Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

wheatgrass juice and vomiting?
Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: May 21, 2010 04:19PM

hello lovely people,

I usually drink about 4 oz of wheatgrass maybe 3-4 times per week. I had some yesterday and threw up like 3 times. I love the stuff though. Do you think something is up?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wheatgrass juice and vomiting?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 21, 2010 06:02PM

Lizard,

Helloooooo! I find I have a nausea response only if the wheatgrass is sourced or grown differently from what I normally use. Also, it can be a bit shocking to the liver sometimes. Maybe keep trying with a smaller serving the next few times?

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: May 21, 2010 09:54PM

Maybe it's not a good thing to drink!!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 21, 2010 10:19PM

I love your title. And so timely as I am eating dinner...I cannot abide by the stuff. Even smelling it makes me wanna hurl. There are so many other greens which can be juiced/put in smoothies that I am okay with not drinking it but if you don't mind puking, you go!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: May 21, 2010 10:25PM

I can't drink it and ride in a vehicle on a curvy road (found out the hard way).

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: May 22, 2010 05:17AM

I hope I can tolerate it...I just ordered 10 pounds of seeds...lol

Date: May 22, 2010 11:55AM

Nubster,

I have found that when I grow my own, it tastes sweet and clean and I can tolerate a good sized serving, so hopefully this will be your experience.

Posted by: jan ()
Date: May 23, 2010 12:28PM

I grow my own and have no problem with it but in the past when I've purchased it and it sits in the refrigerator a while it makes me feel a bit nausea. I don't like to add it to my other greens because I just loive the taste of green smooties and don't want to ruin them.

www.myspace.com/greeneyedvegangirl
GO VEGAN!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 24, 2010 02:55AM

Lizard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hello lovely people,
>
> I usually drink about 4 oz of wheatgrass maybe 3-4
> times per week. I had some yesterday and threw up
> like 3 times. I love the stuff though. Do you
> think something is up?

Date: May 24, 2010 02:57AM

This wheatgrass powder is superior to every wheatgrass for taste, nutrition and portability. Check out the review and video comments on the following:
As the 'Go Green' movement gains momentum and you become more environmentally conscious, it's important to remember your internal environment too. Taking steps to rid your body of harmful toxins is crucial to keeping your body energized and rejuvenated. That's why Best Organic Wheatgrass recommends adding nutrient-rich wheatgrass to your diet. It helps detoxify and strengthen your body by Cleansing your Blood, Alkalizing your Body and it Nourishes!!!
Our Wheatgrass is the only kind grown AEROPONICALLY. This allows us to make our wheatgrass powder using the LEAVES AND ROOTS, resulting in nutritionally superior wheatgrass juice. Maximum nutrition is ensured because the cold drying process retains all enzymes and nutrients. 1 / 4 tray of wheatgrass and roots equals 1 packet of wheatgrass powder.
Try a free sample, simply go to [www.BestOrganicWheatgrass.com] and fill out the form on the home page. Let me know what you think!

To read the comments where our wheatgrass was evaluated and view the video:
go to this blog: [eathealthybehappy.blogspot.com]

“Go Green” Your body will thank you for it, in the way you look and feel!

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: May 24, 2010 07:12PM

Thanks everyone for the one replies. I used to drink the powder with no problem, maybe i will try that again. I love the health benefits I receive from wheatgrass, but now can't drink it "fresh juiced". oh well, live and learn I think I probably just had to much of it and my body is through with it for well....we shall seesmiling smiley

Date: June 02, 2010 11:47PM

i went to jamba juice to try wheatgrass for the first time i had the worst reaction to it. for sure my liver was hating me or something casue i threw up for hours and had a head ache and the shakes. i will never do that again!!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: June 03, 2010 01:29AM

lizard,

You'd be better off with kale juice or collard juice. Wheatgrass juice while healthful appears to be nothing special. "Proponents of wheatgrass make many claims for its health properties, ranging from promotion of general well-being to cancer prevention and heavy-metal detoxification. None of these claims has been substantiated in the scientific literature,[1] though there is some evidence in support of the beneficial effects of chlorophyll in the human diet.[4][5][6]"
[en.wikipedia.org].

Paul

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 03, 2010 07:46AM

i drink Evergreen wheatgrass juice
its grown in canada
but they sell in the U.S. in health food stores

i also think that it is abbbsolutely disgusting
to drink some of the jamba juice wheatgrass

can't stand it

i'm told the evergreen wheatgrass takes 200 days to grow to maturity instead of the indoor grown 5 - 7 days

also there is no mold due to the cold area where they grow it

it actually tastes extremely mild and actually pretty good

kind of like you just juiced some chlorophyllic rinds of melons

its good

but if u have an issue with it being frozen ( though they claim it is "raw" because the enzymes are still intact)

then, its not for you

as for me, i decided " what the heck.. there is always SOME thing"

so... what won me was the fact that i could actually keep it down

i actually don't have allergic reactions to ANY other fruit or vegetable, nut or seed except for wheatgrass

so... i'm sold

if anyone can figure out however why the company still claims its "raw" because all the enzymes and nutrients are intact , let me know

does anyone else buy this brand?

what's your opinion?

hey Wheatgrass Yogi,

was it YOU who mentioned that you also drank evergreen?

i don't recall

anyhooo

i read that the reason why this wheatgrass is good ( very mild tasting and none of that gag reflex inducing stuff from the indoor wheatgrass)

is cuz the place where they grow it is REALLY cold
so it inhibits growth of mold

whereas if grown indoors
it gets moldy

also 200 days ( which is how long they grow it) allows full maturation etc.

Well, i'm still a bit confused
even though i LOVE this product

i wonder how is it that it takes them 200 days to grow

and indoor only 5 - 7 days

i guess that was their point though..that 200 days allows for the full range of nutrients

but like i said

i CAN drink it

which is quite a relief

it tastes really agreeable

which i thought would be IMPOSSIBLE

then again

i still have questions

but right now

i'm on a little hiatus from wheatgrass investigation

and will just enjoy it

oh yeah

u have to thaw it

they come in little plastic cube trays

and you just put however many cubes you want in your fridge overnight

or you just put it out on the counter to thaw if you want to drink it sooner

i used to juice wheatgrass ( not grow it though)

i used to get it at local health store and just juice it

but even the smell of it would make me gag

i'm glad to take a break from all of that

viva la vida!!

Date: June 03, 2010 04:01PM

la_veronique,

I drink the Evergreen, too. My dog likes it better, however, and I have this suspicion that you need to double or triple serving sizes to get therapeutic benefits . . . bummer . . .

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 07, 2010 10:52AM

er...heres some stuff I found online about wheatgrass juice, its from the wikipedia article, so who knows if its truly accurate or not...

"Often, not all wheat berries will sprout. The ones which don't can turn mouldy. As growing wheat grass indoors usually requires the grass to be grown in small trays with the wheat berries in close proximity for a high yield, if any of the non-sprouted wheat berries develop mould, the close proximity may cause them to affect nearby sprouted seeds.

This may cause an unpalatable taste, and in extreme cases an allergic reaction[3].

This issue is not necessarily a problem when growing wheat in a field due to the sparser seed proximity."

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: angelpie ()
Date: June 07, 2010 05:15PM

Hello~
I just wanted to say that I never had any problems with wheatgrass and then the same thing happened to me. I ordered a shot at the health food store and I felt so nauseated afterword. I tried it again just to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the wheatgrass at the first health food store and I got so sick to my stomach. NOW, whenever I smell fresh mowed grass, which I use to LOVE, it just gags me down. sad smiley
Love, Melissa Halsted

Posted by: brome ()
Date: June 07, 2010 06:26PM

Hard red winter wheat is high protein and is recommended for wheatgrass. It is called winter wheat because farmers plant it in the fall before the first snow. It slowly grows under the insulating blanket of snow thru the winter and then really takes off when the snow melts. It likes it cold but grows very slowly then, but is much sweeter than when grown at warmer temperatures.

If you kept it cold it could take 200 days and be a much more palatable sweeter product than the standard warm 7 day sprout.

Posted by: RaysofLight ()
Date: June 07, 2010 07:33PM

Listen to your body. It may have been rancid, or something else that your body refused to put up with. Do you swish your wheat grass for at least 30 seconds to get it to mix well with your digestive enzymes in your before swallowing?

Wheat grass can be very intense. It may have something to do with what you ate prior to ingesting the wheat grass. Or if you tried to shoot it all down asap-it can do that to a person-ugh.

I grow my own. They say you can cut it 3 times before it's "done". My kids (and I) like it the first cut only-it is much better tasting. Sometimes I allow a second cut and that's it. You can really notice a difference in the color too, between never cut and second cut. Never cut-obviously, is a beautiful, dark green-second cut grass is a bit more yellow. My mother always taught us the more color and the darker your vegetables/fruits/food, the healthier it is for you-I find this very true for WGJ! Darker Green is tastier.
I have a pic of the difference in color 5th picture down -if you click on this link.
I took it with my crackberry-not the greatest resolution-you can see the yellower wheat grass on the right.
[www.livingfoodvillage.com]

Hope you feel better smiling smiley

PS how do you post pictures in your posts?

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 08, 2010 06:35PM

hi rays of light

i checked out your site and saw the wheatgrass posts

i was still a little confused

i never grew wheatgrass

so i'm wondering

what exactly do you mean by "cuts" and what is the significance of "cuts"

if you drink wheatgrass, you have to cut it first, right?

that's just a given right?

or are you talking about trimming?

you correlate it with color and benefits

i am confused

by the way though, i liked your photos of the "salad for LIFE"

what's in it?

is it a product?

i read what you ADDED to it

it looks beautiful

are those jacaranda lavender petals?

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: July 15, 2010 11:06AM

Food poisoning or something similar? Is the wheat grass washed before it is juiced?

Date: July 27, 2010 12:19AM

I felt compelled to register today just to respond to this thread, Regarding wheatgrass and vomiting, I'm 99% certain the earlier posts are 100% wrong.

Its true if one vomits within moments of consuming the juice, it may be the result of a superficial gut-reaction, but if one finds themselves say an hour later with sudden nausea, cold sweats, & finally some 'serious' puking (As I did just this morning :[, it is almost certainly the result of a toxic system being thrust into 'detox-overload'. Wheatgrass is truly super-powered when it comes to purging the body of garbage. If you've had this experience, its a clear indication of a toxic body. I'd get checked by a doctor first, if possible, then educate myself on how to do a SLOW extended detox (Including lower doses of wheatgrass), within the limits of what my system can handle.

We, the wheatgrass-pukers of the world, are the ones who will benefit most from it's nutritional qualities.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: July 27, 2010 06:24AM

Whatever the benefits of this juice or not - anything that makes the body react so violently cannot be a good thing in my opinion. I question this detox theory myself.

Date: July 28, 2010 03:04AM

Ya, I don't know either. I served (and drank) a Lot of wheatgrass over the years and I've seen people run to the can straight after having it, etc. I think if you get a little queasy later on it might be detox but... if your system really doesn't like it, why bother? Just keeping on with a healthy diet/lifestyle will detox you in time, no need to put the detox pedal to the metal, if YKWIM.

Date: July 28, 2010 09:27AM

hmm, I guess I must not be all that toxic then,lol... as I seem to be able to drink allot of this stuff without any problems, Ive even finally gotten used to the taste of it by itself which was a bit to strong for me at first, has been pretty cheap too since my friend who was selling me the 4 inch pots for $1 or a whole pallet for $5 decided to just offer me the seed at cost so I could grow it myself, my neighbor who actually has some sunny space for planters is even letting me grow whatever I want over there now as long as I take care of her plants for her too,lol...yaygrinning smiley but yeah, ive been drinking at least 4 oz a day and havnt been having any issues other than dark green...well, you get it,LOL.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 28, 2010 11:59PM

I always drink Wheatgrass Juice diluted with
Water, or Carrot Juice, or Celery Juice. I feel it
moves through our Systems better if it has a Vehicle.
Tastes better too.....WY

Date: July 30, 2010 01:38AM

I just had some today with watermelon rindgrinning smiley it was pretty amazing that way actually...and really beautiful looking too!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables