Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What do you use to carry around your raw juices and green smoothies?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 25, 2010 01:58AM

I have some jars which I cleaned out. Pickle jars tend to be too wide, but I have a nice 12 oz. mason jar which works great. It has a screw top, which I find preferable to those canning lids. Glass is just superior to plastic. Better mouth feel, drinks stay cooler longer, doesn't retain odors, etc. I was just on the Green Smoothie site and saw a pic of a mason-type jar with a HANDLE! I tried to paste the pic on here, but it won't let me. It was way cool and if anyone knows where I can get my hands on one of these puppies, please let me know!smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do you use to carry around your raw juices and green smoothies?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 25, 2010 02:03AM

Hi, I have seen jars that came with jelly, pint size regular mouth mason jars with handles.

Date: March 25, 2010 02:06AM

007: Yeah, it was a mason jar with a handle! Where did you see one--what kind of store?

*Edit: D'oh! Google is my friend![askville.amazon.com]

Sorry. It may even be available at Walmart. I have never laid eyes on ones with handles--but I am also looking for a screw-type lid. I don't like those canning lids with the rings...I have scoured the shelves in the kitchen section for Pyrex stuff that might include glass portable drinking glass, but have never found anything of that sort. Thanks for the input!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2010 02:11AM by banana who.

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: March 25, 2010 04:10PM

gotta keep those liquids in the DARK - glass is not good at this!
I have 3-4 Kanteen Klean 40oz bottles - Stainless steel.

I make green tea the night before, freeze it in the bottle 1/3 of the way...then add the juice/smoothie to it!

I carry these in an insulated lunch bag - whinnie the pooh! haha - Its my kids!!'
:O)

Posted by: frances ()
Date: March 25, 2010 04:47PM

I use wide mouth canning jars too. They're cheap, easy to clean, the glass is non-reactive and they don't leak. I like stainless steel bottles, but they aren't as easy to clean with their narrow mouths and I can't see inside enough to know how clean they are, so I rarely use them for anything but water. Rawrnr is right about light being damaging to vitamins, but I feel fine about carrying my smoothie jars in opaque bags.

Posted by: morgenjune ()
Date: March 25, 2010 05:15PM

I have been using my clean canteen, you know, the ones that are swiss made and are available at WHole Foods and such. I do not know how big it is, I do know its over 20-oz. Im not sure how much you want to carry around with you but it is a good size, has a screw top lid and I believe they have different types of lids you can purchase to use. Plus it is not clear or breakable and they come with some pretty cool designs.

I hope this helps smiling smiley

nomnomnomnom...!

Date: March 25, 2010 07:42PM

morgenjune Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have been using my clean canteen, you know, the
> ones that are swiss made and are available at
> WHole Foods and such. I do not know how big it
> is, I do know its over 20-oz. Im not sure how
> much you want to carry around with you but it is a
> good size, has a screw top lid and I believe they
> have different types of lids you can purchase to
> use. Plus it is not clear or breakable and they
> come with some pretty cool designs.

When I think of canteens, I think of those fat, flat stainless steel jobs. Are you talking about the Sigg water bottles? They are not wide-mouthed, correct? Please check this out to confirm, but I went on the Internet when those Sigg bottles first came to WF's. I was suspicious because they did not label the metal's material. Sure enough, I found out that it was ALUMINUM!!!! Is that nuts or what? I was able to purchase a perfectly fine stainless steel water bottle (albeit without the cewl design like Sigg's) from Walgreen's for $4 versus $18! However, I am not really feeling the stainless steel. I prefer the look and feel of glass. About the antioxidant destruction: um...that sounds like it may be overblown. Besides, it's not like the smoothie lasts all that long in the first place!smiling smiley
>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2010 07:43PM by banana who.

Date: March 25, 2010 08:45PM

She's talking about the Klean Kanteen, that's what I use too. Easy to clean with a simple bottle brush from the dollar store and has an optional stainless steel lid too so no contact with plastic. I have them for the kids as well, sport lid for the dude, baby cup lid for the girl. They rock.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: March 26, 2010 09:56PM

The 32 oz Nalgene bottles are great for portable liquids since they're BPA-free (also have HDPE option) & lightweight. I've also use 24 oz glass jars. I have a 16 oz insulated stainless bottle I use to hold soup. I store the non-insulated bottles in a cooler bag.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Date: March 27, 2010 01:24AM

I use a 40 oz wide mouth Kleen Kanteen. I need to get a few more of these in different sizes. Really the best. (reusable bags.com has them).

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: March 29, 2010 05:23PM

Stainless is great, but glass is king! I carry my smoothies and juices around in my stomach !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 29, 2010 07:06PM

I got Bean's latest catalog the other day and this immediately caught my eye:

[www.llbean.com]

Date: March 30, 2010 07:02PM

Tamukha Wrote:
> I got Bean's latest catalog the other day and this
> immediately caught my eye:
>
> [www.llbean.com]
> y=504411&feat=504411-tn&cat4=504410

I looked at it but it seemed not enough of a wide mouth. Perhaps it's just the picture. I like see-through containers because it's very cool to walk around and show off your green drink, don't you think? And I want to be able to clean it properly. I really don't care for stainless steel bottles, to be honest. I wonder if anyone agrees with me...I prefer glass. I cannot believe that Pyrex doesn't make a glass portable smoothie container.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 30, 2010 08:39PM

I don't consider food-grade glass that safe for carrying around, as it's not durable. It would be nice if it were, because I'd prefer it to steel, in that case. Pyrex patented glass is especially unstable. One little scratch, you set it down on a sunwarmed surface and kaboom! You're in the hospital with shrapnel lodged in your sternum. I exaggerate slightly, but just Google "Pyrex exploding glass" if you want a good scare. This is how I ended up with stainless steel canteens--a large Mason jar is fine if you're not really active with it, but it could break. In any case, steel keeps a smoothie cold better.

Date: March 30, 2010 11:30PM

Tamukha Wrote:
> I don't consider food-grade glass that safe for
> carrying around, as it's not durable. It would be
> nice if it were, because I'd prefer it to steel,
> in that case. Pyrex patented glass is especially
> unstable. One little scratch, you set it down on
> a sunwarmed surface and kaboom! You're in the
> hospital with shrapnel lodged in your sternum. I
> exaggerate slightly, but just Google "Pyrex
> exploding glass" if you want a good scare. This
> is how I ended up with stainless steel canteens--a
> large Mason jar is fine if you're not really
> active with it, but it could break. In any case,
> steel keeps a smoothie cold better.

Yikes! I actually did have that happen with an Anchor and Hocking glass that I had taken from the fridge. But I have been toting around a mason jar with no issues and I think that it's pretty much okay. I mean, I have a bunch of Pyrex containers and have never experienced any breakage from them. You can put them in the oven, nuke them, put in fridge...I think the biggest risk would be from freezer to hot stove. I don't think a mere hot day would pose a huge risk. But thanks for the input!

Date: March 31, 2010 12:13AM

I second all that Tamukha has said about the unstable nature of glass. Just because it hasn't broken doesn't mean that it won't... at any time.. for what appears to be no reason. It's like a smoker saying "Well, my whole family smoked like chimneys and lived into their 80's and 90's so it won't do me any harm." or "I always drive drunk and I've never had an accident so I never will." That may seem drastic in comparison but I'm thinking about the misplaced faith people put in the durability of glass. Can you believe they even make pyrex...erm...adult toys? I find that beyond baffling.

Anyhoo, stainless is the best for travel. How often to I bump that flask in my purse or bag? I can tell you, it's Plenty!

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: November 27, 2012 05:11PM

I'm looking for some good stainless steel flasks to carry green smoothies around in. I saw some 'GLOGG' ones on Amazon, they seem to have good reviews and are a lot cheaper than the Klean Kanteen. Also they come in a 1L size which is handy. I wondered if anyone had come across these type of flasks, and if so what you thought of them? Or do you think it's best to stick with KK?
thanks x

Date: November 27, 2012 06:39PM

LOL- I thought: what a GREAT idea for a thread! Then I noticed that I was the authorwinking smiley

In any case, I have been using the mason jars for the most part. I was in a co-op the other week and saw a cover you can put on mason jars like a sippy cup. I don't know how much it cost but I was tempted to get it. But I need the screw-on lid anyhow for transport so it might be a bit extraneous.

Posted by: Pame'laVik'toria ()
Date: November 27, 2012 11:25PM

I use old pasta jars. When I juice, I always freeze extra in the jars. So I get green juice 2x a daysmiling smiley

My video to keep me inspired on my health quest: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: November 28, 2012 06:32PM

lol Banana who, I always think that when I see old threads of mine too! then I realise it was meee... a me from the past grinning smiley

Pame'laVik'toria, I'm surprised you can freeze your jars (I'm presuming they're glass), my glass ones always break in the freezer..?

Yes I too prefer to recycle glass jars, I currently favour old olive oil bottles, they have nice wide mouths smiling smiley But this is for a present, for my bf to take smoothies into work, he gets enough comments about the weird green colour, as well as the old bottles, so I thought I'd get him some nice new flasks and save his embarassment!

So if anyone has any thoughts on Klean Kanteen versus Glogg (or any other less expensive version) I'm all ears smiling smiley

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 28, 2012 06:35PM

I only like green smoothies fresh otherwise they get pretty icky if consumed a few hours later in my opinion anyway.

Juices and fruit smoothies i just store in my protein shaker.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Posted by: fruitylou ()
Date: November 29, 2012 07:10AM

what about tumblers for juices

Posted by: Pame'laVik'toria ()
Date: November 30, 2012 12:14AM

Just leave an inch or more. It grows by 10%. What I can't figure out is why they leak even though I tighten it as much as possiblesmiling smiley

My video to keep me inspired on my health quest: [www.youtube.com]

Date: December 02, 2012 01:00AM

Well, whaddha ya know... [secure.vitamix.com]

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 02, 2012 03:48AM

I carry my green smoothies in a quart mason jar, in an Igloo gripper 16 can cooler, along with an icepack to keep it cool.

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: December 07, 2012 06:32AM

Mason jars--no plastic, and they don't spill. I second that smiling smiley

[fresherthanlife.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables