Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

RAW Garlic Onion Soup - Thoughts ??
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 25, 2009 07:31PM

Haven't tried it yet, but sounds yummy. What do you think?

Ingredients:

One cup walnuts
One cup olive oil
Two cloves garlic
Two and a half cups water
One teaspoon salt
One teaspoon black pepper
Parsley for garnish

Directions:

Blend all ingredients except parsley until smooth. Garnish with a sprig of parsley.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RAW Garlic Onion Soup - Thoughts ??
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 25, 2009 07:41PM

This meal is 2709 calories. 95% fat, 2% protein, and 3% carbohydrate.

Are you sure you want to eat that much fat?

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: October 25, 2009 07:45PM

Whoa! That much fat would do anyone in. I see why you haven't tried it yet!
(You omitted the onion, but I get your point anyway.)

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: October 25, 2009 08:19PM

I would leave out all the ingredients except the Garlic and Parsley and add fresh Orange Juice.

Date: October 25, 2009 10:51PM

Good Point(s). That's why I come to the experts. =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 25, 2009 11:01PM

Oops, Bryan, you're wrong - =)

Total Calories 557.9
Total Carbohydrate 5.0 g

Calories per serving of Raw Garlic Soup
363 calories of Olive Oil, (0.19 cup)
196 calories of Walnuts, (0.25 cup, chopped)
2 calories of Garlic, (0.50 cloves)
1 calories of Pepper, black, (0.25 tsp)
0 calories of Parsley, (0.25 sprigs)
0 calories of Salt, (0.25 tsp)
0 calories of Water, tap, (0.50 cup (8 fl oz))

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: October 25, 2009 11:47PM

I make a blend of juice--carrot, parsley, lemon, apple, celery, and garlic... tastes just like soup! I'm sure you could make a blended soup that way, too, that might end up being a bit lighter. If lightness is a concern. =)

There was a blended potato soup I used to LOVE when I was still doing a bit of cooked, and I created a raw adaptation--by the time I had enough pine nuts and olive oil in the mix to match the taste I wanted, I'm sure the nutritional stats were the same as that walnut-onion soup.

What I did, then, was warm the soup on the stove (doing the no-burning-finger test) for just a minute or two, and then poured it over a giant bowl of kale. I turned a super-fattening soup into a delicious warm salad. It totally hit the spot, my expensive soup lasted much longer, and I ended up eating a lot more greens in the process! =)

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 25, 2009 11:59PM

plainlydressed,

I put the entire recipe into the nutritional calculator. I notice you broke up the recipe into a smaller portion - the olive oil portion is 1/5 of the total. Multiply your calorie number by 5, and you will get similar numbers to mine.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: October 26, 2009 06:27AM

Hi plainlydressed

1 cup olive oil - huge amount of fractionated 'food' - very high in fat.
2 cloves garlic - see garlic/onions thread!
1 tsp salt - high level of toxic substance
1 tsp black pepper - carcinogenic.

Yum.

(Well, you did ask us what we thought!)

Date: October 27, 2009 01:31PM

debbietook Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (Well, you did ask us what we thought!)

Yes, I certainly did, but after being slammed for my CONTINUING love of Garlic and Onions, I just might not do that again. I prefer to keep my raw journey fun and stress-free without arguments, debates, and hair-splitting. I sincerely thank you all for your educated and intelligent information as I move through my journey. Makes me realize just how STUPID I really am about this stuff. This forum's wonderful, encouraging, non-judgmental, non-critical, non-debating, non-sarcastic style of sharing just makes me smile. *grin* =) I, for one, am willing to freely admit that I am FAR from expert about any of this, and I hope that I always treat others with nothing but encouragement, respect, and positive reinforcement as each individual finds THEIR individual path to a life full of health, happiness, and disease-free living. =) Let me never stand in judgment of those whose opinions might differ from mine.

Happy eating to all of you, WHATEVER your personal choices, preferences, beliefs, and practices are!

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 27, 2009 03:49PM

Plainly Dressed,

I seems that you may be feeling criticized and that's unfortunate. However, I think there has been a miscommunication that started with a transcription error of the recipe amounts in the beginning and that led to a lot of miscommunication. Look back to your very first posting and you'll see that the quantity of oil was given as

"Ingredients:

One cup walnuts
One cup olive oil"

Then in a later posting you restated the quantity as

"Calories per serving of Raw Garlic Soup
363 calories of Olive Oil, (0.19 cup)
196 calories of Walnuts, (0.25 cup, chopped)"

There is a huge difference in those amounts. When I read the first posting and saw one cup of olive oil along with one cup of walnuts, I honestly thought you put those high amounts as a joke, (not knowing that you meant 1/4 cup or less of each). Others may have thought you meant the higher amounts and were concerned for you. Certainly no one was calling you "STUPID... about this stuff" as you wrote about yourself above.

I, too, "am FAR from expert about any of this, and I hope that I always treat others with nothing but encouragement, respect, and positive reinforcement" and also wish you "Happy eating... whatever your personal choices, preferences, beliefs, and practices are."

If I smoked, I'd offer you my peace pipe. I don't, but am sorry for any hurt feelings you have.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: October 27, 2009 09:46PM

The walnuts would be the weak link IMHO. Maybe coconut water instead of the water, and add some celery & carrot juice to make it taste more savoury/'soupy'.

I like using a drizzle of oil rather than a large amount. Less is... more smiling smiley

Date: October 28, 2009 05:02AM

Plainlydressed

You asked us what we thought of the recipe you posted in your opening thread which contained, amongst other things, a cup of walnuts and a cup of oil.

It was extremely, incredibly...high in fat (and salt). I tried to lighten my post with some humour.

No one's 'judging' you!

Could I suggest you don't post and ask people 'what they think' unless you actually want to know what they think?

I was sad to see your post in response to mine, as it contained a lot of inferences, and in fact I spend huge amounts of my time helping and motivating those new to raw.

Please visit my website www.rawforlife.co.uk, which is full of free information that you might find useful on your raw food journey.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2009 05:12AM by debbietook.

Date: October 28, 2009 01:47PM

Trive Wrote:
> Plainly Dressed,
>
> If I smoked, I'd offer you my peace pipe. I
> don't, but am sorry for any hurt feelings you
> have.

Oh Honey, no no, I'm so sorry. I actually vented in the wrong thread. I was making reference to the Garlic/Onion thread. It simply amazes me how people are incapable of sharing information or opinions without the judgmental sarcasm that I'm afraid so-often chases off newbies that come along through the forum. It amazes me to watch the changing and flaring moods and attitudes of such self-professed healthy people when other members express opinions or beliefs that might differ from their own. Instead of respecting our differences, we *ALL* tend to show some sort of personal offence when we simply cannot understand why everyone else does not think like or believe like *US* and our tempers flare and judgments fly. I EXPECT that type of interaction from others who do not share our belief or lifestyle for RAW veganism in ANY form, but it usually stands true that our biggest battles come "from within." I was just complaining about the other thread.

As for the soup inquiry, you're all absolutely right. I asked. You answered. And I would expect nothing less.

I just continue to hope and pray that when I answer innocent questions from newbies or those who may not be as far along the journey as I am, that I exercise caution in my answers so nothing I say or do will ever discourage them or make them feel less intelligent than the rest of us who have traveled the road much longer and further. I often detect alot of sarcasm from the aged/wise ones directed toward the (legitimate) innocent new babes in the experience, and I never want to frighten them away from each brand new and exciting step. I'm just proud for their first wavering steps into the COMPLETELY un-known! =)

Ok, enough rambling. As I said, I responded in the wrong thread, but would rather not return to the other one either, so my discussion in BOTH threads has ended here. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 28, 2009 01:51PM

debbietook Wrote:
> Plainlydressed
> I was sad to see your post in response to mine, as
> it contained a lot of inferences, and in fact I
> spend huge amounts of my time helping and
> motivating those new to raw.
>
> Please visit my website www.rawforlife.co.uk,
> which is full of free information that you might
> find useful on your raw food journey.

Honey, I'm very sorry. Please read my post above to Trive. My comments were misdirected into the wrong thread. I DID ask, and you all DID answer, and I expected nothing less. winking smiley THANK YOU!!

And please keep the humor coming, because I fear we should all be miserable fools without it. I spend more time laughing at myself than others, as I find myself an endless source of hilarious entertainment. *LOL* Thank heavens I don't have to rely on MYSELF for direction or I could be syndicated!!!! *LOLOL* =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 28, 2009 06:38PM

Hi, pd

Apology accepted, and greatly appreciate your posting.

Very best wishes to you! E-mail can be a tricky medium...:-)

Date: October 28, 2009 10:14PM

No worries. G'day.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: November 01, 2009 08:40PM

i like the coconut juice idea
lemon juice too
garlic
parsley
then maybe durian
durian tastes kind of garlicky anyhow
it would be interesting

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables