Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

MY CAT LOVES AVOCADO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 08, 2009 10:07PM

What a whacky discovery !!!!!!!!!!!!! We recently rescued a kitten (to give us a total of NINE - 9 felines!!) and this little guy is so spunky and delightful and full of energy and smiles and cuddles. He's a darling and not scared of anything. Well, tonight I was experimenting with a "Energy Soup" recipe and dropped a piece of avocado on the floor and he pounced on it and devoured it like no tomorrow!!! I put down a couple more small pieces and he cleaned the plate and licked it clean and is crying for more!!!! What a hilarious little cat!! Who knew???!!! *LOLOL*

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MY CAT LOVES AVOCADO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: rawpreston ()
Date: October 08, 2009 11:12PM

Yeah, cats have a taste for fat like we have a taste for sweet. But I have heard avocado is toxic to them.. be careful.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: October 08, 2009 11:19PM

Oh wow!
I have a kitty and might try him on an avocado sometime.
Would be interested to know about that Energy soup too.

Vinny

Date: October 08, 2009 11:22PM

Yikes, I didn't know it could be toxic for him. Will look that up and be careful. Thanks for the warning.

Eaglefly - I posted about the Energy Soup on the other forum

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 08, 2009 11:25PM

GOODNESS GRACIOUS !!! JUST FOUND THIS INFORMATION!! THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE WARNING! So glad he only ate a few pieces.

Avocado:
Avocado contains a toxin known as persin. It is found in all parts of the avocado & is toxic to most domestic animals. The symptoms include gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, respiratory distress, congestion, fluid accumulation around the tissues of the heart and even death.

Here's another helpful link. Who knew? WOW

[purrfectpets.today.com]

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 09, 2009 03:58AM

so uhhhh... i've eaten my share of avos

and i've never had any of those symptoms

and i thought most humans are DOMESTIC ANIMALzzzz:!

how come it didn't affect me?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 09, 2009 11:44AM

It is disappointing when one's pet really enjoys a natural food that can hurt them. I think that this is one of those cases where assessing the effect according to geography works: what felines exist where avocados grow naturally, and do they prowl the fields scarfing up the fallen fruit? I think even housepets have an instictive gustatory memory, and this lets them know what's safe to eat. But if it's something not indigenous to their ancestral diet, the instinct gets confused.

Posted by: thenewguy ()
Date: October 09, 2009 12:43PM

My cat loves Cantaloupe "guts", Not the skin. Not the meat. Not the seeds. Just the goopy stuff on the inside.

Date: October 09, 2009 01:34PM

thenewguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My cat loves Cantaloupe "guts", Not the skin. Not
> the meat. Not the seeds. Just the goopy stuff on
> the inside.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah. That's just too cute and funny!! Our animals are hilarious. I just read an beautiful quote online today -

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

I think I'll make that my motto / signature. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: October 11, 2009 09:15AM

Both of my dogs eat avocado. Ani phio's dog recipes feature avos.
I also heard that they were toxic. I asked the vet about it. He told me that the practice had received many enquiries about avo toxicity over the years but had never been required to deal with a case.
ffx

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables