Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Wanna see an interesting fruit tree?
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: April 29, 2010 10:44PM

Here's a fruit I've never eaten or even heard of. Anyone ever tried it?

[www.kuriositas.com]

Be sure to scroll down to see more of the tree.

My favorite raw vegan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wanna see an interesting fruit tree?
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: April 29, 2010 10:49PM

That is quite pretty, with the fruit growing off the trunk.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: April 30, 2010 12:15AM

I've never seen anything like that before - that's really cool! Seems like the birds would have a field day with that fruit...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 30, 2010 01:01AM

There are a few plants that flowers/fruits grow off the trunks of trees including cocoa pods can grow directly off the trunk of a cacao tree. This is called cauliflory. Here is a link.

[waynesword.palomar.edu]

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: April 30, 2010 06:15AM

Yes, we grow jabaticaba (might be a few different spellings) in Hawaii. Recently we found a new (to us) variety with bigger and even more luscious fruits, and we planted 3 trees. Right now they're more like bushes.

Those are really nice pictures. Trees studded with purple diamonds.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 30, 2010 01:38PM

What a fascinating evolution of "tree;" I love how it is explained that the berries sprout from the trunk and low down so animals that will disperse the seeds after digestion do not have to climb far to get the fruit. [slaps forehead]Duh! Why don't all trees think of this?

Maybe this tree is an alien visitor, from a planet where all trees propagate this way, but each produces a different kind of fruit having a different color and texture and flavor. Just imagine . . . .

Thanks for posting : )

Posted by: brome ()
Date: April 30, 2010 11:13PM

Nice, thanks Trive.

Here is an interesting bit from California Rare Fruit Growers:

[www.crfg.org]

Adaptation: In Brazil jaboticabas grow from sea-level to elevations of more than 3,000 ft. Different plants vary markedly in how much frost they can take without severe damage, probably reflecting the species that a given plant belongs to. Some plants can take 24° F or lower and survive; others are damaged at 27° F. In 1917, a young tree at Brooksville, Florida survived a temperature drop to 18° F. with only the foliage and branches killed back. In California jaboticabas have been successfully grown in San Diego, Spring Valley, Bostonia, Encinitas, South Los Angeles and as far north as the San Jose and San Francisco Bay areas. The plant makes a suitable container specimen.

[www.crfg.org]

This reflects a well established theory that most plant evolution occurs in the tropics and then the plants radiate towards higher latitudes and colder climates. If one searched the colder areas of its range many cold hardy individuals could be found, I theorize. And the same would be true of any fruit. PawPaws, from the tropical Custard Apple family (Soursop, Sweetsop, Cherimoya) grow in Canada!

Posted by: rab ()
Date: May 02, 2010 12:23AM

This tree does not waste time smiling smiley ...why growing branches, when you can grow fruit? smiling smiley))

It looks nice, really nice. I hope this it's natural way, and it is not a hybrid or something like that.

Posted by: Laura-Jane ()
Date: May 02, 2010 02:00AM

Wow, that is too cool!! Thanks for sharing. Never seen such a tree.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: May 12, 2010 10:14PM

thats rad! i love such things. Anything interesting for temperate climates?!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2010 10:15PM by Mislu.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 13, 2010 04:11AM

i so want one of those trees smiling smiley awesome !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables