Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Gazpacho minus the onion?
Date: June 13, 2010 03:10PM

I made a raw gazpacho a few days ago, and used spring onions instead of normal onion. I had horrible indigestion and yucky burps! The spring onions made it worse, but I recall not liking the raw onion aftertaste of previous gazpachos I've eaten!

Does anyone have a gazpacho recipe without the onion, but that still somehow manages to have that savoury 'bite' to it? I was thinking of using a teaspoon of asafoetida, though I'm not sure how that stuff would taste in a raw dish?

Thanks smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gazpacho minus the onion?
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 13, 2010 04:40PM

Did you use some cilantro? I'm not sure what healthy food would create a bite. I don't like onions (or garlic), either.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 13, 2010 06:20PM

Actually, I never put onions, green or otherwise, in my gazpacho. Garlic, though. A clove or two...This isn't a formal recipe, but I got it from my mom and I love making it when tomatoes are in abundance around here, from late July onwards:

-a few pounds of sweet tomatoes (preferably not plum; get juicy ones!!!)

-a coupla cukes

-green and red peppers

-some cilantro

-several cloves garlic

-2-3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (for flavor and body)

-1/4th cup raw apple cider vinegar (this really makes it)

Distilled or purified water to make a little thinner.

Blend but possibly in a regular blender or food processor to keep it from getting too smooth. You want some texture in there!

*I like to top with sprouts if I am having an all-raw version. I have also done it with rye crisps and it was great. If you have raw crackers, go for it!

*Edit: I have a cast iron stomach for the most part, but raw onion doesn't feel good to me. It kind of burns...Green onion is okay for me, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2010 06:22PM by banana who.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 13, 2010 06:26PM

The thing that gives gazpacho that certain savory flavor is the combo of tomato and onion. A restaurant trick is to soak finely minced yellow(milder than white) or white onion in several batches of ice cold water for an hour to get the "bite" out of it. You rinse the onion thoroughly and add it in at the end. Alternately, you put coarsely chopped onions into the tomato mixture before adding any other chopped things, let it sit for 20-30 minutes to let some of the flavor leach into the tomato liquid, then strain the onion off and discard it, adding the remaining chopped ingredients to the tomato liquid after this.

I would not recommend asoefetida; it is sulferous, but in an eggy rather than oniony way.

Date: June 13, 2010 07:43PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The thing that gives gazpacho that certain savory
> flavor is the combo of tomato and onion. A
> restaurant trick is to soak finely minced
> yellow(milder than white) or white onion in
> several batches of ice cold water for an hour to
> get the "bite" out of it. You rinse the onion
> thoroughly and add it in at the end. Alternately,
> you put coarsely chopped onions into the tomato
> mixture before adding any other chopped things,
> let it sit for 20-30 minutes to let some of the
> flavor leach into the tomato liquid, then strain
> the onion off and discard it, adding the remaining
> chopped ingredients to the tomato liquid after
> this.
>
> I would not recommend asoefetida; it is sulferous,
> but in an eggy rather than oniony way.

I agree with you about hing (asofetida), also because it's a powder and fresh ingredients are much better. But I don't believe I use onions (maybe sometimes I use green onions, which are milder) but garlic gives a savory taste. But I forgot one ingredient: RAW SALT!!!!

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: June 14, 2010 04:46AM

What about using tomatillos instead of onions?

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 14, 2010 06:37AM

I soak onions in lemon or Lime juice overnight, depending on what im making, as it gets rid of usually all of the bite from the onions, just like cooking them does, so I get onion flavor without the bite... not sure how that would affect the flavor of a gazpacho though...

Date: June 14, 2010 06:51AM

Thanks for the responses smiling smiley

I usually use cilantro (or other fresh, salad-y herbs) for extra flavour. I think I'll try it minus the onion, and maybe add a tiny bit of garlic. I would have a go at experimenting with the onion, but I'm still having nightmares from last time :-D

Bryan- I think I've seen a tomatillo once in my entire life! UK supermarkets aren't very tomatillo friendly!

Date: June 14, 2010 06:56AM

banana who Wrote:
> -1/4th cup raw apple cider vinegar (this really
> makes it)

Thanks for the recipe!

What does the ACV do, taste-wise to the gazpacho? I've been using ACV to clean with/as a skin treatment etc for so long, I can't remember what it tastes like in food! smiling smiley

Date: June 14, 2010 01:31PM

I had another go- kept it simple- tomatoes, red pepper, cucumber, a clove of garlic and a dash of olive oil. Tasted a lot nicer without the onion but got indigestion again sad smiley

The toms & cucumber are organic, but the pepper wasn't.

My dad gets indigestion from cucumber... wonder if I'm suffering the same problem?

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 14, 2010 05:22PM

Cucumber could be the issue since your dad has problems with it, although some people, like me, have a hard time digesting raw tomatoes as well, as for some, much of a raw tomato is indigestible and some of its nutrients aren't available unless cooked with heat, or chemically cooked, hence the use of some form of acid in many raw tomato recipes I use...

Date: June 14, 2010 05:42PM

suspendedindefinitely Wrote:
> banana who Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > -1/4th cup raw apple cider vinegar (this really
> > makes it)
>
> Thanks for the recipe!
>
> What does the ACV do, taste-wise to the gazpacho?
> I've been using ACV to clean with/as a skin
> treatment etc for so long, I can't remember what
> it tastes like in food! smiling smiley

It gives it a tang, which is really great in the soup. It will taste different than lemon, however, so I don't see those ingredients as interchangeable. I would start with a couple of Tbsps. first, just to make sure that it doesn't overpower the soup. This recipe is informal, so I am just guesstimating about amounts. I also like the enzymatic feeling from the live veggies plus the vinegar!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 16, 2010 04:16AM

hey tamukha

cool trick

curator

that's neat soaking onion in lemon

great advice!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables