Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw food vs cooked weight gain and calories
Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: December 18, 2009 10:42PM

when i switched i lost a ton of weight, but i do not think i was eating less cals. can someone explain why this could be??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw food vs cooked weight gain and calories
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: December 19, 2009 12:25AM

I think the raw foods have a better energy yield for the digestive effort and the body uses the additional energy it gets to clean and maintain the body. Cooked and dead foods like salt etc provide more problems then benefits and are a liability rather then an asset. The body does the best it can with what its given.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2009 12:29AM by EZ rider.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 19, 2009 03:01AM

Switched from cooked food to raw food?

Chances are you were eating fewer calories, it just didn't feel like you were because you were consuming equal or greater bulk.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 19, 2009 04:58AM

ILoveJen,

I noticed the same thing.

Recently I read in The China Study that people who eat lots of meat gain more weight on less calories than people who eat very little or no meat - regardless of the amount of exercise. Dr. Campbell has studies to verify this.

Interesting, huh? Dr. Campbell says he thinks it's because meat takes longer to process, so it's stored in the cells.

Makes sense to me. I agree with EZ Rider. I think maybe the cleaner the food, the more easily it's used up by the body for fuel.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2009 05:08AM by suncloud.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 20, 2009 03:49AM

Suncloud,
"...meat takes longer to process, so its store in the cells."

I am not sure why, but that just sounds so revolting to me. Does that mean it becomes 'inert' in the cells, just forming unusable debris?

I have heard the theory that fat is one way for the body to protect itself from toxins. I guess its because a lot of toxins are fat soluble, so it might make a good 'sink' to put stuff that is accumulating.

I know in my prior experiments with going raw, I sometimes would experience rapid weight loss, way faster and easier than calorie restriction by cooked foods. I also found my skin looking better, with more color. With cooked dieting I would get paler and paler. I also often got huge pimples around areas loosing a lot weight. I wasn't alarmed, because I figured out that my body was getting rid of stuff the quickest way it could. Amazingly I can't see any scaring from them either.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 20, 2009 07:14PM

Hi Mislu,

Yes, it does sound revolting. I wish I still had my copy of The China Study so I could see exactly what Dr. Campbell said. I gave away my copy though, so now I'll have to get another one.

I'll probably give the next one away too. It's such a great book. smiling smiley

Like you, I've also noticed that eating raw gives my cheeks a nice rosy color, even when I'm not able to go outside.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 29, 2009 05:26AM

ILoveJen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> when i switched i lost a ton of weight, but i do
> not think i was eating less cals. can someone
> explain why this could be??

The calories are not as bioavailable in uncooked foods, they are too tightly bound to the fibrous matrix which your body can't completely break down. So one would expect that you'd absorb less of the available calories and phytochemicals as well as macro- and micronutrients. But this is a good thing IMHO because 1. what you do get is undamaged by heat and 2 there is so much more there to start with compared to other diets.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 29, 2009 01:50PM

arugula! I missed you! : )

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables