Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How Much?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 14, 2009 07:29PM

I'm on Day 2 of Week 2 of my new 100% raw diet. In just this short time I've had a dramatic improvement in how I feel, and am therefore delighted to have found this lifestyle change for myself.

But that doesn't mean I don't have lots and lots of questions. My most pressing question right now is the two sides of "How much?" -- specifically:

1. How much nuts (protein and fat) and/or avacado (protein and fat) does one need to consume in a day? OR, how much is too much? (I'm in this for health reasons, which includes needing to lose about half of me, and I've read that some people GAIN weight by eating too much of the wrong things. What are the wrong things, and how much is too much?)

2. In general, how much does it cost YOU in a week to eat this way? How much nuts per week do YOU consume? (Estimates welcome.) How much avacado?

I downloaded a "free report" that said we should eat mostly fruit -- pounds and pounds of fruit per day -- and only 2 oz. or so nuts. Not all that much greens, compared. I hope this person has it wrong, because the ONLY way I can do this diet is with bread substitutes and "warm" foods at least once a day. As winter wears on I'll likely need "warm" food more than that. So, what do ya'll eat in a day?

I sinned twice, both times quite consciously as a fix for letting myself to get toooooo hungry, which in times past while dieting has resulted in my grabbing the wrong foods and then going off the diet for the rest of the day which almost always stretched into weeks. I must not be eating too much of the wrong things because I'm losing about a pound a day except those two days I sinned and only maintained my previous day's weight (which is nothing to sneeze at).

So, what do you eat and how much is it costing you?

Thanks in advance.

Belles

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How Much?
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: October 14, 2009 08:13PM

Like you, I'm in this for health reasons. Weight loss has been a great side benefit. I feel better not eating any nuts and I eat just one avocado a week. I get enough protein from spinach and greens (and other stuff). Have you tried entering what you eat each day on fitday.com ? It will show you graphically how much protein, fat and nutrients you are getting. Try to keep your fat under 10% and you'll be fine.

I live in New Zealand so my costs wouldn't compare well with yours. Although I get some more expensive fruits for variety, I always get apples because they are filling and cheap here.

Happy health!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 14, 2009 10:17PM

Hello. Great questions. I'll take a stab:

1) There is plenty of bio-available protein in an all-raw diet. You should only eat as much fat (even raw fats) as you feel you must to maintain weight and condition. I think the 80/10/10 are some pretty good guidelines....and 10% fat in a day is more than enough. A good guideline for beginners is to try to eat your fat (nuts and avocados...etc....IN your salads. Too much fat would probably be anything over 30% of daily calories from fat. The best raw fats are things like small seeds (flax, sunflower, etc.) and avocados.

2) About $50 per week for just me - but I don't particularly shop for organic produce. You could probably double that if you purchased all organic. I eat nuts these days...but probably about 1 lb of sunflower seeds per week. I used to eat many avocados...now I just eat 1 or two a week...if that.

3) I think that for most people transitioning, you shouldn't worry about precisely WHAT you are eating.....as long as you are eating reasonable amounts of fat...and eating raw...most folks do well. LATER, you may want to 'refine' your diet...as you learn what items digest easily for you...and what things do not. Many will start their transition eating massive amounts of greens and veggies...and that's cool. Later, they may switch to more fruit...as their system becomes more clean...and that's cool too.

Note: Of course, everyone must ask themselves 'Am I eating for heatlh or eating for pleasure?" The two are not mutually exclusive...but those who put more emphasis on the former in their goals...will experience less cravings. It also pays to have life goals that include the kind of health that only fresh raw food, exercise and sunlight can provide.

2nd note: As a beginner, NEVER let yourself get hungry. Better to be STUFFED with apples...or celery...or grapes or whatever. Eating light foods constantly (every 2 hours at least) can help many people to keep their metabolism up and lose weight. Just my experience.

-Hope this is helpful.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 14, 2009 10:34PM

WONDERFULLY helpful responses. Thank you both so much. Now I'm even more curious and would love to hear from others about what and how uch they eat as well.

Thanks!!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: October 14, 2009 10:40PM

That was an excellent post David. I wish someone had given me that advise when I started. smiling smiley

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: October 15, 2009 12:23AM

2nd note: As a beginner, NEVER let yourself get hungry. Better to be STUFFED with apples...or celery...or grapes or whatever. Eating light foods constantly (every 2 hours at least) can help many people to keep their metabolism up and lose weight. Just my experience.

For me, this advice was and STILL IS invaluable! Thanks for reminding me David...

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: October 15, 2009 12:27AM

Always have your own food with you. I always keep some kind of fruit in my purse or car. It has saved me from myself many timessmiling smiley I also have a stash of dried fruit at my desk at work for desperate timessmiling smiley

Posted by: RaeVynn ()
Date: October 16, 2009 08:28PM

Always carry fruit with you. I pack an insulated lunch bag with bananas, peaches, grapes - whatever I have.

Eat enough at a time! A "meal" should be around 500-600 calories. That's about seven bananas, or nine peaches. If you eat much less, you will get hungry again, faster. You should try for three or four solid meals a day.

Start with breakfast. Eat a large, fruit breakfast. It will give you energy to get through the day, and will help you to avoid cravings later on.

Get and read the book: 80/10/10 by Dr. Doug Graham.
Other helpful books include: Green for Life by Victoria Boutenko

Gourmet Raw is fun, time consuming, and usually pretty heavy in fat. Try to limit yourself to one or two GR meals in a week, at first. Eventually, you might find yourself giving up GR altogether, as you become more accustomed to eating raw. GR does help with tummy fullness, the lack of which is something that takes getting used to.

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
We are all in this together!
Namasté

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables