Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fat survey
Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: August 13, 2006 01:41AM

Just out of curiousity, to see how my diet compares to other raw folks, how many grams of fat a day do you estimate you eat? I want to eat more nuts and seeds because I'm craving them, but I think already I'm getting about 80 grams of fat already a day. I eat avocado, coconut, nuts & seeds everyday, so I wonder how much fat is too much fat? I'm kind of petite to start with, and really need to gain more muscle, not fat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fat survey
Posted by: amanda1382903 ()
Date: August 13, 2006 04:15AM

I cant even begin to guess how much fat I eat in a day. I know its a lot, and lately I've been wondering the same thing, how much is too much? I have 1 avo, at least a handful or two of nuts/seeds, and a tablespoon or more of tahini everyday. Wow, thats gotta add up. Any experienced raw fooders out there have any insight on this?

Posted by: innervegetable ()
Date: August 13, 2006 04:36AM

How many grams is an avocado?

I'd say about 2-5 avocados worth of avos, nuts/seeds, coconut, olives, durian, oils, and fattier fruits like bananas

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: August 13, 2006 06:29AM

Check www.nutritiondata.com for grams of fat contained in each food. In the right hand corner of the home page, you can enter each food. If you enter "avocado", then on the next page, if you click "Avocados raw, all commercial varieties", you will get charts listing the amounts of all the essential nutrients for avocados - including fats. You will also get the percent DV for each nutrient, which is the percent of the RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance) supplied by the designated serving size.

To be accurate, you must first adjust the "serving size" at the top of the "avocado" page to "1 avocado..." Next, scroll down the page until you get to the "Fats and Fatty Acids" chart. The top item of the chart says, "total fat" and indicates that the serving size (1 avocado) contains 29.5 g of fat, or 45% DV (daily value), meaning that the 29.5 g of fat in 1 avocado equals 45% of the amount of fat you need in a day, or 45% of the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA).

Since the % DV is based on an overall estimate for everybody, you can more accurately assess the number of grams of fat appropriate for yourself by going back to the home page, click "tools" in the toolbar, then click "daily needs calculator". You can then enter your gender, weight, height, age, and level of activity to get your BMI (Body Mass Index). From that information, the calculator will figure your personal needs for each nutrient, including fat, and recommend your caloric ratio for carbs/fats/proteins.

You can also go to the "pantry" (see toolbar) and enter all the foods you ate on any given day for a breakdown of the total grams for each essential nutrient - including fat. You can then compare that information with the results from the "daily needs calculator".

In my opinion, nutritiondata.com is a good learning tool, and can give you at least a look at whether or not you are way over or way under what you supposedly need for any specific nutrient.

Best wishes, Ally

PS: I see you have another thread about protein. Nutritiondata.com includes protein charts for each food. Check the "Protein and Amino Acids chart" toward the bottom of the right hand side of each food page.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2006 06:41AM by Ally.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 13, 2006 12:49PM

100-200 usually, as much as 300 some days.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: August 13, 2006 03:59PM

Wow, is that safe? I've never had that much in one day, but I am tempted too, so that is why I'm asking. If I didn't monitor myself, I'd eat that much easy, because I love tahini, avocados, nuts, seeds and cold pressed extra virgin olive oil. I read that too much fat can make the blood platlets or something, too sticky.. I need to find it again and I'll post it. Please let me know if you have any data supporting that it is safe to eat that much fat in one day, even if it is the good fat.

Posted by: chilove ()
Date: August 13, 2006 05:27PM

Hello,

I've never measured it, but I feel the best on a very low fat, high fruit diet. Too much fat makes me feel tired and sluggish and gives me dry skin and yeast problems. I eat about one avocado per week. The rest of the fat I get is what occurs naturally in fruits and veggies, which contain a lot more fat than most people think.

All the best,

Audrey
www.rawhealing.com

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 14, 2006 05:07AM

80 grams of fat is 720 calories. If you typically eat 4000 calories a day, you are eating about a 20% fat diet. However, if you are eating more like 1500 calories a day, your diet is 50% fat. If your fat percentage is closer to 50% than it is to 20%, you are eating an unhealthy amount of fat.

If you eat only fresh non fatty fruits and vegetables, and you are eating enough calories to fuel your body's caloric needs, you will have more than enough fat (we only need 3% to 4% fat).

Eating fat does not create muscle. If this were true, bodybuilders would be at McDonalds rather than hanging out at a gym. If you want muscle, you need to exercise. The more you exercise, the more carbohydrates you need to fuel your exercise. The best form of carbohydrates on the raw diet is fresh ripe raw whole organic fruit.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 14, 2006 05:10AM

In the last 4 days, I haven't eaten any overt fats. I have been eating just fruits and greens. The last day I ate fat I had an avocado with my salad.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables