds should be a no-no. I think Paul uses them now, but not while he was recovering. Maybe you could try some creamy nut butters, but I would recommend dropping the fat for awhile, I know it's hard, but you're doing a wonderful job and I'm so proud of you for looking for an alternate way.

Date: October 08, 2009 09:27PM

thanks everyone, i wouldnt manage this with out this fourm.

Bryan your right about my job, its a sales job and being a manger leads to stress, im afraid in this world the push for money is always there. i honesty did hand in my notice and was planning to leave. the company then begged me to stay until christmas. i really dont want all that at the moment.

i think if i stay i will make myself worse. why cant i say no to these bosses.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2009 04:59PM by Bryan.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 08, 2009 09:56PM

HK,

You can choose to be proactive or reactive about your healing. If you are proactive, you will heal in less time. If you are reactive, you will experience more pain and more damage to your body, and you will suffer for a longer period of time.

Being proactive is recognizing that something isn't working right now with your life situation, and making the changes necessary for things to work again. By this I mean taking time off for your body to heal until you are strong again and can easily handle the stress, or realize that this line of work is too stressful for you even under the best of conditions, and finding another line of work.

Being reactive is ignoring the signs, and letting your health degrade until your are forced to make the change. But in the meantime, you make take medications, have minor surgeries, and various medical procedures to hold you over, but still things will continue to get worse until you remove the cause of your disease. And as you do the western medicine, other parts of your body get weaker, say like your liver, and you start to have secondary problems that are not related to your UC. If you go this route, you will have to take more time off from work than the proactive approach.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: October 09, 2009 07:18AM

Hk, I don't know what 'David Klein's diet' is exactly, but from what I know of David Klein, I'd be surprised if his diet was designed to run alongside medication and I'd suggest that you could not give the diet a 'fair test' in those circumstances.

Ask Dave what he thinks of what you're taking.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2009 07:22AM by debbietook.

Posted by: newhoove ()
Date: October 09, 2009 07:59AM

HK,
Your inbox is full smiling smiley The prednisone enema or suppository that you are taking is composed synthetic chemicals that interacts with your adrenal glands. Without pretending I'm a doctor, I'm going to simplify what the drug will do. It will temporary suppress your immune system so the inflammation in your colon will go away. Because one of the ingredients is cetomacrogol emulsifying wax, I'm guessing it is a suppository which tries to localize the drug mainly to your colon to produce less side effects.

Reducing inflammation by medication does not mean it is fixing you. I think acute care medicine is not a bad thing. If you increases your quality of life just for a few days, maybe this temporary 'mask of symptoms' will buy you time to really focus on the 'true' way of dealing with UC and adapt a better strategy that works for you. The natural way. Don't beat yourself up over it!

I've fallen many times, but I still get up. I read alot of your posts and you are buoyant and resilient individual who will get back up too!

Hang in there and think of it as:
"What can I change and do better to prevent this in the future? (emotionally and physically)"

Date: October 09, 2009 08:00AM

yea ok i dont think he will respond though. and i know what he will say. its because i had trouble staying on a solid fruit diet.

any way i do do fasts but i feel so bad when i do this. i feel like my body is going to snap and break. like bryan says i think i need to be supervised, but i dont know anyone here in london. i feel flimsy alot of times really

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: October 09, 2009 09:06AM

Kitty.....I understand why you're so good at your job,
and why your bosses want you to stay on....you have Something.
Everyone here Loves you....WY

Date: October 09, 2009 09:31AM

new hoove thanks for that i know your right about this med, as you would know you know excatly what this is like.

thank yogi smiling smiley

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: October 09, 2009 12:43PM

Hellokitty

Have you heard of Dr. Gina Shaw. She does supervised fasts and retreats here in England. Might be worth looking her up - I get her regular e-mails, always very interesting and useful.

I did a quick google and found this - haven't read it yet as in tearing hurry but thought it looked relevant [women.timesonline.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2009 12:46PM by flipperjan.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: October 09, 2009 01:24PM

This was one of the best books I've ever read....a prized
possession that I gave to a friend. It's long out-of-print, but this
synopsis, and following online copy should point out that our bodies
can heal themselves.....WY

[www.geocities.com]

Posted by: Soraya ()
Date: October 09, 2009 05:43PM

Wheatgrass Yogi - was perusing the board, saw this link and just finished reading that entire book at one sitting; thank you for this good deed! I don't have UC myself but this has information that could benefit anyone. Thank you again!

Hellokitty - I wish you all the best. I know what it's like to suffer from illness for so long that it becomes "normal" to feel horrible. I hope that you are able to discover the best solutions for your body / situation. I do agree with Bryan's last post - don't wait until things get worse to react - act now before your body is forced to take things into it's own hands(been there, done that)! You really need to get some rest and take steps to decrease the amount of stress you are under / develop habits which will aid you in dealing with stressful situations in a healthier manner.

Stay strong and remember that you have to put yourself and your health first!

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: October 09, 2009 06:04PM

Dr. Gina Shaw's web site [www.vibrancyuk.com]

Posted by: petrichor ()
Date: October 09, 2009 07:21PM

HK, I'm in the same boat as you.
As a suffering crohns patient, here is what I've learned so far. My crohns has been flaring going on one year this month. I went high raw back in April, starting with a very complicated transitioning diet high in fat, and I've been simplifying ever since. Avocados make my gut churn and are very difficult for my intestines to digest. Too many nuts and seeds give me full-blown attacks. I even struggle digesting oils. Salads are at this point in time, too much roughage for good digestion. After my last flare of debilitating symptoms, I decided I was giving those up for a while. I am now trying very restricted mono mealing, and I have high hopes. Until my symptoms are fully gone I plan on eating melon (breakfast only), blended papaya, blended mango, bananas, and banana-greens smoothies. Eat when hungry, stop when full. Drink more water. Once symptoms are gone, I plan on re-introducing more easy to digest (probably blended) foods. Fats are one thing I'm learning I can't handle during the healing phase. Not even half an avo. Those will be severely limited. Salads will be replaced with energy soups.
I also agree with the others on medications. I have been refusing prednisone for months, it's not a healer. It's a suppressor. You are not allowing your body to do the healing when you take medication that interferes. David Klein did mention this in his book. Obviously you need to make your own educated decision knowing the condition your health is at. The only time I ever plan on taking medication for crohn's is if I'm facing surgery- just to buy some time.
Also, try to stay positive. Negative thinking brings negative results. Stress makes these illnesses flare. Sleep assists healing. Sleep, sleep, sleep, as much as you can.
I have been stubborn for months, but little by little I am learning with you. Eventually you have to do what you know is best for your body.

Date: October 09, 2009 07:30PM

thanks petrichor. colitis/chrones both are not easy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables