Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

chlorella and spirulina
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: June 11, 2010 07:22PM

Could you please explain what these are and what are the alleged benefits. Also why one should or shouldn't include them in the diet

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: chlorella and spirulina
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: June 12, 2010 12:09AM

I’ve wondered about them too, so I looked spirulina and chlorella up in Wikipedia…

Spirulina is an algae that is high in protein (between 55 and 77% by dry weight) and contains all essential amino acids, has essential fatty acids, has Vitamins B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (nicotinamide), B6 ( pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), C, D, A, E and a minimal amount of B12 (although it is not considered a reliable source of B12). It is high in potassium, and also contains calcium, chromium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, sodium, and zinc. It is high in antioxidants.

Various studies are cited for different benefits (e.g., improved weight gain and corrected anemia in undernourished children, protection against hay fever, reduced inflammation in geriatric arthritic patients, lowered cholesterol, increased HDL cholesterol, lowered triglicerides and lowered blood pressure); however, some of the studies may not be scientifically rigorous. Other sites have include claims without references of studies backing them (e.g., increased energy, weight loss, and health improvements in diabetes and cancer).

Rather than eat it for a specific benefit proven in one of the studies or hoped for by the claims of others, most people probably eat it to get the nutrients it provides which are good for you regardless of which food they come from and are there in one food. It does sound like spirulina packs a lot of nutrition in!

Chlorella is a different algae that is also high in protein, but it “loses most of its nutritional value when altered or processed” so people eat it for other health benefits. Claims include weight control, cancer prevention and immune system support. There is clinical evidence for it detoxifying dioxin in humans and animals, healing from radiation exposure in animals, reduced high blood pressure, lower serum cholesterol, accelerated wound healing and enhanced immune function.

Hmmmmm... I find it tough to try something I'm so unfamiliar with. Have others tried it and trust that it is beneficial?

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: June 12, 2010 12:11AM

Whoops. I just read the "Best Green Powder" thread and several people have commented on their use of spirulina and chlorella there.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 12, 2010 08:27AM

I like spirulina allot, and fresh, it has pretty much no flavor...

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 12, 2010 11:56AM

i try to only use one at a time so i can see what is causing the benefits, but the organic chlorella im using just now is great, it has really helped up my health to the next level, im not sure if thats from detoxing heavy metals or what but its appreciatedsmiling smiley.

good list thrive.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: June 12, 2010 03:02PM

Chlorella made me very ill. I was vomiting and diareah until there was none left in me. Im still not sure why this happened, it was a couple years ago.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: July 15, 2010 11:02AM

Spirulina is not an algae. Its old name is "blue green algae" but its more current name is cyanobacteria. It basically is a bacteria that can use sunlight for energy if it wants to.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: July 15, 2010 11:05AM

Are you sure that is wasn't spirulina you reacted to? Because I am allergic to spirulina and go through the exact same thing you did every time I ingest it. Also I get dry fevers.
Chlorella does not affect me negatively AFAIK.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 15, 2010 07:18PM

[microbewiki.kenyon.edu]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables