Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

craving toasted bread with peanut butter
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 19, 2010 04:15AM

What's a good alternative to this?

Or

Peanut butter and jelly....any alternative there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: craving toasted bread with peanut butter
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: January 19, 2010 04:38AM

Be sure you are you eating enough sweet fruit to ward off cravings before they start, but if you just won't be satisfied... Here's an idea:

Dehydrate carrot or zucchini slices to make chips (in an oven at the lowest setting with the door partially open) and dab a nut butter of your choice on the chips.

If you have the time, equipment and ingredients, go to a site like www.goneraw.com for a raw bread or cracker recipe that has high "chew-satisfaction quotient." The hassle will keep you from doing this often (which is probably a good thing), but hey, cravings happen.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 19, 2010 04:48AM

I like those raw jungle peanuts a lot. (better taste than peanut butter, IMO)They're wildcrafted. Expensive, but they last a long time if eaten moderately.

Raw jungle peanuts and calmyra figs. Mmmmm. Haven't tried it really, but sounds good.

Date: January 19, 2010 06:06AM

Also, I have not made Essene bread, but it's sprouted grain and dried by the sun (so an oven or dehydrator isn't needed). When you come up with a good answer to your craving, let us know. smiling smiley

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 19, 2010 06:47AM

I was going to suggest a good dehydrated cracker, and some raw nut butter. I don't have a dehydrator, but I sometimes buy them ready made at the health food store. I found that fresh ripe thimbleberries have the taste and texture of filling in some pastries, cookies etc... Well, pretty close, as close as a berry can get. Its fresher tasting, and perhaps a little bit crunchier. Unfortunately thimble berries have a rather limited season, and I have never seen them available to buy anywhere.

I have seen some wonderful photos of stuff that looks close to pbj in julianos book, maybe you can look there.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: January 19, 2010 02:28PM

Maybe try avacado and apple

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: January 20, 2010 12:05AM

The dehydrated crackers or bread + sunflower seed or almond butter is good.

I really like Tahini (crushed sesame seeds) and organic raw, unfiltered honey by itself to stabilize me when I have cravings for bread-like things. If you don't do honey, you could eat the Tahini with buckwheat groats.

Buckwheat groats are a lifesaver when it comes to wanting starches that don't taste raw. I recently discovered them and I'm so grateful.

Good luck. "And this too, shall pass." Therese

Date: January 20, 2010 12:52AM

One more idea... maybe blending a fruit with mashed dates to make a sweet puree' would be like jelly?

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: January 20, 2010 05:15AM

Um no, fruit would not be a good substitute for a peanut butter craving.

Think about what nutrients are in peanut butter that your body is asking for. Whenever I crave peanuts, it usually indicates a need for magnesium. Try substituting spinach, and if your peanut craving goes away, then it was probably a magnesium deficiency. Otherwise, maybe your body is asking for fat (it is, after all, winter).

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 20, 2010 05:28AM

figs are high in magnesium, so is buckwheat.

Posted by: Helen ()
Date: January 20, 2010 07:29AM

I am having a major bread craving, too, these days. In Germany, there is such a variety of rolls, croissants, prezels,...

As they are so soft, making raw crackers would not help against it.

Maybe the suggestion to eat raw tahini would help.

BTW, what are buckwheat groats? Is it just buckwheat, or buckwheat soaked and sprouted, or dehydrated?

But be honest, if you crave bread really badly, does it help you to eat those things you suggested? In those moments I can only think "bread, bread, bread!" and I do not care about the rest of the world and my deep wish to become a real raw foodist. :-(

Helen

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: January 26, 2010 09:00AM

put an almond and two raisins in your mouth at the same time and chew.

or, get a fig or a date, and dip it in a nut butter.

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: January 26, 2010 04:51PM

I think the best substitute would depend on how long you've been raw, and how strict your diet is.

Some suggestions (from least strict to more strict):

Manna Bread with choice of nut/seed butter
Raw dehydrated crackers with nut/seed butter
Zucchini slices with nut/seed butter

Also, for a lighter alternative, avocado could be substituted for the nut/seed butter.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 26, 2010 05:57PM

Buckwheat groats are simply raw hulled buckwheat. I eat them a lot, and you can just soak them for around 4 to 8 hours, or they can be sprouted; however, I would not recommend sprouting to the point of becoming greens, as buckwheat greens can cause phototoxicity (hypersensitivity to sunlight).

A nice satisfying meal for me is soaked buckwheat mixed with soaked flax or other type of seeds, combined with vegetables. Obviously not a mono meal, but perhaps something that can combat cravings.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: January 26, 2010 07:06PM

try putting some raw nuts and dried freuits in your greenstar and make a kinda of a "fruit nut dough" which you can form into any shape of cookie you may like.
figs ,dates,apricots, walnuts almonds,peanuts, cashew, etc. can be used in the recipe.

you could also make a sandwich with it using raw crackers made from flax and other goodies.

i really enjoy the fruit nut dough when i crave something like a peanut butter and jelly as you described.

juicin' john

Posted by: greenlove ()
Date: January 28, 2010 07:47PM

Wow, check out this gourmet raw alternative, it looks so yummy, I think I'm gonna try it!
[rawdorable.blogspot.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables