Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

why shelled hemp seeds?
Posted by: Helen ()
Date: January 08, 2010 09:06PM

Some raw foodists use shelled hemp seeds. What is the use of it? Aren't not-shelled hemp seeds more healthy?
Like you should also eat apples with the peel because most nutrients are directly underneath it.

Helen

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: why shelled hemp seeds?
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 08, 2010 09:22PM

Helen,

I don't know the nutrient difference between the hulled hempseeds and the unhulled seeds, but the hulled seeds seem to go rancid too easily. The ones that I've tried made me nauseous. I haven't had them lately, and maybe the product is better now. I almost bought some the other day.

Back in the day though, I would occasionally eat the unhulled seeds, and they were very good. If they're like many other seeds, they're probably healthier with the hull, as you say. I guess those aren't legal. Too bad!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 09, 2010 02:33AM

In the U.S., vendors are required to hull their hemp seeds that they cannot be planted to grow hemp, as it currently illegal to grow hemp in the U.S.

Posted by: Helen ()
Date: January 09, 2010 06:43PM

That is funny. In Germany, you can only buy unhulled hemp seeds, but you are not allowed to plant them.

As far as I know, there is only one German provider on the internet where you can buy hulled hemp seeds since a few months. Before, I would have had to order them in UK or US, if I wanted one.

I have not tried the hulled ones, I mostly use the unhulled ones.

Posted by: Lara_Hastings ()
Date: January 10, 2010 01:37PM

Same here, I haven't seen any hulled seeds. I guess they are more nutritious because there are more minerals and fiber in the hull.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables