Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Cinnamon Basil
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: May 12, 2010 10:08PM

Has anyone used cinnamon Basil? I am staying with a wonderful Italian family, and they are letting me plant a garden. The mother appreciated that I planted basil, until I clarified cinnamon basil. I guess she has never used that. She wants to make pesto, would cinnamon basil work?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cinnamon Basil
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 12, 2010 11:00PM

Eh, cinnamon basil is a weird Mexican hybrid, and tastes like cinnamon, whereas standard basil tastes like sweet herbaceous grass. I personally don't think basil and pine nuts and cinnamony herb would "go" together, but it couldn't hurt for host mom makes a small quantity of pesto with the cinnamon basil. It probably works better in a salsa . . .

Date: May 14, 2010 12:57PM

Thank you Tamukha, I might try a small batch. I am curious how it will make tomatoes taste. I planted them together in a flower pot, tomatoes are often influenced by plants growing nearby.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: May 16, 2010 02:27AM

I saw organic Chocolate Basil at the Health Food store. It smelled delicious but I wanted to check out the plant before buying something that might harm me. I gave up chocolate when I had to live through the negative effects on my body, e.g. nervousness, jittery, frequent urination, unable to relax, etc.

Good to know that Cinnamon Basil isn't heirloom. It's likely that the Chocolate Basil is the same. Sad.

Date: May 24, 2010 02:18AM

if its hybrid that means its bad? Thats not the same as genetically engineered?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 24, 2010 06:11PM

Mislu,

No, hybridized isn't bad, it just means agroscientists(or the farmer) cross bred two varieties of the same species of plant together and a new offspring variety resulted. I don't believe there is a single species of fruit or vegetable commonly found today that isn't a man made or Mother Nature made hybrid.

How'd the cinnamon pesto turn out?

Date: May 25, 2010 01:19PM

tamukha,
Thank you for the info. I am still awaiting for the plant to even sprout, so it may be awhile till I try the special pesto. We have regular basil available, but not in any great quantity, definately not enough for pesto. But I am hoping that the new pesto would work.

Date: June 17, 2010 09:31PM

No plants have sprouted yet. So I am still waiting to try cinnamon basil. I still can't wait!

Posted by: redfivenine ()
Date: June 19, 2010 08:00PM

i just ate the leaves, fresh picked off the plant, during my strolls through the herb garden....other leaves eaten fresh-picked as a snack include sage, dill, mint, nasturtium...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables