Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

In Crisis - Need Help
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 31, 2009 06:05PM

Went down with an apparent stomach flu on Monday (Fevers, nausea, diarrhea, etc.). I've mostly recovered except for continuing diarrhea, varying from pure liquid to very soft and runny. I'm running out of strength and fortitude and getting very concerned with continuing diarrhea now for 6 days non-stop. I can't keep ANYTHING "in," literally, as it runs right through me.

I've been trying everything under the sun in desperation. Eating handfuls of Charcoal capsules several times a day, in hopes of absorbing the toxins or virus raging in my belly, but it doesn't seem to be making a dent. I stopped my daily juices because the main bulk of the juice is apple, and I know that apple juice can encourage diarrhea (or at least not help it). I went to drinking warm, flat Ginger Ale (I know I know I know!! But I'm desperate!!) to settle my stomach and also read somewhere that it can help make stools less watery. Whether that is from sugar content or not, I don't know, but I'm desperate to find ANYTHING that will work !!! I've tried raw foods, mostly mild, smoothies, avoiding acidic foods, fatty produce (avocado / nuts / seeds), cooked foods, NO foods..... Trying to keep hydrated, but it's hard because of my unsettled stomach.

By now I am very weak and dizzy and very tired and extremely frustrated and concerned. If this continues, I will have to seek medical help, because I'm afraid it is getting dangerous. I can't eat/drink ANYTHING without immediately racing to the bathroom. NOTHING stays in me and seems to run right through.

I'm desperate for any suggestions or information that I might be missing. Thanks so much for any help.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: In Crisis - Need Help
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 31, 2009 06:30PM

It sounds like you have food poisoning. Its best to just stay in bed and only drink water until you feel well enough to eat. And then when you first start eating, eat simple mono fruits or tender leafy greens until you are sure you are better and can move on to more challenging foods to digest.

Lots of rest and sleep will help your body heal faster.

Date: October 31, 2009 06:52PM

Thanks Bryan, but would it last for so many days? Wouldn't the charcoal help to absorb the poisons?

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 31, 2009 06:59PM

When the body is compromised, like on the very first day you got sick, doing various treatments and therapies can further weaken the body. So all the various things you tried to eat to make things better potentially made things worse.

Charcoal is not a normal thing the body expects. While the charcoal can absorb things, and your body can get rid of the charcoal, perhaps this extra load when you were sick and your body was trying to expel other poisons just overburdened your already sick body.

Date: October 31, 2009 07:06PM

Ok thanks. I'm off to sip water (distilled) and nap the day away. =) Will keep you posted. Thanks. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: October 31, 2009 07:23PM

For the loss of electrolytes that you are experiencing, would it not be a good idea to take something like coconut water? I know, the last thing you are interested in hearing is more about food/juices, but thought I would just throw that out there, since you have had so much fluid loss over the past week.

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: October 31, 2009 10:57PM

plainlydressed,

When I got hit with those symptoms, I thought it was food poisoning also. But it really is a phase of the virus. Sipping water is good if it stays, I could not, it just came back up. Young coconut water really helped me. It's very easy to drink and got absorbed when water would not. Can you buy them where in your area? I"ve shipped them to friends before. Let me know...

I was also helped by Bryan's suggestion in the H1N1 thread to drink very watery banana smoothies. Try that when you feel you can stomach it.

Hang in there and try to keep yourself hydrated, the symptoms will pass.

Sending healing power prayers your way!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2009 11:03PM by swimmer.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: November 01, 2009 05:54AM

I agree with the watery banana drink..when you can stand to eat again. Fresh coconut water is good also, but make sure it's good coconut water and not tainted with a bad smell or taste..or it could make you worse off.

Also, you might try a couple drops of hydrogen peroxide in a glass of drinking water one or 2 days in a row.

Also, another thing would be to try a little Lugol's Iodine the 2% or 5% solution. I get mine from an online source. There is magnescent which is good also but I really dislike the alcohol in it, I think there is one that is formulated with water though.

Wishing you wellness very soon!

Love,
Prism

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: November 01, 2009 06:17AM

isn't hydrogen peroxide bleach? That can't be good for you smiling smiley

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: November 01, 2009 07:43AM

isn't hydrogen peroxide bleach?

Hydrogen Peroxide is just water with extra oxygen added. The chemical composition is H2O2 which means 2 parts Hydrogen and 2 parts Oxygen. Water is H2O which means 2 parts Hydrogen and 1 part Oxygen.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 01, 2009 11:04AM

plainlydressed,

It sounds like food poisoning to me(my guess is E.coli). I agree that you should lighten your load digestively and drink coconut water, but I'd advise you to have clinical testing done to determine what it is. I know there are people on here who believe that your body can ward off anything, and I suppose that's possible when in excellent health. But I think it less possible when the insult is coming on the heels of another infection--you're getting over the flu, right? Your immune system is compromised. As a clinician, I think you probably have seen enough food poisoning to know how it ravages the body. I'd want to know specifically what I'm dealing with if I were you. Please keep us posted, dear, and get well soon.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: November 01, 2009 01:00PM

'I can't eat/drink ANYTHING without immediately racing to the bathroom. NOTHING stays in me and seems to run right through. '

Your body very much doesn't want anything to eat now, whilst it is marshalling all of its energy to eliminate toxins (the 'diarrhoea').

Do as the animals do when they're unwell. Don't eat. Rest. Drink water only.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: November 01, 2009 02:15PM

EZ rider - if that is the case how will two drops added to a glass of water help?

Date: November 01, 2009 02:19PM

swimmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> plainlydressed,
>
> When I got hit with those symptoms, I thought it
> was food poisoning also. But it really is a phase
> of the virus. Sipping water is good if it stays, I
> could not, it just came back up. Young coconut
> water really helped me. It's very easy to drink
> and got absorbed when water would not. Can you buy
> them where in your area? I"ve shipped them to
> friends before. Let me know...
> Sending healing power prayers your way!

Swimmer - Thanks so very much. I can get young coconuts here at a local grocer and will definitely try that. I, too, tend to believe that it is more viral than anything, but it is frustrating nonetheless because EVERYTHING just goes right through me. Rested yesterday and drank water, but was hit with the "runs" again last night and finally settled down enough to sleep all night. Back at it again this morning. Will definitely try the coconut when I feel well enough to go out later today. Thanks so much for the very kind offer. =)

Prism Wrote:
> Also, you might try a couple drops of hydrogen
> peroxide in a glass of drinking water one or 2
> days in a row.

Prism - that's interesting that you should say that because I've always been a believer in drinking FOOD GRADE H2O2 carefully diluted in distilled water. I actually did try it in the beginning of my flu, but backed off because of all the stomach problems. I hadn't been doing it long enough to go through the "healing crisis," so I didn't want to add that extra burden on my system when it was already compromised. I might try it again to see if it will help to "kill off" this insistent bug. (For those concerned about this practice, just google "Hydrogen Peroxide Therapy" to learn more about it. Hugely controversial, but very successful for myself in the past. Just got out of the practice awhile back and have to re-introduce it slowly.)

Tamukha - Yes, I think I will seek medical help soon if this doesn't clear up soon. I agree that we are to use as many natural alternative healing methods as possible, but common sense provides convential medicine when absolutely necessary. *sigh* I'm just so TIRED of this.

Debbietook - Yes, I slept most of yesterday afternoon and all night til very late this morning. Will get some coconuts later today when I feel like going out.

Thanks so much to all of you and will keep you posted. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: November 01, 2009 02:21PM

flipperjan Wrote:
> EZ rider - if that is the case how will two drops
> added to a glass of water help?

Do a google search on H2O2 Therapy or Hydrogen Peroxide Therapy. I understand EZ rider's suggestion because the typical schedule is to use 35% FOOD GRADE H2O2 diluted down by DROPS into distilled water. A google study on the subject will explain more. It can be hugely successful when practiced carefully and EXACTLY as instructed, however, it's very controversial and I haven't the energy to explain it all right now. Google will help. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: November 01, 2009 04:13PM

"Where There Is No Doctor" Home Mix Rehydration. Adult up to 3 litres daily.
In 1 litre of water, add 1/2 tsp. salt (no saltier than tears). 8 level tsp. sugar (molasses). To this you can add 1/2 cup fruit juice, coconut water or mashed ripe banana.
Sip often, every 5 minutes, day and night. It suggested avoiding mainstream doctor, because the antibiotics they prescribe are dubious.
Feel better soon.

Date: November 01, 2009 04:57PM

Thank you, OkunDeji. I have that book and used it often when I was a mission nurse in Central America. I completely forgot about that book !!!! Thanks so much for the wonderful tip. I'll go dig it out of my textbook collection. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: November 02, 2009 12:15AM

Calling Dr tomorrow for appt. This is getting serious and I'm getting scared. 6 days of non-stop liquid diarrhea and it is zapping my strength and making me feel sicker and sicker by the day. Tried the coconut water, but at this point, NOTHING I eat or drink or NOT eat or drink is staying in me and it is getting serious when I am losing 2-3 quarts of pure liquid each day. Harder and harder to replenish the hydration when it just makes me sicker and runs right through me. I tried to rest for one full day with nothing but distilled water. Managed to get down 2 full quarts, but it ran right through me just like I had eaten actual FOOD. I was afraid of losing too many e-lytes, so I added fresh squeezed lemon to the water later just to replenish SOMETHING into my system!!

Today I tried drinking Chia Seed gel in hopes retaining some hydration AND in hopes of some kind of healing or absorption by the seeds. They ran right through me in about 2 hrs. Sipping on fresh young coconut water now, waiting for the dreaded sick feeling to send me pattering off to the bathroom again.

Enough is enough. Taking a little "sample" into the Dr tomorrow and seeking medical attention. Tomorrow will be 7 full days of non-stop diarrhea and it's time to seek help. *sigh*

Will keep you posted. Thanks so much for your support and especially for your prayers. I'm starting to get scared now, and very worried. Update later.

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: November 02, 2009 12:17PM

plainlydressed,

Keep us posted; Our thoughts & prayers are very much with you. I can fully understand your concern, especially in regards to dehydration. However for me, I would most likely never seek medical attention, at least not conventional medical attention. We have a naturalpath that we are loosely associated with & we would probably go to see her in a situation such as yours.

Since I firmly hold to the belief that modern medicine holds no (healthy) answers, I wouldn't go looking for them there. Now, that is just my feeling; please don't misunderstand my position, as I am not trying to be judgmental at all, just wanted to convey my views on the subject matter.

I as well, would definantly be very concerned if in your position - I would just want to take a different approach, that's all.

Please keep us updated on your situation, we're all pulling for you!

God Bless, JK

Psalm 91
Psalm 103

Posted by: Helen ()
Date: November 02, 2009 02:24PM

I heard that psyllium husks help not onlyagainst diarrhea but also against inflammations in the stomach.

Maybe taking an alkaline bath in the tub (with alkaline bath salt or soda / natron) would help, too.

Get well soon!

Helen

Posted by: Helen ()
Date: November 02, 2009 02:35PM

BTW - do you know rejuvelac?

It is kind of fermented water that is full of useful bacteria for a healthy stomach.

You need:
2 cups of wheat or spelt
some lemon juice
water

Directions:
rinse wheat / spelt. Put in bowl. Cover with 4 cups water. Add some lemon juice, about 1 tablespoon. Cover with a cloth. Let it sit for 2 days.

After 2 days, you can drink the water. It tastes a bit "fermented". That is healthy!

You can pour 4 cups fresh water over the wheat / spelt. Then, for the next 6 days, you can drink the water every morning and put some new water in. After about 7 days, you have to throw the wheat / spelt away, or I use it to make raw bread.

Rejuvelac (the fermented water) really helps against bloating and winds, and it strengthens the intestines.

Sorry, my English is bad today.

Helen

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: November 02, 2009 02:39PM

Ah, yes, a salt/soda bath might be very soothing while you're waiting for your doctor's appointment. I love my doctor but just can't get an appointment when I really need one, "we have an opening on the 23rd...", ha!, not going to work.... so I call my hospital and ask who's available today.

Date: November 02, 2009 11:10PM

Thank you all so very much.

Juicerkatz - I am not at all offended and actually support your position. I do appreciate your input because I know it is sincere and from the heart and completely non-judgmental.

I actually sought conventional medical help for a diagnosis more than a treatment - or at least to help me determine my next step in treatment. As a nurse working around sick people all day, there is a very real concern with C-Diff, Shigella, and other such blood-borne or food-borne pathogens - especially in a society where people STILL don't wash their hands after using the bathroom!! (Grrrrrrr!!!) I completely believe in using natural methods for healing, but I wanted my "specimen" under a mircroscope so I know what it is we're dealing with. Plus, if I have a pathogen of those sorts, it is highly highly contagious and I am required to use extreme caution at work and elsewhere.

Having said that, I'm waiting for the results of the lab work and specimen testing and was, of course, armed with the traditional course of conventional medications. Thankfully I haven't needed anything today because the watery stools seem to have slowed a great deal since last night. I am desperately hungry for FOOD, but get so sick from it, so I armed myself with a quart jar of Chia Gel to nurse all day at work, and, "BY GEORGE," I believe it's WORKING !!! I started the Chia Gel yesterday evening and drank almost the whole jar of gelatinous, seedy goo today at work (talk about COMMENTS from co-workers!!! hahahahahah!!!), and my stools have settled (actually STOPPED) today, thank goodness!!!

Still very weak and exhausted and nauseated; and keeping the medications handy in case I relapse. But I'm very thrilled with the turned corner after a very rough night last night. (At least 4 hasty trips to the latrine.)

I'm very anxious to find out the test results so I know exactly what I'm battling, and also very anxious to see how I keep improving on this new-found Chia Gel remedy. It kept me going strong, hydrated, and not hungry all day at work. HORRAY !!

THANK YOU for the rejuvelac suggestion as well. I had studied a bit about it, but not alot. Your recipe sounds easy and simple to make / drink. We'll take things slow and see what the test results show and will go from there.

I will definitely keep you posted and I send my HUGE thanks and gratitude for the support and prayers and suggestions to keep me going on the path to healing.

{{{Hugs}}}

—Thomas Jefferson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables